Valiant covers from ebay

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Valiant covers from ebay

Post by Peter Gray »

[img:333:400]http://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/b4/b9/0a99_1.JPG[/img] love the vibrant colours...it really stands out...

[img:400:396]http://i2.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/b7/53/b386_1.JPG[/img]

heres a special...

[img:398:400]http://i23.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/b7/53/b40c_1.JPG[/img] inside special..Billy Bunter in space it kind of fits lol

Before Lew's blog on different comics I was always a funny comic man....now a new world of adventure comics are out there to collect as well.....it is very over whelming......there is so many....ironically there is none now except 2000AD which is aimed at an older audience then Valiant for example..never got on with 2000AD..

Peter Gray

Valiant covers from ebay

Post by Peter Gray »

[img:290:400]http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/b8/3f/9cc8_1.JPG[/img]

Valiant sure had a lot of spin-off annuals...saw one also for sport...

[img:400:300]http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/3/3/5/8/ ... 492_tp.jpg[/img]

could be put on the comicsuk annual gallery

Lew Stringer

Re: Valiant covers from ebay

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:
Before Lew's blog on different comics I was always a funny comic man....now a new world of adventure comics are out there to collect as well.....it is very over whelming......there is so many....ironically there is none now except 2000AD which is aimed at an older audience then Valiant for example..never got on with 2000AD..

There are still adventure comics around: Action Man A.T.O.M., Spectacular Spider-Man, Transformers, Doctor Who Adventures: all feature brand new UK material. (Transformers is part US material though.)

A few Manga books have UK origination too, such as the Manga Shakespeare line.

Lew

Captain Storm

Valiant covers from ebay

Post by Captain Storm »

Hi Peter,interesting to see the Valiant Space Special-I have the earlier one 1967.Lion also had a good amount of spin-offs.Ah,if only we had their like again :cry:

Kashgar
Guru

Valiant covers from ebay

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Peter, The Valiant spin-off titles were quite a mighty brood. First off, of course, was the Valiant Annual 1964-1984 and the 144 editions of the Valiant Picture Library (1963-1969) which started off quite interestingly but soon got bogged down as just another war orientated 'Commando' type title. Next up was the Valiant Summer Special in all it's various incarnations 1966-1980 and it's short lived companion with the convoluted title the Lion & Valiant Special Extra 1968-1970. Also in 1966 there was the publication of the only two editions of The Valiant Story of the West in an inusual US comic book format. Then we had the two soft-back book editions of the Valiant Space Special 1967-1968 followed a year later by the similarly formatted Valiant book of TV's Sexton Blake.
As to hardback volumes we had the oversized Valiant Book of Pirates in 1968 and The Conquest of the Air in 1970 followed by a lack-lustre Valiant Book of Sports in 1973 and then finally in 1976 The Valiant Book of Weapons and War and the really rather fine Valiant Book of Mystery and Magic. So as you can see there was always plenty for Valiant readers to read other than the weekly comic and now by extension for Valiant comic collectors to collect.

Peter Gray

Valiant covers from ebay

Post by Peter Gray »

Lew's list didn't excite me... :wink:

The past had better adventure for all stories then now...

though Dr Who has certainly opened up things....Dr Who storybooks have good illustrations...and the comic strip in the mag...
Also other than Shakesphere from Manga never heard of that before.....there is Agatha Christie graphic novels...need to read one to see if I like it...so the adventure stories are still around just all seperate from each other...

Best of Cosmopotion 70's is out......prefer to see best of Valient..

Good to see so many varties of Valient books out in the past...a good use of a brand name...thanks for the info Kashgar...

Albion reprint books are the way to go...just hope the origin is selling well..it should be sold with the main annuals...since I bought my one in Waterstones there isn't one anywhere...glad amazon sell them well...
anyone here want to set up with IPC the best of Valient book...

these fans who are doing this are amazing...e.g Look and Learn...
Look-in...Charleys War...Steel Claw..etc..

Lew Stringer the best of comics book out now....see Eagle-eye...Grimley..Mastermind...The Cloak...Charlie P...Tom Thug..Tv 21 and Jag stars...Sweeny Toddler...
or best of Oink annual

It may happen......one day....

Captain Storm

Valiant covers from ebay

Post by Captain Storm »

Hi Peter,I must agree that ATOM etc don't interest me in the slightest.But I do drool at the format they are presented in though.A big improvement on the old newsprint journals of yore :wink: I also concur that the old adventure weeklies were miles ahead in content.Setting up a print run based on private funding can be prohibitively expensive though and so we must content ourselves with pure nostalgia and whining away the hours pontificating on our past heroes and favorites.If you go under a certain archway on a full moonlit sky,you'll see gathered around a burning brazier a rather sullen group of hobos-Spellbinder,Adam Eterno,Janus Stark,Kelly's Eye,The Indestructible Man,Steel Claw,Capt Hurricane,Johnny Cougar,Fireball,the entire cast of The Sentinels from Misty,and a few girls who all have the same name-Mary,crying with Judy,Bunty,Jinty,Mandy and Emma!Over in the corner away from the glare of the adults you will see the Numbskull's playing with Colonel Blink who probably thinks they are fairies and some bandaged mummies wrestling with Kid Pharaoh.Sat on an orange box clutching some old mouldy comics you find a mysterious man ranting and raving about something called manga and 6 free plastic toys with every corporate tie-in...hang on...that's me!And who said dreams can't come true... :lol:

Peter Gray

Valiant covers from ebay

Post by Peter Gray »

lol very funny

Inspired by Lew saying there are adventure comics for all ages if you look for it...

I got out the library Dr Who Oblivion the eighth Doctor.....and loved it..
amazing story about underwater daleks and the companion turning into a fish person and the emotions which went with it...also Mexico the lady painting her portrait ..reading them in a book in order got me into it more than buying the odd Dr Who magazine where I don't get the whole story........so a great discovery and will look out for the other books...