Which titles would you like to see indexed?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Which titles would you like to see indexed?

Post by Kashgar »

If any comic/adventure strip title could be indexed, which hasn't yet been done, which would it be and what form would you like it take?
I ask because I have a Victor Index in the planning stage but as such things are very time consuming to produce, particularly if you want to do a half decent job, it would be nice to have a heads up on what people want and where their main collecting interests can be found?

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Which titles would you like to see indexed?

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:If any comic/adventure strip title could be indexed, which hasn't yet been done, which would it be and what form would you like it take?
I ask because I have a Victor Index in the planning stage but as such things are very time consuming to produce, particularly if you want to do a half decent job, it would be nice to have a heads up on what people want and where their main collecting interests can be found?
Well you know my view, Kashgar. Write it. The only problem is deciding how many copies you need to get published to ensure you at least get your outlay back. Of all the individual comics/story papers that still need to be catalogued THE VICTOR is the one most likely to prove popular. It's fair to say that I will be including a number of representative serials from THE VICTOR in ADVENTURE AND HIS BROTHERS but my selections will be light years away from full coverage, so you can put me down for a copy straightaway.

Sitting here at my desk, as I have been for a couple of hours, trying to justify a cull from my list of some of the many serials in DEBBIE, currently destined for BUNTY AND HER SISTERS, I have found that thoughts expressed on the forum by Big Bad Bri, encouraging full coverage, have been disconcerting. Obviously there will inevitably have to be a reduction from the total available from all eleven titles for girls, or the book could easily be 400/500 pages long, even at 13 three-line synopses to a page. I'm not sure that Bri has thought the issue through properly. His enthusiasm is to be applauded, but his conclusions need to be reconsidered.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Kashgar wrote:If any comic/adventure strip title could be indexed, which hasn't yet been done, which would it be and what form would you like it take?
I notice on many other groups that an index of Commando would be very popular. My personal choice would be Marvel UK in the 1970s but that would be an enormous effort as it was so confusing! Steve’s Valiant index is good but needs updating as there were quite a few errors.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It's great to hear that you haven't retired from indexing for good Kashgar as few people know so much about comics history - particularly the mid-20th century period which appeals to me most. I'd really love to see a Victor index of course, as well as a Bunty one (though maybe David Roach would be better placed to tackle that). From AP/Fleetway I'd dearly like to see Film Fun, Radio Fun and TV Fun indexed (even if the first of those would need a great deal of work to document its contents all the way back to 1920).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:I'd really love to see a Victor index of course, as well as a Bunty one (though maybe David Roach would be better placed to tackle that).
I think that would depend, Phil, on how many actual issues David has of BUNTY that he would be able to refer to. He did very kindly send me photocopies of his complete listing a year or two back when asked to by comixminx, but in itself that doesn't imply that he owns them all. I don't own them all either, but I am only missing about 135, and those are in single issues, twos, or threes, so I am just as able as he is to write an index of BUNTY. I just don't want to, not because of the work involved, but because looking at the bigger picture, I would then need to do indexes of JUDY and MANDY, and probably DIANA as well, and I just wouldn't be able to justify the overall printing costs of four books. It's for this reason that I am writing BUNTY AND HER SISTERS, The Great Stories, which will contain three-line synopses of every serial that I consider great from all the eleven story papers for girls from DCT. In alphabetical order as well. What's not to like about that plan? Only my listing of DEBBIE to check, and then I can slot her best stories into what will then be the final list.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Oh I'm greatly looking forward to your books as well Phoenix - in my opinion a Bunty index would just complement your own invaluable tome by focusing on the creative personnel, particularly the artists. Thinking about it a bit I'd also like to see New Hotspur and Hornet indexed someday, as well as TV Comic, Princess and School Friend. Also, I'm quite surprised that nobody seems to have produced definitive indexes of Eagle and TV Century 21 to date considering the amount of attention they tend to attract (maybe Spaceship Away or Eagle Times could look into this as a serial feature?).

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

I would to to see a index of pocket library comics which have not been covered beforehand like Gemini 2000, star blazer etc I know some pocket library comics issues are rare and don’t often appear for sale so it’s hard to know how many are in the series

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Captain underpants wrote:I would to to see a index of pocket library comics which have not been covered beforehand like Gemini 2000, star blazer etc I know some pocket library comics issues are rare and don’t often appear for sale so it’s hard to know how many are in the series
You are so right in that appraisal. A good example is GCD says that there are only 40 in the Club War series which undermines its usefulness when I have issue 41 in my collection...
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:Oh I'm greatly looking forward to your books as well Phoenix - in my opinion a Bunty index would just complement your own invaluable tome by focusing on the creative personnel, particularly the artists.
David isn't always able to recognize the artists, but his listing is a formidable and extremely praiseworthy effort. It runs to 39 pages, with 34 story titles to a page, so according to my cheap-as-chips calculator, that means that David has listed 1326 story titles, the artist of the vast majority being listed. You are of course correct in your assumption that I am not interested in the identity of the artists. My focus is, and always will be, solely on the stories, and where they are concerned, I am very interested indeed.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Captain underpants wrote:I would to to see a index of pocket library comics which have not been covered beforehand like Gemini 2000, star blazer etc I know some pocket library comics issues are rare and don’t often appear for sale so it’s hard to know how many are in the series
As far as Starblazer is concerned DC Thomson themselves provided a complete list of titles, writers and artists, serializing it during the last few months of publication. I think it can now be found online - possibly via Down The Tubes.

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

philcom55 wrote:As far as Starblazer is concerned DC Thomson themselves provided a complete list of titles, writers and artists, serializing it during the last few months of publication. I think it can now be found online - possibly via Down The Tubes.
Indeed Phil. It's https://downthetubes.net/?page_id=18986
P.S. Does the URL function not work with https? Or am I missing something? But weirdly after posting it's fine!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Just looked at Grand Comics Database and they have every issue of TV Century 21 indexed. Only a few artist names missing.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Correction they don't have TV21 and TV Tornado issues indexed. For some reason these are listed separately because of the title change. Makes me wonder if whoever indexed the first 157 or so issues wasn't aware of the separate listing.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'd like to see an Alan Class index. Quite a few obscure one-off titles there. And maybe a companion book for Miller and T&P.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

stevezodiac wrote:I'd like to see an Alan Class index. Quite a few obscure one-off titles there. And maybe a companion book for Miller and T&P.
Now that I would love to get a copy of, with lots of the non marvel 60s superhero strips like Thunder agents and captain atom, not sure if I’m right but did some issues have a one page Dennis Gifford funny strips or was that miller or T&P reprints