Comics on TV

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Digifiend »

stevezodiac wrote:Barrie Tomlinson was the "artist". He was interviewed last night on talksport. Ex editor of Tiger he has written a book about Roy of the Rovers. He was also interviewed in yesterday's Daily Mirror.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... or-9246601

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Was watching Top Of The Pops 1982 last Thursday:
The first act was The Piranhas featuring Boring Bob Grover doing "Zambesi" - Bob was in a Dennis the Menace style jersey with a rolled up copy of the Beano in his pocket.

That edition is getting repeated at 10:30 on BBC4 tonight.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Here's one that you couldn't buy in the shops. Funo from an episode of The Army Game Series 4 Episode 10 (aired 27 Nov. 1959) - Officers and Gentlemen. I was watching it last night.

It's obviously the Beano comic with the word 'Fun' placed over 'Bean'. Does anyone want to take a stab at what issue it was?
Attachments
Beano aka Beano
Beano aka Beano

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

Al wrote:Here's one that you couldn't buy in the shops. Funo from an episode of The Army Game Series 4 Episode 10 (aired 27 Nov. 1959) - Officers and Gentlemen. I was watching it last night.

It's obviously the Beano comic with the word 'Fun' placed over 'Bean'. Does anyone want to take a stab at what issue it was?
It's Beano number 906, you can see the cover on this page (3rd row)

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/beano/19

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Well, that mystery didn't last very long :)

Thanks Jakob,

Al

(That's a useful little website that you've linked to BTW)

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

DavidKW wrote:Was watching Top Of The Pops 1982 last Thursday:
The first act was The Piranhas featuring Boring Bob Grover doing "Zambesi" - Bob was in a Dennis the Menace style jersey with a rolled up copy of the Beano in his pocket.

That edition is getting repeated at 10:30 on BBC4 tonight.
Thanks for the info - I grabbed these off iPlayer...

I don't think anyone is going to be able to identify the issue involved (go on - prove me wrong! This TOTP was originally broadcast on 21 October 1982 if it's any help).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I think it's either 2099 or 2100, which would've been the current issue at the time of filming.
You can just make out Dennis above the E of the logo in your second pic, the other issues around that time had a solid blue box above the logo.

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

Digifiend wrote:I think it's either 2099 or 2100, which would've been the current issue at the time of filming.
You can just make out Dennis above the E of the logo in your second pic, the other issues around that time had a solid blue box above the logo.
Out of those 2, i think it's 2099. In the first pic you can see a blueish block above the logo which doesn't match 2100, and it may be me just seeing what I want to, but in the second pic, it does look like that image of Dennis pointing at the reader.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Good suggestions, Digi. I agree with Jakob that 2099 seems to most closely match the cover shown in the screen grabs.
Last edited by Niblet on 15 Dec 2016, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

From Children's Film Foundation feature Supersonic Saucer (1956 or 1958 depending on which source you choose to believe - there's no year shown in the credits)...

Sadly the image is just not quite sharp enough to read the cover date. This screen grab is from a TV broadcast, maybe the image on the DVD is clearer.

There's a scene later in the film where one of the villains is seen reading what may be a comic, but this is the best view I could get...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Digifiend wrote:#789 dated June 25, 1955
..another good find!

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

There's another Beano on display in the 'United We Sit' episode of Please Sir! originally broadcast on 04 December 1971.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I can tell you straight away without even checking, that that Beano is definitely from 1971. Any earlier and it would have the 1960s logo.

#1531, November 20th 1971... wow, they filmed that really close to broadcast then.
Niblet wrote:
Digifiend wrote:#789 dated June 25, 1955
..another good find!
Mickey Mouse Weekly's Wikipedia article linked to the website I found the cover on. :)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Nobody is wondering what John Lennon is doing in Please Sir? In the brown leather jacket. He's playing guitar too, further proof.