The Adventures of Fudge the Elf

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

AMP

Re: The Adventures of Fudge the Elf

Post by AMP »

Interesting...No Hawkeye it's an original, well certainly not a home-made affair in the sense that it appears definitely contemporary and professionally printed.

I'll dig it out in the next day or so but, from memory, it reproduces the front cover and spine of the boards but the back cover and inside front and back flaps are blank - I may be wrong, there may be a price but certainly not a synopsis or anything like that.

AMP

Post by AMP »

I have the book in front of me now and I was slightly mistaken. There is an illustration on the back cover and a printed price (2/6) on the inside front flap - no synopsis though.

I'm uploading some photos below, there's a jacket protector which I'm loath to remove so they're not fantastic quality but should give you an idea.
Attachments
IMG_4234.JPG
IMG_4233.JPG
IMG_4235.JPG
Last edited by AMP on 15 Aug 2018, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

AMP

Post by AMP »

...and here's the front flap:
Attachments
IMG_4236.JPG

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That's very interesting Andrew. Does your copy also include the colour plate?

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Thank you for the pictures Andrew. Positively not a home-made dustwrapper.

AMP

Post by AMP »

Yes Phil, it does have the colour plate.

No problem Hawkeye. If it's permissible I can try to upload an image of Ken's signing session. It's hard to tell if the copies on display are jacketed because the image is so poor but the white border on the bottom of the front cover illustrations seem thicker than that printed on the boards and more like the jacket - really difficult to be sure though.

AMP

Post by AMP »

I also wondered if the jacket was a near contemporary addition to try to shift unsold copies but the 2/6 price was the initial 1939 price according to the advertising lists I've seen.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Well that's great to see, I've seen a few copies over the years but never ever one with a dustwrapper - thanks for posting the pics!

Now if we can get a #1 Eagle annual with a dustwrapper that'll put the cherry on the cake.

AMP

Post by AMP »

Here's Ken signing copies:
Attachments
IMG_4240.JPG

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Marvellous! Also it's intriguing to see how spelling has evolved so that we don't hyphenate 'today' and 'tomorrow' any longer.