What became of Peter Ford?

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

What became of Peter Ford?

Post by stevezodiac »

Peter Ford drew the humorous strips in TV21 and Lady Penelope. I have scanned his Bewitched here but he also drew the Munsters in TV21. As far as I know these were the only comic titles he worked on. Can anyone offer any others? His style reminds me of Bill Titcombe.

Lew Stringer

Re: What became of Peter Ford?

Post by Lew Stringer »

He also did strips for Countdown, such as Motormouse and Autocat and the Super Mousse strips.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And then Dad's Army when it became TV Action.

- Phil Rushton

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I definately remember the Bewitched strip---and striking graphics, Steve really good caricatures. My memories of this are in full-colour, however! Perhaps at some other stage in the strip's run....I also remember a colour MUNSTERS strip, probably in the same comic, from around this era......

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The Munsters were never in colour in TV21 that was for the Anderson strips only. (plus the Daleks) but they were probably in colour in the TV21 annuals. Same with Bewitched but in the Lady Penelope annuals of which there were at least two.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

maybe it was TV comic..it was a 'glossy', anyway...such a long, long, time ago......

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Maybe it was in one of the TV21 Extras, I have never come across one of those as they are pretty rare.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

To answer the original question, having corresponded with his close friend Gerry Embleton, Peter Ford sadly died of a heart attack in the 1970s.

matthew emery

Post by matthew emery »

Hi just wanted to bump this topic in case anyone has any further information about Peter Ford or scans of his work they could share.

Mick Anglo described him in his book on the fifties as, 'a stocky Maori who used to draw adventure strips in which Aeroplanes often featured.'

Gerry Embleton shared the following, "Peter Ford was a very dear friend of mine when I was in my very early twenties. He was a wonderful character, he sang in amateur opera, played the guitar, was a talented cartoonist and comic strip artist, a paratroop instructor, a judo third Dan and ran a school, and was a school teacher. These separate worlds rarely had contact with each other and when he died representatives of his different interests gathered at his funeral and were amazed to discover how wide his interests were. He was quite a formidable character having a Polynesian anatomy, very big and powerful, a fierce warrior look when angry and a huge white toothed smile."

From what I've researched he very likely grew up in Poplar.

I would very much like to track down any of his relatives or other people that may have known him. Please feel free to offer suggestions.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:maybe it was TV comic..it was a 'glossy', anyway...such a long, long, time ago......
The Munsters was only in TV21, and I think only in colour in the annuals. I think the strip started after the TV21 Extras had run their course (1965-66, with the last in 1967 being a Thunderbirds dedicated one). Besides, the earliest Munster strips were drawn by Paul Trevillion, not Peter Ford.