Switch to Plug...

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Switch to Plug...

Post by Peter Gray »

Plug is not mentioned at all by D.C Thomson in the classics of the comics or the Beano and Dandy special annuals.......Why?

Plug drawn by Vic is great and wacky....
Some nice stuiff from Pup parade artist Gordon Bell...I like Sea Urchin and Hughs zoo...

John Geerings Antchester United was great......a bit like the Fleetways big matches in Shiver and shake.

The Bandshees (what an unusual name)......was very strange..
Eebagoom was very different..
Digby I like a lot...his face and nose are great...

I hope DC Thomson start celebrating this comic more.........its very funny .....especially Plug and Antchester United......

AndyB
Throgmorton

Switch to Plug...

Post by AndyB »

I actually remember more of Dave Gudgeon's Plug strips than Vic's in the Beezer, believe it or not!

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Switch to Plug...

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Was Eebagoom ever in any other comics? I've definitely seen him in places other than Plug...
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

He was included in An Alphabet of Fun, one of the Dandy Beano Golden Years books.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Aha! Cheers for that, knew I'd seen him somewhere!
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

Im pretty sure Anchestor United was in Classics from the Comics.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I can still remember Plug's launch - advertised all over in DCT titles.

The advert for it on TV has re-entered my head recently - a voiceover shouted P-L-U-G Plug! The voice then shouted about the other strips and features and ended with kids shouting "We want Plug!".

Sadly it seems only they did - its lack of success often attributed to it being more glossier, thus it cost more than normal comics - and perhaps also as it was was launched in the middle of a recession and pocket money's not going up. Shame, as I heard it was well put together.

I was just wondering - which strips made the transter over to The Beezer following the merger?
I know Plug and one called First Ada did (and Scrapper and Jest A Minute (why?) were retained from the Cracker.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Dunder Ed wrote:Im pretty sure Antchester United was in Classics from the Comics.
These will probably have been from Beezer.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I remmeber seeing an ad for Plug (below a half-page Numbskulls strip) where they were giving away a free lollipop in an edition.

Anyone remmeber it or get to lick it?

blaing

Post by blaing »

According to Kashgar's Book of the Beezer, the strips that moved from Plug were Eebagoom, Plug (of course), Hugh's Zoo, First Ada, Antchester United and Plug's Sports and Social Club.

SID

Post by SID »

It always fascinated me why Plug got his own comic. To me he never shone within the Bash Street Kids (he was as popular as the rest of the kids) nor was he particularly sporty.

The only conclusion I can get (unless corrected) is that DCT just wanted someone to go against rival Cheeky Weekly.

I always thought the comic looked nice and Plug was very well drawn (sorry I don't know his name but he also drew Billy Whizz for a time :oops: ). However, I always preferred Cheeky.

Saying that, I did get both at the time. :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

more likely based on Disney's Goofy...who was very sporty in the How To series..

Vic Neil is the artist..