The Beano Diaries by Ray Moore

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

The Beano Diaries by Ray Moore

Post by Phoenix »

I noticed a day or two back that Ray Moore's The Beano Diaries sold on Phil Shrimpton's recent auction for £69.50, £74.31 if the £4.81 p&p costs are taken into account. Owning these two excellent books is getting a bit like having a personal savings account. I wonder how long it will be before they break through the £100 barrier. :)

big bad bri

Re: The Beano Diaries by Ray Moore

Post by big bad bri »

why don't we do one of those kickstarter things and Ray could reprint the books for any members on here wanting one i'm sure there would be loads of takers.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

big bad bri wrote:why don't we do one of those kickstarter things and Ray could reprint the books for any members on here wanting one
It's a good idea, Bri, but I don't know for certain that Ray actually holds the copyright to his own titles. I'm prepared to be contradicted though. Over to you, Ray.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Didn't DC Thomson's 'History of the Beano' book use a lot of Ray's material from 'The Beano Diaries'?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

It certainly did, Phil. They acknowledged in the index to The History Of The Beano that all the material up to the end of 1989 had been taken from The Beano Diaries, and went on to state that the information after 1989 was provided by Ray and the staff of the company.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Guys,
Re 'The Beano Diaries' although its obviously pleasing to see the occasional set fetch a tidy sum on ebay and to hear that they are still a worthwhile research resource from fellow collectors I do think that they were a thing of their time. I certainly wouldn't consider reproducing them as they were as, now, so much more could be added that has happened to the Beano in the intervening years.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:I certainly wouldn't consider reproducing them as they were as, now, so much more could be added that has happened to the Beano in the intervening years.
They are bound to be a thing of their time, of course, but surely that doesn't rule out an updated version, which would take in everything since 1990, or a completely new volume covering the content from 1990 to the present. You have all the source material, Ray, and where there's a will there's a way. I would be quite willing to make room on the shelf housing my two-volume copy to accommodate the update. :)

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i would love to see an updated version of this and the other books like the beezer and dandy ones too as i don't own any.I did pay a ridiculous price for the buster one though :lol: as i said lets get this kickstarter thing going as im sure majoity of members on here would love to see them or at least all those that regularly post on this forum.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It really is hard to believe that most fans couldn't put a name to 95% of British comic artists in those pre-internet days when Ray, Denis Gifford, Steve Holland, David Ashford, etc. compiled their first indexes. They broke a logjam of ignorance that had pervaded the industry for decades and provided a service that the rest of us should be forever grateful for!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Thanks for your kind words guys, they are much appreciated. I have to admit that I would rather carry on with my work on the Victor Index or my 80 year celebratory volume on the Broons and Oor Wullie than revisit the Beano or the Dandy at the present time.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:I would rather carry on with my work on the Victor Index or my 80 year celebratory volume on the Broons and Oor Wullie
Those will be very welcome books, Ray, and it goes without saying that I wish you well as you get your head round such an enormous amount of material. I remember that we were considering a joint effort on The Victor a couple of years ago but as I was more keen to produce an equivalent volume on Bunty, with your agreement I bailed out and left The Victor to you. That project of mine didn't see the light of day but a few days ago on a different thread I outlined the rough plan for my amended project covering Thomsons eleven titles for girls between the ages of 8/9 and 12/13, which will attempt to present the serial stories in an attractive and informative way. As I have convinced myself that there is really only one viable book on Thomsons' story papers for girls, Bunty will now find herself sharing the stage with Judy, Diana, Mandy et al. I expect the writing of it to take between twelve and fifteen months. Roughly how long do you reckon your index of The Victor will take? Or the Broons and Oor Wullie celebratory volume? Will the latter take precedence or will you be writing both simultaneously?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Kashgar wrote:I would rather carry on with my work on the Victor Index or my 80 year celebratory volume on the Broons and Oor Wullie...
Both those will be very welcome whenever they appear, but given that the Broons made their debut in 1936 isn't it already a bit late for an 80-year celebration?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:given that the Broons made their debut in 1936 isn't it already a bit late for an 80-year celebration?
I don't see any reason why the publisher, whoever that may be, can't be instructed to present it with a 2016 date of publication regardless of whether it is actually published this year or even next.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Why not just call it an over 80 year celebration when its published.i bought my 1st ever broons and oor wullie annuals this year as morrisons were knocking them out for 2 quid so i will have to read them.as i will most likely buy rays books when published.signed copies for forum members cough cough hint hint :lol:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I don't know how far the Broons/Oor Wullie volume is from completion but it's worth remembering that 2019 will mark the fiftieth anniversary of Dudley D. Watkins' death.