Janet & Anne Grahame Johnstone

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

suebutcher

Re: Janet & Anne Grahame Johnstone

Post by suebutcher »

Phil, Wood's "King Of The World" wasn't aimed at kids. It was for college-age Tolkien fans.

The Johnstones' later illustrations remind me a bit of Pauline Baynes, who had a similar medieval flatness. I like "flat" art, it's the way I normally draw.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

I've just bought (for the princely sum of 40p!) a book illustrated by the Grahame Johnstone's. It's called "happy ever after" and was published in 1969 by Young World Publications.

I am away from my scanner so no pictures sorry.

I also acquired "time for tales" illustrated by Ronald Embleton in the same shop, and there was at least one more volume "nightingale tales".

Anyone know anything about them? Are they from the same source material or were they all brand new stuff????

Thanks in advance
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Just acquired a load of original art produced by the amazing Johnstone twins for Finding Out magazine during the 1960s (some of their best work IMHO). It cost an arm and a leg but I'm over the moon! :)
Attachments
JanetAndAnne1953.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:Just acquired a load of original art produced by the amazing Johnstone twins for Finding Out magazine during the 1960s
To my eyes, Phil, that looks just like a photograph. A remarkable achievement.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Ahem! :) ...Leaving aside their astonishing photorealist skills here's a nicely stylized page from 'Goldenmane' - a black & white comic strip serial the sisters drew for Robin in the early 1960s. As can be seen Janet (who specialized in any animals that appeared in their work) had a remarkable talent for drawing horses!
Attachments
robbb.jpg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And here's a full-colour Robin centre-spread from the same period which features the uniquely elfin-featured children they became famous for.
Attachments
robcc.jpg

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

nice work.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

philcom55 wrote:...And here's a full-colour Robin centre-spread from the same period which features the uniquely elfin-featured children they became famous for.
Think I had a nursery rhyme book with that art in it - certainly it links in my mind with a version of 'Pop goes the weasel' so it could possibly have been a music book.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yes. Over the years they produced numerous books of Nursery Rhymes, Fairy Tales, Bible Stories, etc. for publishers like Dean - all filled with Anne's distinctive tousel-haired children. There can't have been many people who grew up in Britain during the second half of the 20th century without being exposed to their work at an early age, from the original episodes of Watch With Mother on TV until Anne's final, exquisite illustrations for A Year Of Poetry in 1997.
Attachments
317bfd9f5bb67d93fd9e05cda88e08a4.jpg
Last edited by philcom55 on 31 Jan 2017, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The first episode of 'The Enchanted Book' - another of the rarely-seen Fairy Tale strips that the Johnstone sisters drew for Robin during the early 1960s.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And here's another of their idyllic Robin centrespreads. It's weird to think that I was the same age as these happy urchins when this appeared! :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The cover of an early Watch With Mother book featuring Janet and Anne's own versions of Bill and Ben, Andy Pandy, Teddy, Looby Loo, and Rag, Tag and Bobtail.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I couldn't resist adding yet another of the Johnstones' Robin centrespreads (which the sisters drew on an alternating basis with a number of other artists). While I've never been a particular fan of the tradition of child illustration established by Kate Greenaway and continued by the likes of Mabel Lucie Attwell (both of whom were a clear influence on Janet and Anne's oeuvre) I can't help being impressed by the masterful sense of design and movement displayed in these charming scenes.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

And if anyone is interested, here is a copy of Tales of Ancient Greece that the owner is interested in selling.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

philcom55 wrote:The cover of an early Watch With Mother book featuring Janet and Anne's own versions of Bill and Ben, Andy Pandy, Teddy, Looby Loo, and Rag, Tag and Bobtail.
You should ashamed of yourself Phil for not mentioning (to me!) that Raymond Sheppard did some work in this book (which I've owned for quite a while). Check out my blog article. Your punishment is to scan all the Black Beauty strips in the first volume of Girl for me...PLEASE!