early 70s BEANO observations

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

early 70s BEANO observations

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I am just looking through practically every issue of the BEANO from the very early 70s: this is when I used to read it regularly, and although it isn't quite as good as the 60s version, it is pretty creative stuff in the main: some of the gags, storylines and frames I actually recalled after seeing them for the first time since all these years later.

Here's a couple of items that are hopefully of interest:

For years I thought the final David Law DENNIS the MENACE was put out in the weekly comic in 1970, ---the one with the roll of lino------before the duties on this strip were handed over to Gordon Bell----for one week only---then to David Sutherland then onwards in perpetuity.

---But no: in March 1971, at the time of decimilization and the same week the comic increased from 16 pages to a then-whopping 20, two more David Law Dennis strips turn up, maybe these were kept in reserve to help strengthen the 'relaunch' of the decimal-era BEANO?

---Anyway, this is the final Dennis Law [!] weekly BEANO strip strip I can identify thus far at least:

And this next cover from late 1972 illustrates a real revelation for me:

Dudley Watkins left us in 1969 and in those pre-internet days you were left to work out everything about comics and who was creatively responsible for them all on your own: I knew Biffo the Bear was drawn by another artist, but I never knew who:

---However! Take a look at the guy sitting at the high desk on the extreme right of the final frame: at the time, I spotted this artist as 'the same guy who draws the Bash Street Kids---this character looks like the Head Teacher!!' David Sutherland, of course.....

---This was a bona-fide EUREKA! moment for me---or perhaps loss of innocence, depending on how you look at it: I have never forgotten this personal moment of realization and great to rediscover this page, the first sight I have had of it since '72.

Peter Gray

Re: early 70s BEANO observations

Post by Peter Gray »

nice finds..also the bash street kids playing cricket also helps to see..

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

A good point, Mr Gray; although I am not especially a fan of the Sutherland-era BIFFO---the Watkins version was just too powerful a style to ever top-----there is no doubt that David Sutherland was one of the very best, most versatile comic artists in Britain, in this period.

About the Dennis strip: the 'official' final Dennis strip with the roll of lino looks less than top-quality, which is perhaps because David Law did not keep good health towards the end of his life---the examples published later look a bit more like it---maybe they were drawn earlier than the lino one, and the lino one was the final strip of the Menace he actually drew?

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Rather than start a new post, I thought I would hi-jack this one. My post concerns the later seventies, Beano Book 1978 in particular. I was always led to believe that auxiliary artists were hauled in to draw the annuals as opposed to the usual weekly artists of same title. But, on reading Beano Book 1978, I am confronted with familiar artists of their contemporary strips - i.e: Dennis the Menace, Bash Street Kids - David Sutherland; Frank McDiarmid - Roger the Dodger; Malcolm Judge - Ball Boy and Billy Whizz; Jacky Daw with Maw and Paw - David Gudgeon; The 3 Bears - Bob McGrath; Minnie the Minx - Vic Petrie; Pup Parade - Gordon Bell (loved the strip where the pups obtained a Gordon Bell from Gordon's Bell shop.); Wee Ben Nevis - Vic Neil. Not too sure about Tom, Dick and Sally or Little Plum. I think Baby-Face Finlayson is by Ron Spencer. So, in the end, did all these weekly artists contribute to this 1978 book or am I beholding very good ghost artists?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Fleetway tended to use ghost artists, but DC Thomson usually had the weekly artists also draw the annual stories. So Plum probably is by Ron Spencer.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

I thought so too; it's just that the bigger strips can deceive to a point. I really believe there were no ghost artists as regards Beano Book 1978 except Tom, Dick and Sally.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

My copy of the Beano Book 1978 is at my mum and dad's, but Tom Dick and Sally was probably drawn by Bob Nixon, and if not, by Keith Reynolds - but probably by Bob. Post us a clip :)

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

My scanner has gone south, andy, but from a many panel on Tom, Dick and Sally (after divulging a whole year's worth 1977) I just thought the hair, expression, and movement was slightly skewed on all characters. Maybe Keith was having a bad day :lol:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Keith Reynolds was well known as a 'belt-em-out-quickly' artist at DCT: this is a good or bad thing:

---good if an Editor requires work quickly

---bad for the reader of the work looks rushed and sketchy.

I don't mind his stuff personally. Great economical style, well in tune with the 80s especially.