What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hawkeye

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Hawkeye »

Adam Eterno wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:I just saw a box of early Tigers with a £45 price tag on top. It wasn't until I got home that I realised it was the first 49 issues. Apart from staple rust they are in excellent condition. He has the complete volume two of Eagle for £85.
That kind of haul only happens rarely but when it does, it's sooooooo good! The Tiger #1 alone is worth more than you paid for the lot. The #2 with gift probably a lot more. You can read a year's worth of the first Tigers as well which is brilliant. Who knows what you may find in the other comics!? If you ever want to part with that Tiger #1, please give me a shout first!
No, no...............give me a shout first. I've got the gift from Tiger #1 so I need the comic much more that he does !

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have considered putting it on eBay but I'm worried the buyer will falsely claim they didn't receive it. It's happened before and I've had to give a refund despite the buyer having no proof they didn't receive it. "Please find attached an image of the empty space where the comic should be, what more proof do you need?" I had post office receipts with their door number and postcode but that wasn't good enough. Would "signed for" cover me? When it's an item of a few pounds it's not so damaging but losing an item worth say £150.00 is hard to tolerate.

An alternative would be to sell it via phil-comics.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

When I have advertised a valuable item on eBay, Steve, I have always stated that it will be sent by Special Delivery, a method that certainly uses tracking, and I would always include the charge for that delivery method in my advert so that there could be no possible misunderstanding between me and the buyer. If they didn't want to pay the extra, they simply didn't get the item. No skin off my nose. Someone else would eventually buy it.

P.S. I also have an issue 1 of THE TIGER, but I don't know where it is!!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Just done a rather nice deal with one of my fellow forumites and once it arrives, it will allow me to break a major milestone in my collection. It's another 38 Commando comics and while I am not sure exactly where that will put us in terms of our overall collection, I do know that these 38 will take me from owning 4970 issues to 5008 issues which will leave me only 202 to go for the full run!

And as I have done a swap with another collector for another 6, the 200 barrier is going to be broken in the next month too!

The only problem is that now it is going to start getting expensive!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:I do know that these 38 will take me from owning 4970 issues to 5008 issues which will leave me only 202 to go for the full run! And as I have done a swap with another collector for another 6, the 200 barrier is going to be broken in the next month too! The only problem is that now it is going to start getting expensive!
Surely Mr Colin CoolBond, having reached this 'halfway-round-the-back-strait' position, money is irrelevant. The quest for completeness has taken over your life. I genuinely congratulate you on reaching this milestone, and look forward to hearing that you have finally got every issue, despite the fact that personally I would not give any houseroom to a single issue of Commando, let alone the full run. I did look into the matter several years ago but when I discovered that every issue is about one aspect or another of war, my interest disappeared as quickly as my ice cream last summer in St Ives when a seagull whizzed it, all of it, and didn't even damage the cornet.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:I have considered putting it on eBay but I'm worried the buyer will falsely claim they didn't receive it. It's happened before and I've had to give a refund despite the buyer having no proof they didn't receive it. "Please find attached an image of the empty space where the comic should be, what more proof do you need?" I had post office receipts with their door number and postcode but that wasn't good enough. Would "signed for" cover me? When it's an item of a few pounds it's not so damaging but losing an item worth say £150.00 is hard to tolerate.

Steve, I’ve sold 5 comics in the last week at over £120 each and I’ve sent them all Special Delivery, next day by 1pm and they’ve all arrived safely. You’re insured for anything up to £1000 that way. The first parcel of two comics was valued at £770 and it cost the buyer £8 and some pennies for the postage and we’re both covered.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:I

Phil takes quite a high percentage of the price and you’ll still have to send the comic to him. I thought I’d bought Tiger #1 last year in great condition for £100 but it never arrived and the seller went quiet on me. Luckily I got my money back via PayPal. Depending on its condition, if I bought it, it would probably be easier for me to meet you in London and give you cash!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:Depending on its condition, if I bought it, it would probably be easier for me to meet you in London and give you cash!
That comment has just reminded me that I will be in London for a week or so sometime in April, to stay with my elder son Andrew, and spend time with his daughters Aurora and Kelsey. We Facetime each other reasonably regularly, but it's a while since they were all down here. I'll pop along to Penzance railway station tomorrow morning to buy my return ticket, and book a seat in both directions.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:I'll pop along to Penzance railway station tomorrow morning to buy my return ticket (to London), and book a seat in both directions.
I haven't done so yet as Andrew is so very busy at work. He's going to let me know when the pressure is off, if it ever is. Personally, I think he's too conscientious for his own good, and his health is suffering. In the meantime I have plenty of stories to read or reread, especially the serials in TRACY.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I've just FaceTimed Andrew. He was in a supermarket, but he had Aurora and Kelsey with him so he's going to ring me back later, at which point we might be able to make an arrangement for me to go up to London for a week. When I took Lois to school this morning she told me that she will soon have a couple of weeks off for half term. I think she meant to say 'Easter holiday'. When I picked her up at 3.15 she wanted to go straight to Tescos to buy food and drink for a sleepover at hers with her friend Amber tomorrow night. It's a good job I'd just given her her £5 pocket money for the week!! Alex blagged £3 off me last Wednesday so he only got £2 today. He didn't complain. Next week I'm going to help him with his speelings, and his writting.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Final purchase this month, and I preordered the 2019 specials bundle from Rebellion. Should have this by the end of April.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

March was actually an amazing month for selling as I managed to sell 3 or 4 times more than I do in a normal month and have managed to totally replenish my comic "war chest"! :D

I also managed to buy quite a few bits and bobs but the most interesting were:
Young Brides #1 - T&P - 1953
Lady Penelope #1 - City Magazines - 1966
Western Outlaws #1 - L Miller - 1954
Action Holiday Special 1979 - meaning that I now have all 5
True Life Picture Library #1 - Amalgamated - 1954
Sabu Elaphant Boy #1 - Streamline - 1951
Romance Strip Stories #1 (and only) - L Miller - 1959
Eagle Holiday Extra 1962 all the way from a chap in Australia
Tales of the Mysterious Traveller - GT Ltd - 1960
8 x Champion comics from 1966 so I now have 10 of them
The free gift ladybird ring from Bunty #1
Loads of free gifts from Modern Boy, Skipper, Adventure, Eagle, Rover and Wizard in a big job lot
The free gift to Red Arrow #1 to add to my comic
Young Love #1 - T&P - 1060
Daredevil #1 - Pembertons - 1950
Photo-Love #1 - IPC - 1979
A batch of mini comics from the 1920s and 1930s from the Compal auction
I managed to find quite a bit more but mainly filling gaps in my collections with a few upgrades on my #1s and Summer Specials along with some more books about comics. A great month!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Mine was actually Saturday when I bought a rather hefty tome from a rather nice elderly gentleman who scribbled in it. I also had a bound volume of Wizard January to June 1951 delivered on Monday and today, I have had another delivery of Commandos to fill another 9 gaps. That's not including the fun that I will have this weekend at ECC.

I have also discovered someone selling this book...
Beano spine.jpg
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Is it a reissue? And can anyone identify the comic in the background from the corner shown? Looks like Tiger. Or School Friend.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

colcool007 wrote: That's not including the fun that I will have this weekend at ECC.

I have also discovered someone selling this book...
Beano spine.jpg
What is ECC col?