Slump in activity

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hard Truths

Slump in activity

Post by Hard Truths »

I've been lurking the forum recently and I've noticed that there's been a huge slump in activity since Kid Robson left. Sure, he was the forum's most controversial member ever, and arguments always started with him around, but at least something was actually happening. Now? Nothing. This really gives a new meaning to "Be careful what you wish for".

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Slump in activity

Post by colcool007 »

HT, I am sure you will find that we often have peaks and troughs in activity. People have other activities and the best thing about this forum is that you can post as much or as little as you like.

As to something happening, just look at the 100 Best characters thread. Or to who's buying what just now.

Either way, having lots happening is not always a good thing. In our case, less is more as I would rather read a well crafted reply about the contributions of say Harry Farrugia rather than any attempt to bait fellow forum members.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

Where's the like button?

(actually that would be a good idea)
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Just having a short rest and then I'll be posting more of my art collection.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

It's the time of year----lots of folks prefer to stay out of current 'tastes of the more depressing sort' of early January----------come back in late Feb, I'm sure we will all get along like a House on Fire----

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Returning to the topic, I offer this thought. This site is comicsuk.co.uk and as such would suggest that it covers British comics. No doubt it does but the main emphasis on the forum seems to be on humour titles and strips. There are other sections but they, for the most part, seem to have been inactive for some time. While I do enjoy some humour comics and strips - G.G. Swan, D.C. Thomson up to about late '60's and a few others - my preference is for adventure, s.f., masked mystery men and thriller stories, strips and serials. I only recently realized that discussion of the wonderful history of this type of entertainment is in the minority. Presumably reflecting the interests of many members. But I wonder if the predominance of Beano, Dandy (particularly in their modern versions) and some others of the class might be putting the casual viewer/member off. Fortunately this forum does have excellent conversations on Girls' Comics but, again, many people of my generation, and young people, might not have the same interest in the subject, having never seen girls' comics, or being male, think there is nothing for them there. A wrong attitude imo, but perhaps true?
So with the Dandy gone, should comicsuk keep the heading for the comic? Or put it in the Retired DCT titles? Then, add headings for other fallen flag titles which featured the highest standards of work, and/or were incredibly popular and discussion of which might bring new lurkers into the light. Making a concerted effort to post in those sections for a while would be a good idea. e.g. Thriller Picture Library; Eagle; Marvelman. There may well be an outpouring of astounding apathy but, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I realize that I could do wee bits of this myself but first, I'd prefer to see what responses, if any, and preferably polite-ish, appear.
We don't need rudeness and deliberately started arguments, as we had for a while, to discuss the wealth of entertainment in British comics.
I have no intention of being controversial with this post, so please treat it as the result of my pondering the "Slump in activity".

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Part of my problem is that my comics knowledge is strictly limited to humour comics since the 1970s, ie since I have been old enough to enjoy them. It doesn't mean that I don't enjoy reading discussions of adventure stories, but usually there's absolutely nothing useful I can offer in a post.

We haven't discussed closing the Dandy forum yet. I personally think that while there is some hope of its return, we should keep it, and it is recent enough to have a degree of traffic greater than some of the ones we amalgamated a few years ago, but eventually...

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Although I have great enthusiasm for the types of story I mentioned above, my knowledge is a bit limited so I suppose I am being a bit opportunistic here inasmuch as I might glean lots more info. and insights from those who do have the knowledge. I have some reference pamphlets and there is more available on the internet but many of us could learn a lot more by trying to open up the discussions, I think. I'm also much older and my memories, and my collection, reflect what I bought and read decades ago.
Maybe I'm on a shoogly peg with this one.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I must admit that my tastes were formed by the 70's output and it is only thanks to places such as comicsuk that I have been able to expand my knowledge. And Ebay has certainly helped to expand my comic collection far beyond that which I ever thought possible.

I am happy to discuss anything that I can add to, but I try to keep my ignorance in certain spots well hidden. :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

I don't have a great interest in humour comics myself (even then, I was more Fleetway than Beano/Dandy). I'd be interested in hearing more about old adventure but, like Col, wouldn't have too much to say as I'm more Seventies. I'd love more discussion about Warlord, Starlord and Bullet(lord) but I'm more a story guy than a creator-fan. Who cares who wrote it as long as it's good. So, I find it difficult to get started too.
STARSCAPE Comic

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

starscape wrote:I'm more a story guy than a creator-fan. Who cares who wrote it as long as it's good.
Each to his own of course, but I tend to be the opposite. I'm interested primarily in the art. The story is secondary to me, and only then of interest if it's well constructed. These are mainly stories for children after all, so I don't expect them to excite me too much as a 54 year old.

I think it's important to care who created the strips because there'd be no story without them. Also, by following a certain artist and/or writer you like, there's a good chance you'll find similar work by them also appealing.

I must admit that when I first discovered comics fandom in the 1970s I presumed all fans would have an interest in the entire history of comics, as I have. But it does seem more nostalgia driven, with most only being interested in comics they bought as children or current titles. As I said, each to his own, and I'm not saying there's anything wrong in only liking a certain era, but I still feel it's a shame that UK comics and creators prior to 1950 are being gradually forgotten. I post about older comics on my blog sometime, but going by the hits the interest in those is definitely lower than those of more recent decades.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

starscape

Post by starscape »

I've maybe over-egged the pudding there. I was trying to say my main interest is reading (I still find a good deal of the adventures are still enjoyable, although by no means all). I do have an interest in the writer (far more than the artist, strangely enough - good art is nice, a good story is essential). I do read Back Issue and would if there was a similar UK one. A regular one anyway.

I wouldn't say it was purely nostalgia. I tend to like stories from the 70s/80s more (as in, I think Charley's War is still readable but struggle with, say, Black Bob) but 60s Valiant and Marvel was a big step forward (before my time but some good stuff in there). I still read modern Marvel/DC and Commando (plus others). Just wish there was a really good regular British one that was a natural progression from The Crunch, Warlord etc.

I do have an interest in older comics from an 'academic' point of view (got a few golden-age British superheroes), although I find items like Chums unreadable. Still interesting. In fact, Paw, why not start off with some items about the Phantom? Got some from the Charlton Bullseye series. I consider him the first one that can be really be called a superhero.
STARSCAPE Comic

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

starscape wrote:
I do have an interest in older comics from an 'academic' point of view (got a few golden-age British superheroes), although I find items like Chums unreadable. Still interesting.
Agreed. I must admit I wouldn't choose to spend my time reading old boys papers but I would be interested in some as historical items. To me now, I'd rather read about the history of such papers, what inspired them, how they reflected the times, rather than reading the stories. Although with old humour comics (such as Comic Cuts or Radio Fun etc) it's the artwork I find appealing (probably because it's my line of work) but, again, it's how they reflect their times that is fascinating.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Starscape, I read your comment, wrote a pile of stuff re. The Phantom, pressed the submit button and was asked to sign in, again. Did that and all my words disappeared. Ah well. Too much to do to churn it out all over again.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote:I read your comment, wrote a pile of stuff re. The Phantom, pressed the submit button and was asked to sign in, again. Did that and all my words disappeared.
This has happened to me on several occasions, especially when interrupted while writing a post, having to leave it partially-written for half an hour or more before being able to come back and finish it off. I have discovered that after signing in again, all you have to do then is go back a page (or two?) beyond your new blank Post-a-reply page, and the partially-written post is still there. Because you are now signed in again, you can proceed as per normal. Submit it again, and it will post.