Comic Libraries List

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Comic Libraries List

Post by Digifiend »

The Comic Libraries list advertised in my signature has been updated. I've added some more to the list (by searching ebay - that site's good for other things besides actually buying things! :lol:) and made the page more graphically appealing by adding a header logo and colour coding the list (Blue for Beano, Yellow for Dandy). I've also altered the table format slightly - turns out a few cells needed merging. Should be easier to read now.

If anybody has any missing which are from the list, please let me know the number, character, and story title, and I'll add them.

For those who didn't see my original post about it in the Billy Whizz Comic Libraries thread, I created this page because a web search showed no such page already existed. If you know of anyone doing the same thing as me, then let me know please.

stevezodiac

Re: Comic Libraries List

Post by stevezodiac »

I have a large box of those libraries in my storage unit, as it has been locked up since around 1996 they are all of that vintage or earlier. I know I have the first issues of Beano and Dandy. Perhaps I can update your list but its a question of sitting in the storage writing them in a pad or bringing some home a bundle at a time. If you collect them i'd be happy to sell the ones you need as i want to downsize my collection before the grim reaper comes a calling. They are all near mint condition.

Also I have a few of those small ads for the Beano/Dandy comic libraries, I used to clip them from the Weekly News, I'll scan some on in a day or so.

toxteth o'grady

Post by toxteth o'grady »

I started a list a few years ago using ebay and also actual ads from Beezers and Toppers. It ground to halt a while back but I'm glad someone else is doing this and I'll eventually get to finish it. If you want copies of the stuff I've done, drop me an email and I'll pass them on (they're on Word docs).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

What about the comic library specials? In my post of Weekly News ads there are a Beano/Dandy puzzle and cartoon books. Were these a seperate series with their own numbering? And how many issues did they run for?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yes the Beano Puzzle Books and Dandy Cartoon Books were a seperate series with their own numbering. I don't know how long they lasted.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

From memory I think they lasted 88 issues each but I'll check to make sure.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Just a bump to let you know I've updated the list. :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Updated again. :mrgreen:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I checked my box of Beano and Dandy comic libraries at the weekend and I have the first 100 of each so can fill in some gaps in your list. I've noted your missing issues and will get to work at the weekend listing the missing ones.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... es%201-100

The comic libraries had great covers..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be doing a major update in the next few days. :D

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Just a note to say cheers for doing this, Digi - it's good to see these forgotten gems catalouged and, on a personal level, it's a lovely journey down memory lane seeing which ones I had as a wee nipper.

You know what would be lovely? A massive trade paperback, in they style of Marvel's Essentials or DC Showcase, with loads of these stories reprinted. Will never happen, of course... (Though a few years ago I used to speculate that such a thing of Judge Dredd would be wonderful, and that did happen in the end - so who knows?!)

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Just love these long stories...and with characters joining together...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

PaulTwist wrote:Just a note to say cheers for doing this, Digi - it's good to see these forgotten gems catalouged and, on a personal level, it's a lovely journey down memory lane seeing which ones I had as a wee nipper.

You know what would be lovely? A massive trade paperback, in they style of Marvel's Essentials or DC Showcase, with loads of these stories reprinted. Will never happen, of course... (Though a few years ago I used to speculate that such a thing of Judge Dredd would be wonderful, and that did happen in the end - so who knows?!)
Unfortunately, the best we can hope for is that they start colouring and reprinting them in the Fun-Sizes once the original Fun-Size material runs out - they're already 100% reprint apart from the puzzles (which were replaced due to those originally being reprints from the Beano Puzzle Book Libraries).

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

It would be nice to have some of the artists names as well

Brassneck The Proffessor's Revenge is by the Brassneck artist
Bill Holroyd which is lovely to see..

Dinah Mo Dinah Mob who is the artist..number 31 It doesn't look like Ron Spencer? It is nicely done..
Really been enjoying rereading my comic libraries..great fun stories.