I flipping love Viz

Discuss or comment on anything relating to this long-running adult comic that started back in 1979.

Moderator: AndyB

Tonibunny

I flipping love Viz

Post by Tonibunny »

I can't help it, I've been a Viz fan for years :lol: I'm possibly not their target market (though I think there are plenty of women who like it!) but I have a dreadfully puerile sense of humour and Viz is just so clever with it. I love how accents are used in Sid the Sexist and Cockney Wankah, the pisstakes of 1950s adventure stories, the excellently observed characters as seen in The Modern Parents and sheer subtle brilliance of things like The Drunken Bakers as well as the downright silly rude stuff. It's just ace. I can remember buying a similar comic which was around sometime in the early 1990s and being disappointed because it was extremely poor in comparison, it seemed just mindlessly vulgar with no intelligence behind it.

So, yeah. Just thought I'd share :D

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: I flipping love Viz

Post by felneymike »

Chris donald's autobiography mentions the various imitators of Viz from the early 90's, he says one of them tried to "get at" Viz by handing out free copies in Newcastle, but they literally couldn't give it away and the street was full of discarded copies. Another one tried to sue a rival for "passing itself off" as them, and had the case thrown out with a hefty bill.

One, called Smut, somehow survived all the way up to at least 2007! :shock: dunno how though, even Borders only sold the odd issue.

Another one, called Poot, was revived as a monthly earlier in the year but it seems to have vanished again after 3 issues. You'd think with the benefit of hindsight they would have stepped back and actually looked at what made Viz work, but they hadn't. It just was not funny, or even that vulgar, come to think of it.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Maybe the comic you remember was ZIT, Toni, which was the most widely-seen VIZ cash-in...there were others, however.

Amazing that VIZ was selling about a million copies per issue in 1990.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

ZIT tried to sue SPIT for copying their style. The thing is if you look at a copy of ZIT it looked exactly the same as VIZ so obviously the case was thrown out on its arse. Then Anne Diamond sued ZIT for making a joke about her kid that had died of cot death. You wont find that sort of thing in VIZ they tend to use jokes instead.

Its the 200th issue of VIZ next month, just wonder what they will be cooking up over in North Shields! The new Annual (Five Knuckle Shuffle) is out and Simon Donalds autobiography is out soon aswell so its an alright time to be a VIZ fan! oh and the new Profanasaurus, its called 'Das Crapital' or something similar. I'm not on commission by the way!!

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

Yep, it was ZIT. All I remember is "Lamb Brusco, the alcoholic sheep" (deeply unfunny) and a lot of adverts for sex lines which even Viz had too much class to bother with. The best line I remember from the whole publication was "I'll suck your sex sacks" which wasn't even meant as a joke, it was a serious line from one of those ads!!!! :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

felneymike wrote:Another one, called Poot, was revived as a monthly earlier in the year but it seems to have vanished again after 3 issues. You'd think with the benefit of hindsight they would have stepped back and actually looked at what made Viz work, but they hadn't. It just was not funny, or even that vulgar, come to think of it.
http://www.pootcomic.com/
Poot! Comic is taking a break. People tend not to buy magazines much in the middle of summer, so we're having some time off ourselves, and will return with a bumper issue of rude and silly jokes in late September. The fun-packed pages of the June/July issue (issue 5) may possibly still be available from a few newsagents in the UK and in one or two other countries.
So a new issue should've been out this week it seems. Site needs updating though...
It's stocked by Borders
Pretty sure they would've only had issue 1, because of the timing of their demise.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Steve Henderson wrote: Its the 200th issue of VIZ next month, just wonder what they will be cooking up over in North Shields!
Dunno, but here in the Midlands I'm drawing a Felix and His Amazing Underpants story for that issue, just as soon as I finish the Team Toxic strip I'm working on (for Toxic) at present.

Viz 200 will be out on October 21st. By way of celebration readers are required to buy 200 copies each. :cheers:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

I think it's fabulous that Viz has been running for 200 years. I must admit, the time has just flown by :cheers:
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

Steve Henderson

Looking forward to it Lew! Although 200 issues seems a bit much seeing as not many places will stock it! its okay though I will just subscribe to it 200 times, and then all I will have to worry about is what to do with 200 free golf balls, keyrings, socks or whatever is being given away this month!

Its funny how other comics are not taking breaks for the summer. Is this the end of Poot (again)? I sent them some work in and they told me it was 'too Viz like' perhaps if there comic took onboard some of Viz's standards they wouldn't have to take a break.

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

Lew, it's massively cool that you draw for Viz :notworthy:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

chrissmillie wrote:I think it's fabulous that Viz has been running for 200 years. I must admit, the time has just flown by :cheers:
200 years? lol, it's 200 issues.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Steve Henderson wrote:Its funny how other comics are not taking breaks for the summer. Is this the end of Poot (again)? I sent them some work in and they told me it was 'too Viz like' perhaps if there comic took onboard some of Viz's standards they wouldn't have to take a break.
I thought of sending some stuff in, but i have an A3 laser printer so will just 'publish' it myself, in a comic called SCV. Mind you it will probably be every-5-yearly at best, not monthly!

It was only going to be a Captain Hurricane parody anyway, he is sold to a US publisher halfway through a story and suddenly becomes all "gritty" and "realistic"

Steve Henderson

Well Poot told me they were looking for something 'cuddly with a sense of depravity' if that helps with your creations

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Teddy bears with chainsaws, gotcha.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Tonibunny wrote:Lew, it's massively cool that you draw for Viz :notworthy:
Thanks Toni. It's massively cool that you buy it. :D

One or two other Viz contributors also post here from time to time.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/