Malcolm Judge's Billy Whizz

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Malcolm Judge's Billy Whizz

Post by Peter Gray »

Malcolm Judge's Billy Whizz and the great way he draws speed in so many different ways..
see blog post..

When you look it is amazing..
anyone got some more examples.great to study..

Jonny Whizz

Re: Malcolm Judge's Billy Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I agree with your point here - of all the Billy Whizz artists, Mal was definitely the best at depicting speed, thanks to the sheer variety of methods he used.

Of his successors, David Parkins was also good at drawing speed but didn't use anywhere near the same number of visual techniques (most of the time, he only used two - dust trails and spinning legs). Also, at the moment Nick Brennan is doing a good job of it and Trevor Metcalfe wasn't bad at it either, though again neither can match Mal's.

However, although I am a big fan of Vic Neill's Billy Whizz, he wasn't the best at drawing speed - in his later strips in particular, Billy often looked to be going too slow. In my opinion Graeme Hall was a poor artist choice all round and though Wayne Thompson improved the strip and restored the 'Judge look' to an extent, I didn't think his drawing of Billy whizzing was on the same level as Mal - for some reason, there were always bits of rubbish flying around after him in his dust trails, which I found a bit odd.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Peter Gray

Re: Malcolm Judge's Billy Whizz

Post by Peter Gray »

Its just brilliant.. 8)