The Fleetway Files

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

David McDonald

The Fleetway Files

Post by David McDonald »

I hope this is OK to post here, I think there may be some interest.
Hibernia's new Comic Archive is now available in print on the Comicsy website here http://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/
I also have digital copies prepared, details at the end

The Fleetway Files will be of interest to anyone who likes British comics and Rebellions Treasury line, Here is the blurb!

Fleetway File’s explores the publishing phenomenon that was IPC Magazine’s comic division. Formed in 1969, the comic division brought together different comic publishing houses under one group and thereafter published an avalanche of titles and creativity for the best part of two decades.

Fleetway Files looks at all facets of this time, from Girls and Humour to Football and Adventure, with interviews and contributions from all the main movers e.g. David Hunt, Barrie Tomlinson, Bob Paynter and the late Gil Page.
Fleetway Files also contains interviews with Scott Goodall, James Nicholas (Tomlinson), Ian Vosper, and a small contribution from the late Jan Shepheard, and much more.

The launch of the new Eagle and the genesis of its incarnation of Dan Dare is examined with the help of Barrie Tomlinson and David Hunt . West County eighties cosplayer, coffins in Kings Reach Towers and Dan Dare movie treatments are all included!
Incredible rare and never seen before artwork by Ian Kennedy and Vanyo is seen in the ‘Creating Comics’ section, looking at the original pitch and characters sketches of Wildcat comic and Battle’s ‘Storm Force’
For more rare artwork via Brazil we have a Sticker album featured, and why should we be interested? It’s fully painted by the incredible Ian Kennedy!

Massimo Belardinelli art collector Robbie Cox treats us to an amazing double page spread of previously unpublished Belardinelli artwork, intended for the short lived Tornado, curiously working from Brian Bolland designs!

If that’s not enough, in association with Rebellion we proudly have the ‘Treasury of British Comics Sampler’ 16 page section or ‘pullout’ in grand Whizzer and Chips tradition! Rebellion’s Ben Smith and Keith Richardson tell of Rebellions acquisition of the Fleetway archive and their plans for the future.

Also included courtesy of the Treasury line is the origin of ‘Hot Shot Hamish’, ‘Sergeant Strong’, Zenith’s ‘Amazing Three’ and more with art from British legends like Ken Reid, John Burns and Denis McLaughlin.

Written and Edited by David McDonald (Scream Zine ‘It’s Ghastly’, ‘Beyond 2000AD’ and ‘One Eyed Jack and the Death of Valiant’) with additions articles by Jenni Scott, (JintyBlog) and Matt Bowen (Buster Website)

Design and additional material by Richard Pearce and article editing by Mike Donachie, with a big thanks to Dez Skinn for some last minute proof reading, yes that Dez Skinn!

‘The Fleetway Files’ is Hibernia’s most ambitious offering, 106 pages plus cover, perfect bound, lavishly illustrated with colour throughout. All of Hibernia’s previous ‘Comic Archive’ sold out fast, so don’t miss out.

ONLY available in print from the Comicsy website here http://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/

Please allow 10 working days for delivery, it usually is much quicker, but on rare occasions can take a while.

Digital editions
There is a digital edition Fleetway Files available for 4.99, please send payments via Paypal to doomlord@eircom.net and I will forward a PDF within the day, please include your email address.

As a special offer to celebrate the release of Fleetway Files, there is a digital pack available of all Hibernia’s Comic archive series.
'One Eyed Jack and the Death of Valiant', 'Beyond 2000 AD', 'Its Ghastly' and 'The Fleetway Files' all together for only £10!
Please send payment via paypal to doomlord@eircom.net and I will forward a PDF within the day . Please mark all digital payment 'PDF' and include your email address
Attachments
FFFront Cover (small).jpg

koollectablz

Re: The Fleetway Files

Post by koollectablz »

Sounds great, I'll take 5. Good idea on the digital pack of past releases, I'll try that too.

SID

Post by SID »

Thanks for the heads up, David.

Ordered my copy.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

just ordered my copy
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I must admit that when Fleetway is mentioned I always think of the titles that I read as a kid in the 1960's and that the post 1969 titles I always think of more as IPC titles. But whilst I would consider the Fleetway titles 1959-1960 Buster, Lion, Valiant to be my favourites I've still ordered a copy of the 'Fleetway Files' as it looks likely to be an interesting account of the 'IPC' titles from the later period, late 1960's and beyond.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I think its just because the Fleetway Files alliteration flows better than the IPC Files.

That said i guess you could have split into two pubs with the first being the 'The Fleetway Files' and then for the rest after 1969 call it 'The IPCrest Files'.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i wont be able to order it for about a month so hopefully you have some left david

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

£15.48 for hours of entertainment!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

koollectablz wrote:I think its just because the Fleetway Files alliteration flows better than the IPC Files.

That said i guess you could have split into two pubs with the first being the 'The Fleetway Files' and then for the rest after 1969 call it 'The IPCrest Files'.
Great title as long as Len Deighton doesn't sue!The alliteration does allow for the title to slip off the tongue but I just think the advertising blurb gives the impression that the Fleetway titles began in the late 1960's when, in fact, they had been in successful production under that banner since the late 1950's.

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

Thanks for the orders!
The Fleetway File as a title was chosen for a few reasons.
The brilliant winged speech bubble crest I would associate with IPC Annual output from the seventies and eighties, as noted it's a great name, and the clincher Rebellion own the crest and the name 'Fleetway' and allowed it's use.

Fleetway has been associated with titles up to the nineties when the company was named 'Fleetway Editions'
I take your point about the pre seventies material, not my intention. I would hope the use of the crest would, as it was used mostly in the seventies and eighties suggest that that's the timeframe that the book concerns.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Just me being nitpicky David. It still looks like it will be a great read.

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

I do hope you enjoy it, initial opinion is very positive.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Just ordered.ill try order the bakers half dozen in a few weeks

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

David is there any chance you will be reprinting the 2000ad and valiant specials again and perhaps tower king and eagle special.i know rebellion is doing 13th floor so no point in reprinting the 2 volumes you published.I'm not into Pdf stuff lol

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

David is there any chance you will be reprinting the 2000ad and valiant specials again and perhaps tower king and eagle special.i know rebellion is doing 13th floor so no point in reprinting the 2 volumes you published.I'm not into Pdf stuff lol

I've got at least one spare volume at home Bri so I'll have a look for you
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/