What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Here we go Derek. The thread was called Another Lion That Doesn't Sleep Tonight and has been viewed a number of times.
Thank you, Col, for that information. However, that was not the answer I was hoping for. My reference to a time travel machine was in response to your mistaken assumption that we are already in the late 2000s. It is after all only 2017, which I would place in the early 2000s. 2087 will of course be a different matter, and unless there are some serious advances in medical science that will enable humans to live well beyond three score years and ten, unfortunately neither of us will be around to enjoy the experience. Of course if time travel is cracked before we peg out it is highly unlikely that we would be able to enjoy it because a return ticket would probably cost several years worth of our pensions.

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

Chuckles comic #396 (grand seaside number) - 6th Aug 1921

Tiger Tim's Weekly comic #117, #119, #122 & #123 (all Feb-March 1924)

as usual, a bunch of 8x Comic Cuts comics from 1922 - 1933 & 13x Joker comics from 1935 to 1939

and finally usually for me some 'modern comics', Electric Soup #5 & #6 as well as the 10th Anniversary Special from 1990, mainly for the Frank Quitely artwork.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:Here we go Derek. The thread was called Another Lion That Doesn't Sleep Tonight and has been viewed a number of times.
Thank you, Col, for that information. However, that was not the answer I was hoping for. My reference to a time travel machine was in response to your mistaken assumption that we are already in the late 2000s. It is after all only 2017, which I would place in the early 2000s. 2087 will of course be a different matter, and unless there are some serious advances in medical science that will enable humans to live well beyond three score years and ten, unfortunately neither of us will be around to enjoy the experience. Of course if time travel is cracked before we peg out it is highly unlikely that we would be able to enjoy it because a return ticket would probably cost several years worth of our pensions.
Actually Derek, if you had ascertained exactly what I meant by the late 2000s, you would have been aware that I meant the period from 2000 to 2009. After all, when we refer to any decade of the last century, we don't say the 1900s unless we mean the period 1900 to 1909. Otherwise, we would say the 20th Century or the 21st Century.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Actually, Col, we can infer the correct usage for this century from that used in the last century, when the 1900s was both a decade from January 1 1900 to December 31 1909 and the century from January 1 1900 to December 31 1999. So in effect we are both correct.

abacus

Post by abacus »

One of the things about buying comics is not just the celebrating of those wonderful buys but the sad regrets of those bad buys.This week I bought some U.S comics all bagged and boarded and trying to avoid part works chose a number of comics based on the cover art.To me a number of them contained stories where artist and writer seem to live in their own world and unless you were on the same wavelength as them you might find the going difficult.For instance one comic cover had a normal gangster theme yet two pages in you have a strange plant like monster serving behind the bar and in the Sci Fi comics so many invented words and phrases and crazy creatures appearing from nowhere.Topping that did I avoid part works ? No I didn't :D I know the comics I like and I know the comics I don't like and the ones I don't like I count as bad buys and not part of my collection.

picked up this afternoon from Gt. Yarmouth market booth two comics which are OK
GHOST RIDER 1992 autumn special 50p
MARVEL MADHOUSE 1981 50P
Both U.K prints.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Buster Book 1983 (including what looked like early Nick Brennan art, but Nick confirmed it wasn't. Identified elsewhere as probably Russell Brookes)
Whizzer and Chips Annual 1979
Krazy Annual 1981

Not bad!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Couple of older titles which is unusual for me.

A Triumph from 1938 plus the free gift, and Bunty #1 also plus the free gift. All four items from different sellers.

abacus

Post by abacus »

There's an old feller that has a stall at HEMSBY thursday carboot each year selling old books , magazines and comics and is a great source for me for buying good items for my collection, disappointedly he wasn't there this year and so buying comic related items was limited.
A woman had a box of D.C.Thomson annuals and because they are not rare they did did not seem too exciting to me.
Picked out and bought the oldest one----- DANDY ANNUAL 1974--------------50p

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

The postman arrived this morning with more parcels than Santa! I must admit that I felt that childlike Christmas morning buzz when I opened my front door and saw him struggling to carry them all!

My purchases included:

Valiant: A complete Index by Steve Holland
The complete set of 26 Warrior with the special from 1982 which I've never read before. Really looking forward to going through this lot as I've heard so much about them.
12 issues of the 1985 Captain Britain as I foolishly sold my complete set a few years ago and I want the set again.
The Spidey paper mask free gift from Spiderman #1
Roy Rogers Trigger #1 (nn) - World Distributors 1950 ish I think
A Movie Classic #1 - Sir Walter Raleigh - World Distributors 1956
4 x Valiant Summer Specials for less than £18 for the lot as they were loaded under fiction books on Ebay :D
Laurel and Hardy Extra #1 - T&P 1968

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

The Warrior run is a great read!! Great buy!!

Probably better than the full set of Wow!! (barring two issues, missing #12 and #13) which I just bought, good number of issues to get bound before it joined up with Whoopee.

Totally unrelated to comics, I got a Jemima Puddle-Duck 50p from out of a vending machine at work yesterday, listed it on eBay and sold it the same day for £4.99!

That's going straight on comics!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Adam Eterno wrote: My purchases included:

I've still got my copy and use it regularly. However it's worth mentioning that Steve Holland is currently working on a new, improved version that will include far more information, much as his 'Lion King of Story Papers' superseded his earlier Lion Index. (Personally I'm still hoping for a definitive Tiger Index to join them!)

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote: My purchases included:

I've still got my copy and use it regularly. However it's worth mentioning that Steve Holland is currently working on a new, improved version that will include far more information, much as his 'Lion King of Story Papers' superseded his earlier Lion Index. (Personally I'm still hoping for a definitive Tiger Index to join them!)
Thanks for the heads up Phil, I'll keep my eye out for that.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:The Warrior run is a great read!! Great buy!!

Probably better than the full set of Wow!! (barring two issues, missing #12 and #13) which I just bought, good number of issues to get bound before it joined up with Whoopee.

Totally unrelated to comics, I got a Jemima Puddle-Duck 50p from out of a vending machine at work yesterday, listed it on eBay and sold it the same day for £4.99!

That's going straight on comics!
I think the Warrior comics will jump to the front of my reading queue!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Adam, I'm sorry to be late getting back re. 3Star Adventures. I asked round at the E/B Con last week, incl. a couple of folk connected with the comics dept. at Dundee. All to no avail, I'm afraid. Even McShane was caught out with the title.
About the Roy Rogers' Trigger. There were 14 issues, all Dell reprints, and not to be confused with Roy Rogers Comic, also published by Pembertons/WDL. To confuse matters, Roy Rogers Comic changed title to Roy Rogers and Trigger, for a bit in the middle of the run of 100 issues. I only found this out while scanning an issue that I'd bought a couple of weeks ago and couldn't figure out how and where to list it.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Back off holiday and at today's carboot picked up-----

OUR BOYS COWBOY ANNUAL--( world distributers)(50's?)------£1

Not comic strip but similar to boys' cinema in style.
Off the subject matter but for 3Op also got The Compleat Angler by Izaak Walton illustrated by Arthur Rackham
Last edited by abacus on 23 Apr 2017, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.