Barack Obama in the Beano

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Barack Obama in the Beano

Post by stevezodiac »

Nobody else has mentioned it so i'd better - most of today's papers mention the US President will appear in the April 7th issue of the Beano as it celebrates Dennis's 60 years in the comic - there were no pictures and the newspaper pieces were just very small items so i won't bother scanning them here. Minnie, Plum, Roger and Bash Street 60th birthday celebrations to follow or are they not as important as Dennis?

Could someone give an original appearance date for those characters so we can be prepared?

Lew Stringer

Re: Barack Obama in the Beano

Post by Lew Stringer »

The April 7th issue may be continuing the celebrations but surely this week's issue is the anniversary one?

DandyEd

Post by DandyEd »

I'd like to record my heartfelt congratulations to Dennis on the occasion of his diamond anniversary. Once upon a time, in a previous life, I had the rare pleasure of working on a fiftieth anniversary Dennis book with then-Beano-Editor, Euan Kerr.

I must say that leisurely sifting through nigh-on twenty years of dusty, crumbly David Law Dennis artwork was one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done. Some pages had numerous patches pasted on, which (once they had fallen off due to the dryness of the gum) revealed almost exactly the same drawing beneath. Such was the perfectionism, or insecurity, of the man.

Not to forget later custodians of the legend, I have also been lucky enough to know and meet David Sutherland and Nigel Parkinson, neither of whom could ever be reproached on a professional, artistic or personal level.

Happy anniversary, Dennis!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

better grab that issue quick then as it will end up going for silly money like the amazing spiderman issue the pres was in a while back:lol:

Raven

Post by Raven »

DandyEd wrote:I'd like to record my heartfelt congratulations to Dennis on the occasion of his diamond anniversary. Once upon a time, in a previous life, I had the rare pleasure of working on a fiftieth anniversary Dennis book with then-Beano-Editor, Euan Kerr.

Fifty Years of Mischief - a superb collection.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

stevezodiac wrote:Nobody else has mentioned it so i'd better - most of today's papers mention the US President will appear in the April 7th issue of the Beano as it celebrates Dennis's 60 years in the comic - there were no pictures and the newspaper pieces were just very small items so i won't bother scanning them here. Minnie, Plum, Roger and Bash Street 60th birthday celebrations to follow or are they not as important as Dennis?

Could someone give an original appearance date for those characters so we can be prepared?
Plum's isn't important, due to his long absences since 1986. Dave Sutherland's 50th anniversary as Bash Street artist (2012) is before their 60th birthday (2014).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I had the answer to my own question in front of me all the time in my Duncan McAlpine 1990 Comic Book Price Guide:

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Noone has iconic status quite like Dennis. I'd like to see something special for Minnie, Roger and the Kids, though, when the time comes.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I agree with Andy, those strips are definitely worthy of recognition too. I suspect if any of their birthdays are celebrated, the Bash Street Kids' is most likely to be mentioned.

I'd also personally like to see Billy Whizz's 50th birthday (2014) to be recognised in the comic, but given that (as far as I'm aware) it's never been celebrated it's perhaps too much to hope for. I think an achievement like that is worthy of mention though.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Noone? Is that Peter of Herman's Hermits? I always write nobody as it cannot be misread. No-one isn't right is it? (My second pedant post of the week - i'll be getting nasty phone calls if i'm not careful).

DandyEd

Post by DandyEd »

Not speaking for The Beano here, but on The Dandy we looked into this quite recently.

"Noone", "no-one" and "no one" are all acceptable. We try to go with "no-one" as it avoids the problematic pronunciation of "noone" (for young readers, at least), and "no one" seems a little antiquated.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I would have thought kids would be more at home with no1.

Raven

Post by Raven »

DandyEd wrote:"Noone", "no-one" and "no one" are all acceptable. We try to go with "no-one" as it avoids the problematic pronunciation of "noone" (for young readers, at least), and "no one" seems a little antiquated.

Where did you find "noone" as an acceptable use, DandyEd? I don't think the OED has it, and a google search on expert and dictionary sites verifies that it's always two separate words, "no one" or "no-one." (Though 'noone' may well be acceptable in decades to come, as so many people are undoubtedly typing it that way on the internet!)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Just use "nobody", saves any arguments. :)

LauraH

Post by LauraH »

FWIW, the publisher I used to work for before I became freelance used "noone" in its house style guide. So there must be precedent somewhere.