A Christmas Gift----from Me to You

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

A Christmas Gift----from Me to You

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

---well, it's from the hyper-prolific IPC stalwart Terry Bave, really, [oh yes, I also nicked the title of this theme wholesale from an old Phil Spector album----I think].

This comic page is from one of my all-time favourite Christmas comic-tales, from WHIZZER and Chips , issue dated 26/12/1970.

Fantastic twist at the end of this story, one that really captured my imagination: Bravo! to 'Tezza' and the scriptwriter responsible, of course!

Going by the dramatic ending to this outing, this looks like the very final instalment to this concept's run what with Smudger Smiths' creepy Nemesis losing his free will and individual status---however the strip did return, with Shadow returning to his mischevious, independent ways.

I'll be adding more vintage comics strips of Christmas themolgy on this thread, on the run up to the 25th.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: A Christmas Gift----from Me to You

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Here's Phase 2,

'HIRE A HORROR' from COR!! issue dated 26 Dec 1970.

Artwork by Reg Parlett of course: I actually remember sitting on the top deck on a bus on my way home from the pictures, reading this story:

DC Thomson never quite depicted 'glam babes' in the same way we saw them over at good old IPC.....at least, not in 1970.
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 16 Dec 2013, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Rab, I just looked at my Christmas 1970 issue of Cor!! (26/12/70) and the strip was reprinted. Seems likely that they prematurely printed the story two weeks early. or more likely, the strip for this issue didn't make the deadline, hence the reprint.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Wow, I was unaware of that unusual step, Blaing [there are holes in my COR!! collection, sadly] and thanks for pointing that out for me.

Rab

EDIT: sorry, Blaing---I got my dates wrong, but have amended the error!
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 16 Dec 2013, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Love them both...thanks Spy...just love Reg's work so much..

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I cant see the 1st strip at all only the hire a horror one

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Thanks for your welcome responses, readers: yes, the Me and my Shadow entry has came out a bit ill-defined, but hopefully it is still readable for some of you.

Meanwhile...

Phase Two-point-Five:

---another Hire a Horror semi-bonus, this one is from the previous issue: COR!! issue dated 19th December, 1970:

Love that little musical note limping through the letter-box in frame three; probably unscripted, but the sort of inspiration and attention to incidental detail that can strike a talented 'toonsmith at the penciling stage.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Here's a larger version of the "Me and my Shadow" strip.
Attachments
Me and my Shadow from 26/12/1970
Me and my Shadow from 26/12/1970

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Much appreciated, Al---more goods on the way soon, my good fellow!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Phase 3:

Ach!* Time to inject some 'color' into the festive proceedings----the date here should be self-explanatory......

* A Pictish-Scottish excursion, or exclamation, to all you Sassenachs who never read Oor Wullie or the Broons!

From the selfsame 1973 issue, the first Christmas [anarchic] outing from this character, who was surely one of the most successful IPC comics-creations of the 1970s. I assume this fairly early strip was penned by his originator Leo Baxendale, but to be honest I have difficulty telling some of his successors' work apart from him:

although it certainly resembles his later work on the Badtime Bedtime Books.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've been devoting my life trying to tell the difference between Mike Brown's art and Leo's. That one looks Mike Brownish.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I'd've said Leo. My tip is to learn Mike's style by studying his Badtime bedtime tales and Wizard Prang and Demon Druid.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Whoever drew it, it's in a supremely funny style, and I can see why this strip was so popular---Sweeney later became a front-page star/ Mascot for one of the late 70s IPC comics, I seem to recall.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Whoopee!! twice on the cover and whizzer and chips which is amazing as Slippy held that spot for so long...late Joker was on the cover..

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Thanks, Peter----if anyone on here can clarify that for me, I know that you can! Sweeny looked like he was on the cusp of Comics Megastardom at one point.......destined to become the IPC symbol as recognized everywhere.

Anyway...

Shiver and Shakeonly ran one 'official' Christmas issue, [it ran from March 1973, until merging with WHOOPEE! in October 1974] so I've decided to give the comic a fair Festive representation on here.

Here's a relatively obscure strip, the sort that rarely gets a fair crack of the whip, even on a specialized forum such as this one------it's drawn by Trevor Metcalfe, naturally. Although the visuals are glossy, very attractive and accomplished, it's another strip that never quite set the comics world alight, which just goes to show that quality graphics alone is no guarantee to instant success, and that a winning formula is often a case of experimentation and hit-and-miss.

SHIVER and SHAKE ['Shake section'], issue dated 29th Dec 1973.

I think it's a good strip, but the rougher-hewn Sweeny Toddler from the same comic undoubtedly won over more readers.