Dennis-centric

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

wardrobe86

Dennis-centric

Post by wardrobe86 »

So the latest Beano dropped through my letterbox this morning, issue 3517. I'm quite disappointed this issue revolves around the comics longest running character, now fair enough i appreciate he is the biggest star, has his own television programme and helps comics sell, however this issue he has an 8 page story, which means other characters miss out on appearing in the issue, including Roger the Dodger and Billy Whizz.

I don't mind long Dennis stories as long as it replaces pointless pages such as a wordsearch (also Dennis themed) or some of the self promo adverts (WWE etc), but not two of my favourite characters.

I am not in the comics demographic of course, so I don't demand a change, this is just me expressing my opinion.

Rant over :oops:

P.S and on second inspection the front cover says 'also inside Roger the Dodger'

Digifiend

Re: Dennis-centric

Post by Digifiend »

:shock: Well that's a stupid mistake, omitting Roger but saying on the cover that he's inside! :x And he's one of my faves too. :(

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I always used to like the Bast St Kids, to give me ideas for tricks at school! For some reason they never seemed to come off quite as well...

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

which means other characters miss out on appearing in the issue, including Roger the Dodger and Billy Whizz.
Those strips are my two favourites out of all the strips in the Beano! :x It's rare for Roger to be left out, but Billy missed last week's issue as well. Oddly, the last time Roger was missing Billy didn't appear either.

Although I like Dennis and know that he's the big star (though Roger, Minnie and the Kids are quite big), I do feel that some other characters aren't always given the recognition they deserve. I always think Billy Whizz has been largely ignored, given his longevity in the comic - for example, he only had a short role in the Beano Videostars, he had few Comic Libraries and he's rarely on the annual covers.

Thanks for the info, but I'd be careful about stuff like this Wardrobe, this is a bit of a spoiler for this week's issue, especially as the preview's not on the Beanotown website yet.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

wardrobe86

Post by wardrobe86 »

sorry, i didn't mean to spoil it, i'm surprised it came this early anyway. It's just that i was quite perturbed about the omission of these two key beano characters and wanted to vent it out.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Don't worry about it, I don't really mind that much. Especially as the two notable excluded characters are my favourites too...
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

r3tr0_gam3r

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

wardrobe86 wrote:sorry, i didn't mean to spoil it, i'm surprised it came this early anyway. It's just that i was quite perturbed about the omission of these two key beano characters and wanted to vent it out.
Yea mine came very early too, its normally here bout Thursday but I got it yesterday. In regards to the story, I agree that its a pain they have missed out the other characters. Personally, I'm not too big a fan of Dennis anymore, and prefer some of the other characters (including some who I enjoyed less when I was a child, to my favourite character... Dennis!). I think sometimes these longer stories can be less interesting than it would have been to have the 3 or 4 usual shorter stories. But oh well.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Wasn't much of a spoiler if you think about it. These higher priced issues always include a feature story.