What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hawkeye

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Hawkeye »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Free gift space gun and flying saucers from Tiger comic #1, also Tiger's Roar free gift Tiger comic #2, both in their original packets.
What a brilliant find! Very jealous of the gun and saucers as it's one of the only #1 gifts I don't have from that period. well done!

I haven't really decided what to do with the gifts yet. As you know I like to collect them, particularly the no 1s, but I've never collected any Tiger comics, I don't think I've even got one from buying a job lot of comics in the past.

I only bought them as they seemed a bargain at £29.99 each, and I'd never even seen the gift from no 2. I did trace one on Comicsvalue which sold about 4 years ago for £121.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hawkeye wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Free gift space gun and flying saucers from Tiger comic #1, also Tiger's Roar free gift Tiger comic #2, both in their original packets.
What a brilliant find! Very jealous of the gun and saucers as it's one of the only #1 gifts I don't have from that period. well done!

I haven't really decided what to do with the gifts yet. As you know I like to collect them, particularly the no 1s, but I've never collected any Tiger comics, I don't think I've even got one from buying a job lot of comics in the past.

I only bought them as they seemed a bargain at £29.99 each, and I'd never even seen the gift from no 2. I did trace one on Comicsvalue which sold about 4 years ago for £121.
Definite bargain at £29.99 each! If you decide to sell the #1 gift, please tell me as I'll be very interested.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Definite bargain at £29.99 each! If you decide to sell the #1 gift, please tell me as I'll be very interested.[/quote]

Sent you a PM

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I’ve only seen the #1 gift once Unused, it’s definitely an extremely difficult one to get. So very well done!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

12 x 60's Busters arrived and 1968 and 70 Buster annuals.Dan Dare Titan comics issue 4 and Dan Dare red moon mystery gn

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

At the ephemera fair yesterday I came across the front cover of Rainbow no. 1 from 1914 In one of those paper backed bags. I already have Rainbow 1 and thought it was a shame it was only the cover and put it back. I went back a few minutes later and looked at it again taking it out of the bag. It was actually an advertising flyer for the first issue. It was a mere £2. The dealer said it was originally folded in four inside an Arthur Mee magazine. It's in almost New condition.

Another dealer had a pile of about 200 Beanos from 1980-1983 for £50 the lot. I might have got them if I could have carried them.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Steve - what a find! I remember when you previously posted about your Rainbow No1 and so it’s now all the more enhanced with this addition to your collection.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

About four years ago I acquired a similar flyer for Lion no. 1 but that was £25 but still worth it for its uniqueness.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

stevezodiac wrote:At the ephemera fair yesterday I came across the front cover of Rainbow no. 1 from 1914 In one of those paper backed bags. I already have Rainbow 1 and thought it was a shame it was only the cover and put it back. I went back a few minutes later and looked at it again taking it out of the bag. It was actually an advertising flyer for the first issue. It was a mere £2. The dealer said it was originally folded in four inside an Arthur Mee magazine. It's in almost New condition.

Thats a fantastic find, so you have the flyer, the comic and the free gift?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes. Here is the flyer:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Just noticed its referred to as a picture paper and wondered when the word comic was first used. America had Sunday Funnies before this but not sure if they were called comics then.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I also got a 1960 Woman's Illustrated with this example of gender stereotyping:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Bogroll Brenda?

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

stevezodiac wrote:Yes. Here is the flyer:

I've got a massive collection of Tiger Tim and the Bruin Boys stuff - full set of Tiger Tim annuals from 1922, full set of Tiger Tims Tales comics, first Tiger Tims Weeky comic, first Playbox comic, Bruin Boys annual no1, Mrs Hippos annual #1, loads of related free gifts and badges, recently managed to get the pull-along toy with all the figures on wheels, but the only thing I've never managed to get my hands on is Rainbow #1. If you ever feel like sending it off to someone who would appreciate it as much as you obviously do, give me a heads up.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I picked up a Rainbow colouring book a few years ago for £10 at the ephemera fair. Same size as the comic. If you are a completist there were small Bruin Boys strips in women's magazines like Home Notes or Home Chat. Some had four page Playbox pullouts.