Free 32 page Beano with Saturday's Daily Mirror.

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Free 32 page Beano with Saturday's Daily Mirror.

Post by stevezodiac »

The heading says it all really. There is a small full colour ad in today's Daily Mirror promising a 32 page Beano free with this Saturday's paper. Why I repeated it I'll never know but I had to write something.

philcom55

Re: Free 32 page Beano with Saturday's Daily Mirror.

Post by philcom55 »

Did someone say there's a free 32 page Beano in the Daily Mirror this Saturday? :)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes. It s 32 pages and its free with this coming Saturday's Daily Mirror. It says here. Get up early and avoid the thunder of hooves.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Today's Daily Mirror has a larger ad advertising a free Digital Dennis the Menace Comic. There's also an advert for WH Smith saying buy one annual get another for a pound.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

https://www.facebook.com/TheBeanoComic/ ... hare_reply
It's not just in the Daily Mirror, it's also in the Daily Record and four local papers: Liverpool Echo, Manchester Evening News, Birmingham Mail and The Chronicle

starscape

Post by starscape »

Well I bought the BBC Wildlife magazine last month and there was no Beano in it. Have I made some error along the way?
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Not in the Pie & Mash Eaters Monthly either. Nor the Windsock Spotter's Weekly. I'll have a look in The Cummerbund Wearer's Gazette tonight. (Incorporating The Bow Tie Fancier)

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

stevezodiac wrote:Not in the Pie & Mash Eaters Monthly either. Nor the Windsock Spotter's Weekly. I'll have a look in The Cummerbund Wearer's Gazette tonight. (Incorporating The Bow Tie Fancier)
:lol:

starscape

Post by starscape »

If only they had been clear about where this free 100 page copy of Film Fun was going to appear :headbash:
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

What? I was only pointing out additional info. If you normally buy one of those other papers anyway, you won't need to buy a Daily Mirror.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:What? I was only pointing out additional info. If you normally buy one of those other papers anyway, you won't need to buy a Daily Mirror.
It was very thoughtful of you, Digi, to point this out because people tend not to want to switch from their usual newspaper for any reason, let alone just to get a free issue of The Beano. In my opinion the responses merely indicate that some members believe that Thomsons' initiative would have had a greater impact if they had also arranged for their comic to be distributed in periodicals that people actually prefer to read.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Was digi unaware our responses were humorous? Allegedly.

Anyway today's Daily Mirror has a half-ish page Dennis strip about tomorrow's free edition.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Was Digi unaware our responses were humorous?
I'm sure he was, Steve, but I would have thought that starscape's remark about the 100-page issue of Film Fun should have caused a few pennies to drop.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Being middle aged I grew up listening to repeats of the Goon Show. There was the classic line "As all readers of the Isle Of Arran Shoemaker's Monthly will know...."

We have to accept that such humour may go over the heads of the younger generation.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

We had a big stack of the free ones in our shop for some reason, far too many to fit into the papers. Gave away loads of them, hopefully get some of the local kids interested in the Beano, yes?

As for the comic itself... I liked the Father Ted reference, ho ho!
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s