Commando: Another crazy idea!

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: Commando: Another crazy idea!

Post by felneymike »

unique, original characters
From MARVEL?!?!??? [/lazy stereotype]

THE MOOSE

Post by THE MOOSE »

Strange how folk don't like their characters to be changed from the versions they remember/grew up with - my girlfiends nephew (14 years old) loves the Nick Fury origianl as wel, thats the Samuel L Jackson "origninal" version becasue that the version he knows. "Our" Nick Fury ( a fantastic character) is pretty dated now (and the original straight to Tv version of Nick Fury and SHIELD with the Night Rider actor (sorry forgot his name) was probably the worst Comic based movie is have seen (well maybe Cap America)).

I have to agree I thought the first 2 Spiderman films were amazing (although Kirsten Dunst is no Mary Jane and Toby McGuire took time to grow on me - but in essence I think he was like Peter Parker in that he looks kind of "geeky" ). Wasn't as keen on Spiderman 3 though. I have to say I can't agree that the film versions should be the exact same as the comic book versions - comic characters look gawdy (coloured costumes etc) and just wouldn't work onthe big screen - look at the X-men (1 and 2 I thought were excellent films) Wolverine would have looked silly in his yellow costume - and Blade was a better film (all 3) than the original character ever was.

I think Marvels core characters are pretty original - Spiderman, Xmen, FF, Galactus, Warlock, - some good ideas there (I mean Superheroes are as original in concept from each other as Roy of the Rovers is to Bernard Briggs ie they're both football stories but Marvel introduced a new way to present these stories and although they have had there truely awful times (the 1980s)they have their excellent moments as well (ie the 1960s, the new Ultimates line , the original Conan, Tomb of Dracula, etc)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I was in forbidden planet a fortnight ago and just had to open up the Essentials Dr Strange. Just looking at the Ditko art cheered me up. Wonderful. Reminded me of happier days back in the 60s before London became a war zone where decent people peek through curtains at the local hoodies smashing up the street. (There I go again - grumpy old man mode).

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I think Marvels core characters are pretty original - Spiderman, Xmen, FF, Galactus, Warlock,
Heh, i know, i was just lazily stereotyping the fact that all thier famous characters have been going unchanged for years. But then again so have Dennis, Desperae Dan, Bash St etc etc XD