Power Comics

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

scorpion

Power Comics

Post by scorpion »

Does anyone know if any photos exist of 'Alf and Bart'. I was also wondering if the offices still exist? I had a look on Streetview and the area looks redeveloped, but maybe I'm wrong.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Power Comics

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

If you mean the Odhams comics of the 60s, scorpion, I don't know about the comics offices, but I was shown the derelict site of their printing premises just outside Watford, by a friend who casually mentioned it as we passed.

[Ironically, he had no real interest in comics, but grew up in this area so he knew what he was talking about]---it was quite a bleak site/sight----all smashed windows, overgrown shrubbery and decaying brickwork.

I still would have loved a look around it, especially if some yellowed old 60s comics were still evident.

That was in the early 90s, and I've never been back in the area, so I don't know if it still exists---it seemed quite a big printing works, in tandem with the mass production of the 60s era.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

According to Comics UK contributor Pendragon, himself a Fleetway sub-editor, 'Alf' Wallace can be seen on both these Top Spot covers (apparently he's the bare-chested hunk on no.1 and the chap with 'something to shout about' on no.2).

'Bart' was Eagle editor Bob Bartholomew. I think his photo has appeared in Eagle Times.

As for the offices at 64 Long Acre I'm pretty sure the building itself still exists.

- Phil Rushton

scorpion

Post by scorpion »

That's fascinating. Thanks very much for your replies, taking the time to post those scans, and for the welcome.

I must admit I always pictured Alf and Bart as two much older men. These pics of Alf are extraordinary for me.

I wonder if they are both still with us. They would be absolute gold to have as guests at a future British Comic Convention.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There was a picture of Alf in the Power Comics themselves - on The News From The Floor of 64 page.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yes. I thought I could remember something along those lines. Wasn't he shown accepting an award from the Guardian newspaper? (...on account of Fantastic being judged the most 'educational' new publication for children! :shock: )

- Phil R.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:Wasn't he shown accepting an award from the Guardian newspaper?
Perception and acknowledgement of quality in others, beyond its usual remit, from my must-read daily paper, sadly much-maligned, on these forums at least.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I still seem to remember something about an award that may or may not have been presented by the Guardian but the photo I was thinking of apparently came from The Observer (which many people think of as the 'Sunday Guardian' anyway).

Here's Alf - a few years older and looking far more dapper in his corporate suit - as he appeared in the press cutting reproduced in Fantastic no.5.

(...I'm not sure what slant The Observer gave to the accompanying article but one can't help noticing the ominous mention of 'KLACK!' and 'THUD!' :roll: )

- Phil Rushton

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And here's Steve Holland's fascinating take on the story behind that Guardian 'award'!

http://bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06 ... power.html

- Phil R. :shock:

scorpion

Post by scorpion »

I gets more fascinating with every post. I don't remember other editors using their real names in comics (except in the 70s by people like Dez Skinn). They always seemed to call themselves 'Ed'. Am I wrong about that?

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

philcom55 wrote:I still seem to remember something about an award that may or may not have been presented by the Guardian but the photo I was thinking of apparently came from The Observer (which many people think of as the 'Sunday Guardian' anyway).
Here's Alf - a few years older and looking far more dapper in his corporate suit - as he appeared in the press cutting reproduced in Fantastic no.5.
- Phil Rushton
Here's the screenshot (from a PDF) of the column that accompanied the picture by Jane Brown of Alf. Image
and also another copy of the picture from the Observer 1967 January 15 page 40 ("The Back Page")Image

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I went to Covent Garden this morning and then popped up to Long Acre to pay homage to 64. No sign of Alf and Bart but here's 64 Long Acre as it is today
Attachments
IMG_20211011_110722.jpg

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

All that magic in one building. Thanks for sharing Steve