Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
This week's issue - Take 4 
Throgmorton

Yes, I think I said I got confirmation that the subscription edition of the Christmas issue would continue to include the retail cover mounts. Mine arrived today.

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:25 pm
Profile WWW

Bought my copy today but won't read until Christmas Day.

Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle-Action, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.

Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:00 pm
Profile YIM

Nigel Auchterlounie wrote:
Digifiend wrote:
Next week's is the Christmas edition.

Keep a look out for what maybe the most heavy handed bit of foreshadowing in a comic ever, in the Christmas Dennis. :)
I know this wasn't what you meant, but the line about freak localised weather conditions was better than intended, considering that there really are freak weather conditions this week! :lol:

Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:41 pm
Profile WWW

I liked Mac's cartoon which appeared in yesterday's Daily Mail I may order a print:

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:15 am

Good to see Stan McMurtry still producing great work! Always liked his stuff in Smash!

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:51 am
Profile WWW

I'd never associated Mac with Stan McMurty the comic artist even though I knew Mac's full name. Prints are £55 so I won't bother.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:44 pm

stevezodiac wrote:
I'd never associated Mac with Stan McMurty the comic artist even though I knew Mac's full name. Prints are £55 so I won't bother.

Ouch! That's a bit steep. Although you did sell that UNCLE comic for a tidy sum.... :D

His style has changed since the sixties, although in the comics he was 'ghosting' Leo Baxendale to a certain extent.

Graham Allen is the other Wham/Smash/Pow regular who's still active as a cartoonist of course.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:17 pm
Profile WWW

Ha, nice Dandy reference there, an RIP tag on a picture of Desperate Dan.

Of course I can't imagine The Beano even referencing Charlie Hebdo - terrorist attacks are too dark a subject for the target audience.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news, the Beano website is down. Someone screwed up the DocumentElement coding.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:07 pm
Profile WWW

I think now is the time for desperate Dan & maybe korky to come into the beano as im sure digital dandy wont be back ( unless a billionaire decides to resurrect the print version),i know numbskulls ^ beryl the peril transferred to beano & dandy after beezer topper closed with out an official merger.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:49 pm

^Dan wouldn't surprise me if he showed up eventually, but they don't really have a reason to bring back Korky. If you want a funny animal who can take on a variety of jobs, then you use Biffo. That really only leaves fishing and mice catching stories. Several other Dandy characters will never join the Beano for similar reasons - Dinah Mo and Beryl the Peril are both too similar to Minnie the Minx (I always found it odd that the two were in The Dandy together); Winker Watson is basically Roger the Dodger at boarding school; Cuddles and Dimples are essentially male versions of Bea the Mini-Menace and Ivy the Terrible (even sharing Bea's artist for the last decade), though they do predate the girls; Owen Goal and Ball Boy are completely interchangeable.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:36 pm
Profile WWW

I only mentioned Korky as he is prob the most associated character with the dandy after desperate dan as those 2 were always the main cover stars on the weeklies & annuals.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:05 am

I was thinking about Graham Allen recently. His sports cartoons haven't appeared in the Daily Express for a few months so I wondered where he was plying his trade now?

Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:49 pm

He was born in 1940, so he'll be 75 this year. Maybe he retired?

Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:31 am
Profile WWW

There was a small piece in today's Daily Mirror about Dennis and the Bash Street Kids promoting healthy eating in this week's issue. Don't know how Fatty will cope with that.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:58 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/be ... sh-5048472

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next