I SPY--------- THE FIRST EPIC SERIAL

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

alanultron5

Re: I SPY--------- THE FIRST EPIC SERIAL

Post by alanultron5 »

I must admit it was only when perusing the "Seven Stone Supermen" story for the umpteenth time that I said to myself, "That fellow looks familiar" Then, when `Q` called his `helpers` by name I realised it was the same "Fingers" of "Voice" fame!

Apart from old Hoots McBagpipe, Fingers must be the most inconsequential foe I. Spy ever faced! Can't see either Mr X or Mastermind laying awake at nights worrying about the competition he might give either in the `All time I. Spy foes` category!
A Face unclouded by thought.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Rab, would you like this topic to be split to make THE SECOND EPIC SERIAL? ;)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

if you like, Andy-----it probably makes more sense! ['second series' is actually proper English!]

backtrack a couple of posts if you can before starting it.

Ta very much!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Tis done :) I extracted the relevant stuff and left these ones behind.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

cheers, mate!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

A few months back, I actually took steps to try and get a 'brand new' I SPY strip off the ground, in the pages of CRIKEY magazine. Editor Tony Ingram forwarded test drawings I done, in which I tried to rekindle the spirit of the Les Barton original incarnation. D C Thomson seemed to like my drawings, and greenlighted a provisional script, sadly the 'satirical' route I scribed was at odds with DCT, who preffered a story more along the lines of an actual 1970s script, going by their comments.

It was always open for me to submit a new script, and I would have gotten around to it eventually........I've been immersed in my own strips recently, but had this project gone ahead, the results would have looked like this:

I think the centre MR X drawing resembles vintage sports pundit Jimmy Hill a bit!
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 21 Aug 2010, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Yes! I tried helping Rab out with script ideas! Sadly, DC Thomsons were so `nit-picking` :( :( it became untenable and I was taken ill to boot! In truth, to be forced into a `straightjacket` by Thomsons `dictates` stymies any creative juices in my case! I think it didn't help Rab either! :( :(

I am sorry that Tony Ingram got caught in the middle of it as Tony only wanted the best for all parties!

Yes! MR X looking more like Jimmy Hill than Les Barton's ACker Bilk / Roger Delgado take on the character! Any chance of your artistic view on Mastermind at all Rab? :)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

alanultron5 wrote:Yes! I tried helping Rab out with script ideas! Sadly, DC Thomsons were so `nit-picking` :( :( it became untenable and I was taken ill to boot! In truth, to be forced into a `straightjacket` by Thomsons `dictates` stymies any creative juices in my case! I think it didn't help Rab either! :( :(
To be fair to Thomson it is their character, so they have a right to make sure it's "on model" as they see it.

I've just read Rab's article on I-Spy in the latest Crikey! Great stuff.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Yes Lew! But as Rab can confirm, they really were so `nit-picking` I certainly felt it that way, and I am pretty sure, going by Rab's personal replies to me-he was rather `brought down` by Thomsons `attitude` if I can term it that way.

It was truly stiffening for me certainly! I know Rab can speak for himself Lew, as can Tony Ingram who was caught up in the middle of it. It sparked off a period of illness that i'm only just recovering from! So, Lew, please forgive me if I am not the greatest fan of D.C Thomson's methods!

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Why not do something "original" based on the Ispy look? Nice illos by the way

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

It would smack of `Plaguirism` Starboy, well to me it would! What is an `Illios`? :?: :?: That has got me puzzled!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

alanultron5 wrote:It would smack of `Plaguirism` Starboy, well to me it would! What is an `Illios`? :?: :?: That has got me puzzled!
An illo is a standard nickname for illustration.

I think Starboy was suggesting a spy character that's new, not plagiarizing I Spy. After all, I Spy came after The Cloak and although both were black-garbed spies with fantastic gadgets coming out of their hats, fighting super-villains in comedy-action serials you wouldn't think I Spy was plagiarizing The Cloak would you?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I don't have an illustartion -ulness Starboy meant Rab's Illustration which is superb! Maybe Thomson's can go Bankrupt leaving Rab and I a clar field! Nice though! For me it is! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

alanultron5 wrote:I don't have an illustartion -ulness Starboy meant Rab's Illustration which is superb!
Yes, I think he was addressing both of you, this being a forum. :wink:
alanultron5 wrote:Maybe Thomson's can go Bankrupt leaving Rab and I a clar field! Nice though! For me it is! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Perhaps they could relaunch Sparky and charge you £300 for a new issue 1. :lol:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Starboy: thank you for your interest. Back in March, I proposed a new I SPY story [the first since 1985, not counting LEW'S 2000 'fun-size' update.]

The above inkings were test drawings I done to garner interest ...I'm not a great fan of ghosting established characters, but I would make an exception with I SPY. After the CLOAK was updated to the 21st Century with all-new Mike Higgs artwork, I thought I might be in with a chance to get a new I SPY update in print . DC Thomson show no real interest in reviving the character,--the strip has appeared in only two copies of CLASSICS, for example----- but a mag like CRIKEY might be more receptive.

Tony Ingram the CRIKES editor has contacts at DCT [I used to, but alas no more] and the above I SPY drawings seemed to get DCT'S interest, and I was given the go-ahead to try out a script. There was even talk of producing it in full-colour, and it would have been an I SPY 'first': the first-ever computerized colour version.

The script route I took included references of the 1960s as well as updates: MR X was out on ASBO licence, for example, but the self-reference approach never went down too well with DCT , [though I belt scripts out quickly, so it wasn't like weeks of work went down the pan].

I've been so immersed in my own strips [100 so far this year, with about half that again planned before Christmas ] I got sidetracked from re-submitting a new I SPY strip with a different approach, though considering the plug has been pulled on CRIKEY, perhaps it wouldn't have been worth pursuing.
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 26 Aug 2010, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.