The Beano 75 years issue whats inside...its guessing time..

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: The Beano 75 years issue whats inside...its guessing tim

Post by colcool007 »

felneymike wrote:
Some considerable exaggeration or misunderstanding there I think Mike.
:oops: I suppose I did overstep the mark that time, sorry

And :oops: for then failing to come back here for several days. Got a job interview offer and was looking up what the place I applied for actually does (now, does the suit still fit?)
Fingers crossed for you. Job hunting sucks. I know, for I do it on a daily basis now. Sigh.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Ugh, I know that feeling. :grouphug:

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

well I've got The 75th Beano comic...HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU DON't WANT to know you've been warned..

there are new artists for characters and a sad goodbye unless they are going to do work for The Beano and Dandy annual or comic later on..so goodbye to older artists Barry Glennard, Dave Eastbury and Barry Appleby..
The Beano has become more like the new Dandy so welcome Jamie Smart proper on Roger...Roger's dad has his moustache again! The Numbskulls is back to two pages..this time celebs are looked inside of..
lots of celebs which looks like they'll be back next week..
so quite a big change and in art styles and new look for Ball Boy !!
Having the celebs in this special issue is fine But not sure i want it everyweek..we'll see next week..
So quite a creative issue..

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

felneymike wrote:
Some considerable exaggeration or misunderstanding there I think Mike.
:oops: I suppose I did overstep the mark that time, sorry
Thanks Mike.

Good luck with the job hunting!
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Peter Gray wrote:well I've got The 75th Beano comic...HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU DON't WANT to know you've been warned..

there are new artists for characters and a sad goodbye unless they are going to do work for The Beano and Dandy annual or comic later on..so goodbye to older artists Barry Glennard, Dave Eastbury and Barry Appleby..
The Beano has become more like the new Dandy so welcome Jamie Smart proper on Roger...Roger's dad has his moustache again! The Numbskulls is back to two pages..this time celebs are looked inside of..
lots of celebs which looks like they'll be back next week..
so quite a big change and in art styles and new look for Ball Boy !!
Having the celebs in this special issue is fine But not sure i want it everyweek..we'll see next week..
So quite a creative issue..
Hold it! Appleby drew Gnasher's Bite too, not just Roger. Was that strip missing? Also, did you also get the Dennis Megazine? It's possible that artists were redeployed there.

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

Interesting stuff about the Beano 75th there!

We didn't get our Beano, but we did get the D&G Megazine..... I'll try to do some font colour business for those that don't want to know anything....

Well, the main comic bulk is only 24 pages wrapped in an oversized glossy cover, the plastic tat my boy likes - the usual water pistol thingy, some water balloons, and a "Gnasher Soaker" - a cloth that soaks up water.

There's a 10 page story split into 3 parts by the Nigels.

There's some features, Richard Hammond related, along with the "Hamster" with Dennis in a poster in the middle.

And, er, rather disappointingly, the 32 page comic "from Dennis's stash", printed on smaller rougher paper with its own set of staples, like the first Dandy reprint in the final Dandy is - keeping with this Dandy theme - all Nuke Noodle.........

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

meherenow wrote:And, er, rather disappointingly, the 32 page comic "from Dennis's stash", printed on smaller rougher paper with its own set of staples, like the first Dandy reprint in the final Dandy is - keeping with this Dandy theme - all Nuke Noodle.........
Must be trying to get some extra mileage out of it I suppose... it would be unseen by probably two thirds of the readership. That explains certain comments then.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

There is a full-page article in the Family section of today's issue of The Guardian about this issue of The Beano. I won't try to post it as it will presumably be available on line. It is quite interesting.

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

And also I note that the D&G Megazine, although splashed as #1 on the cover, in the barcode box we are told it is #80, with the BeanoMax logo next to said box.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

no Gnasher bites...so does have a bit of sadness the 75th issue But of course the new artists are quirky silly and fun..lots of surreal iideas...so a mega change to The Beano ever in my mind!!!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

[/quote]Fingers crossed for you. Job hunting sucks. I know, for I do it on a daily basis now. Sigh.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that, Col, these can be harsh times indeed, but never stop searching, as something will always come along...been there meself, and all that.

SID

Post by SID »

meherenow wrote:And also I note that the D&G Megazine, although splashed as #1 on the cover, in the barcode box we are told it is #80, with the BeanoMax logo next to said box.
I take it that your Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Megazine came to you via subscription?

I also take it that it's using the same barcode to save on paperwork for the stores (and possibly expense for DCT)?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

SID wrote:
I take it that your Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Megazine came to you via subscription?

I also take it that it's using the same barcode to save on paperwork for the stores (and possibly expense for DCT)?

Yes came by sub, can't check the barcode just now as my boys have it at granny's tonight.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

An article in today's Daily Mail about class was accompanied by a very large colour picture of Lord Snooty. It made me wonder that they might have had that image ready because they are planning a Beano 75 tribute and had been getting hold of some Beano images in preparation. Time will tell.