Comics on TV

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: Comics on TV

Post by felneymike »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Digifiend wrote:That stand may say Fleetway Libraries, but it seems to actually be DC Thomson on there, specifically My Weekly.
Things like that happened back then. Perhaps in this sanitized tv version of a newsagents they felt that war picture libraries would be too much for them to cope with. :lol:
In the third picture i think i can see War Picture Library, though! A yellow cover with a menacing SS officer and the title seems to be "On To Hell"!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Yes I can see that Picture library, thier's a couple more comics under the caravan mag but I can't get the scan any clearer then that.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Lew Stringer wrote:If it's upside down how come the front cover is still on our right? It looks like an issue of Knockout to me but you've seen the film and I haven't so I'll take your word for it.

I can't tell what comic it is. :(

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I don't think the comic is upside down. For one thing, the first panel seems to have the title of the strip within it, and secondly, the boy seems to be concentrating in a way that suggests that he is actually reading.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:I don't think the comic is upside down. For one thing, the first panel seems to have the title of the strip within it, and secondly, the boy seems to be concentrating in a way that suggests that he is actually reading.
I can't imagine any comic having a mono or limited colour front cover and a full colour back, so I think it's the right way up. Logo is red on yellow, and it's the 1950s, so it could be Knockout in my opinion, similar to the cover from Peter's website:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fU62jYYMnHo/S ... ay+146.jpg

Unless I'm missing something obvious. What makes you think it's Lion, Steve?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

It's a bit of a long shot but if somebody can recognise the cover of The Topper, it should be possible to discover in which week the comics were issued. We would then be that much nearer to identifying the middle comic. The Knockout does seem an eminently sensible suggestion though, I must admit.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I also thought it was the Knockout as well but a few seconds later there is an edit and the boy has the Lion in his hand the right way up. I'll have to dig out the dvd again and do a freeze and zoom on it. Looks like a very early Topper. Maybe he had two comics in his hand back to back.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:I also thought it was the Knockout as well but a few seconds later there is an edit and the boy has the Lion in his hand the right way up.
I think those are two different comics due to the edit. If it was upside down in the other shot the other side would be full colour, if you see what I mean. (Back covers were not full colour on AP comics back then.)

Perhaps the kid lost a comic after the take or they simply forgot which one he had and gave him a different one when they commenced filming.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

It does appear that the Lion/Knockout ( and I do agree that the other comic is Knockout) juxtaposition was simply down to poor continuity.
From the picture available it appears that the 'Knockout' title heading covers about two-thirds of the top of the page which would make it a pre No 793(8/5/54) edition when the title heading got considerably longer. Also, after this point, the title of the front page strip (Mike) was moved from the first frame of the strip to a position running in a narrow band along the whole of the top of the strip.
This seems reasonably in keeping with the fact that the film in question was released in 1955 and could have quite possibly been in production in the period pre May 1954.
As Phoenix points out the most identifiable strip on display is the 'Mickey the Monkey'
on the cover of the Topper and had I easy access to my early Topper collection I would have checked this out to find the exact date of the issue in question but sadly it is not or, to put it another way, freezing my nadgers off in the loft had little appeal!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Got a Birthday present early The Goodies at last..back for more again..
and watched the very funny Goodies rule O.K the one with dougal and zebedee!!

The dummy govement was banning entertainment.and they burnt on a fire anything that is fun..including a early 70's Dandy comic!!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I was watching 'Shadows' from the 'Look-Back DVD the girl picked up a pile of comics.

Planet Of The Apes

Is that steel Man?

Raven

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote: Is that steel Man?

Spider-Man!

Looks like a pile of lovely, glossy Marvel UK weeklies.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Those US style UK comics passed me by.

Raven

Post by Raven »

From that logo it looks like a 1975 issue of Spider-Man Comics Weekly, even though the episode went out in late 1978.

The Planet of the Apes issue is this one from August 1975:

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveD ... fefe05a990

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Raven wrote:From that logo it looks like a 1975 issue of Spider-Man Comics Weekly, even though the episode went out in late 1978.

The Planet of the Apes issue is this one from August 1975:

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveD ... fefe05a990
I was thinking the same.
I saw 'Shadows' was out in 1978, I have one 'Planet of the Apes' comic from 1975 so 3 year old comics wonder where they dug those up from?

Well found.