Boys World #1 - 1950

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Boys World #1 - 1950

Post by Adam Eterno »

No not THAT one!

I've just bought this comic from 1950 which is "edited by Basil Storey". Published by Sport-in-Print of London, I wondered if anyone had any info on it please as I can find very little on the Web?.
Attachments
BW1.jpeg
BW.jpeg

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Boys World #1 - 1950

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote: I've just bought this comic from 1950 which is "edited by Basil Storey". Published by Sport-in-Print of London, I wondered if anyone had any info on it please as I can find very little on the Web?.
I don't know anything about this BOYS WORLD, but I do know that Basil Storey was the creator and principal writer of SCHOOL CAP in the early fifties. For those who are interested, I posted about SCHOOL CAP on Thursday 13 August 2009 on the Comic Milestones thread. I didn't remember this date of course, but Al's search facility is excellent. :D

P.S. Someone should tell matrix about the motorcycle cover in case he hasn't got this one.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Could you confirm the address and postcode of the publisher please.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Could you confirm the address and postcode of the publisher please.
Sport-in-Print LTD, Mersey House, 132-4 Fleet Street, EC4.

Printed by Service Typesetters, Old Baily, EC4 & GT Wray, 332 Goswell Rd, EC1

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Thanks. I started my working life in Fleet Street and am interested in where publications came from in terms of premises. A friend worked in Long Acre - home of the Power Comics.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Thanks. I started my working life in Fleet Street and am interested in where publications came from in terms of premises. A friend worked in Long Acre - home of the Power Comics.
I know Long Acre well as my first 'proper' job in London was in Covent Garden in the early 80s.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've never been to Long Acre although I do go to the antique fair in Covent Garden occasionally. As Power Comics have a place in my heart perhaps I should go there to pay my respects. To be honest I don't even know where Long Acre is but will consult my London A-Z shortly. I probably went there as a messenger boy in the seventies but don't remember it.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:I've never been to Long Acre although I do go to the antique fair in Covent Garden occasionally. As Power Comics have a place in my heart perhaps I should go there to pay my respects. To be honest I don't even know where Long Acre is but will consult my London A-Z shortly. I probably went there as a messenger boy in the seventies but don't remember it.
You'll know it. It's the road that Covent Garden tube station is on. The one that runs down to Leicester Square.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

I had a look on Google Maps, and 64 Long Acre is the opposite direction from Leicester Square. From Covent Garden Tube go to the other side of Bow Street, and 64 Long Acre is on the right. there's a branch of Rymans at street level, but the floors above look like they haven't changed since the Power Comics days.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Funnily enough as a messenger in the early seventies i was always aware that, no sooner had the train pulled out of one of those stations, then it was pulling into the other and just two nights ago, reading an old newspaper, i saw an item saying consideration was being given to closing Covent Garden station as it was only a 35 second walk from Leicester Square station.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Funnily enough as a messenger in the early seventies i was always aware that, no sooner had the train pulled out of one of those stations, then it was pulling into the other and just two nights ago, reading an old newspaper, i saw an item saying consideration was being given to closing Covent Garden station as it was only a 35 second walk from Leicester Square station.
When I first moved to London, I spent months catching the tube from Embankment to Charing Cross!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...well it IS uphill! :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:You'll know it. It's the road that Covent Garden tube station is on. The one that runs down to Leicester Square.
That will be Charing Cross Road, the one that used to have lots of secondhand bookshops. Not so many these days though, unfortunately.