Any new developments...??

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

SID

Any new developments...??

Post by SID »

Just wanted to know if there have been any new developments regarding The Dandy coming back in any way, shape or form.

Or has The Dandy has gone the same way as its siblings - The Beezer, The Topper, etc...?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Re: Any new developments...??

Post by Digifiend »

Nothing announced except the 2015 annual.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Although apparently there are considering having another shot at The Digital Dandy and fixing all of the bugs.

Andy Fanton mentioned it in this blog post: http://www.andyfanton.com/2013/08/the-g ... ikes-back/
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

SID

Post by SID »

Maybe a silly question: :)

Now if The Dandy does not get relaunched, does that make the comic officially 'retired' in the eyes of this forum? Or because there is still a book published annually, The Dandy is still on the 'active' list?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Let's live in hope.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Yes I would like to see The Dandy return in some sort of weekly format but I hope DC Thomson makes sure it all works before launching it.

I do fear the worst now though as it has now had 4 relaunches that have failed to bring back it's glory days.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

We shouldn't just assume they've given up though... unless Desperate Dan turns up in The Beano, which doesn't seem to be forthcoming. As long as Dan doesn't join Bananaman in Beanotown, there's always a possibility that DCT have something up their sleeves. If he does though, that means we'll have another Beezer and Topper situation, where characters join the surviving title without there being an official merger.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I'm not saying they should give up, I'm just wondering what else they can do and if a digital comic can be a success.

Lets be fair on DC Thomson as they really have tried to keep The Dandy going when most comics would have folded.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

There were four main problems.
One, the technology was too new and had lots of bugs.
Two, loading times on old computers and most mobile devices were too slow.
Three, they left it too late to run a proper advertising campaign. One mention in The Beano the week it launches, then nothing until after the reboot? Recipe for disaster.
Four, repetition. Instead of deleting the original run, they should just fixed the bugs. I bet some fans missed some of the content in the second run because so much was repeated from the first that they got bored.

Points one and two in particular need sorting out before they try again.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Points one and two were the reason I didn't buy it as I tried one issue and couldnt get it to load.

As for point three maybe they should try to build up some anticipation for it first by advertising it in The Beano about a month before it's release, keep the advertisements in there and find some other ways to show it to the public (TV, newspapers). The advertising campaign for the original Digital Dandy and the 2010 relaunch was almost non existent.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Gilly wrote:Points one and two were the reason I didn't buy it as I tried one issue and couldnt get it to load.

As for point three maybe they should try to build up some anticipation for it first by advertising it in The Beano about a month before it's release, keep the advertisements in there and find some other ways to show it to the public (TV, newspapers). The advertising campaign for the original Digital Dandy and the 2010 relaunch was almost non existent.
I still think they should have merged The Dandy with The Beano - at least 'til they had all the glitches worked out. At least the title survives in Annuals and occasional Specials.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

They could still merge the 2 titles as i seem to remember Scream disappearing only to reappear months later merged with Eagle,I for 1 would like to see A merged Beano & Dandy so we could still see the classic dandy characters as Beano is awful now with the new strips & dandy style artwork :(

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You realise that a formal merger would only mean more of that so-called "awful" style of artwork? Most of the new influx of Beano artists worked on the post 2010 Dandy as well.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Digifiend wrote:You realise that a formal merger would only mean more of that so-called "awful" style of artwork? Most of the new influx of Beano artists worked on the post 2010 Dandy as well.
I meant merge only the title, but with the classic versions of Dandy characters - as Big Bad Bri says - the current Beano is offal - I mean awful. (|Hah! Right either way.)

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Hmmm, Dandy-strip related news over on Nigel Parkinson's blog here:

http://nigelparkinsoncartoons.blogspot. ... n.html?m=1

Cuddles & Dimples AND The Banana Bunch to return but where........?