What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

koollectablz

Re: What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Post by koollectablz »

Aha! You def got those!! Nice buy! I was gonna go around the ton so that's a good buy. Look nice con too.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

A little while back I saw and flicked through some "Jackpot" comics in an Oxfam shop on Leigh (especially enjoyed "The Incredible Sulk" and "Angel's Proper Charlies").

But I was moving home at the time and didn't want to add to massive amount of stuff I'm taking and wasn't sure I'd have room for it all. SO I passed for now. Passed again during a second visit days before the move.

When I settled and went back for them, they'd all been sold. Moving home can be so distracting!

Did make a priority that my present vast comic collections have room with decent storage. Think I achieved it.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Occasionally stop at the wednesday town market stall where the seller of collectables has a couple of boxes containing some wonderful U.S. comics plus a number of fine annuals for sale and yet knowing full well they are not at prices I would be willing to pay.It's just a delight to see what comics and annuals are available.
Past up many items on holiday including a roll of CRISIS COMICS for a pound , SPACE 1999 ANNUAL £3. UK SPIDERMAN comics £1 each (because they contain to be continued stories) COMMANDO less than a pound each ( because I don't really collect pocket size comics).
Even if a comic or annual is cheap to buy unless I am impressed with the contents I tend to give them a miss.
Like most collectors the price I am willing to pay is the value of that comic or annual.

blaing

Post by blaing »

I had bidded on a bundle of issues of Whizzer and Chips (which included the final issue) and have decided to let it go (I cannot afford to pay too much for that issue. the other bidder did the old double bid (with a possibly overly high bid)

These days, I'm more of a "buy it now" man anyway, so the search for the 27/10/1990 issue will continue.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Just to give advance notice that I won't be buying Phils Beano #36 with its free gift which ends on 13/5 'cos it will go for one hell of a price !!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Hawkeye wrote:Just to give advance notice that I won't be buying Phils Beano #36 with its free gift which ends on 13/5 'cos it will go for one hell of a price !!
I just noticed that, great condition gift! Shame the comic itself isn't quite as good but great set nevertheless.

He has an extremely nice Nixon annual front cover original art piece too. If you ever wanted one, that's a peach.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Hawkeye wrote:Just to give advance notice that I won't be buying Phils Beano #36 with its free gift which ends on 13/5 'cos it will go for one hell of a price !!
Where is it? Which page is the advert on? I've just looked twice through the six pages of Phil's list and I can't see Beano 36 anywhere.

SID

Post by SID »

Phoenix wrote:
Where is it? Which page is the advert on? I've just looked twice through the six pages of Phil's list and I can't see Beano 36 anywhere.
Here it is, Phoenix.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beano-comic-3 ... Sw7GRZCZ9q
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks for the reply, Sid. I'll have another look at Phil's listing. OK, found it, thanks. First item on the first page!! I should perhaps get my eyes checked but I might as well wait for my annual eye test in July. :)

abacus

Post by abacus »

In Oxfam today they had
two bags of 4or 5 WHOOPEE! Comics at £1.99 per bag and a similar bag of WHIZZER AND CHIPS at 99p.
Did think of buying some of these but because I have a lot of BUSTER comics and a few WOW! comics of a similar ilk I decided not to .1980's comics do not relate to my childhood years so there is not the nostalgia element.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Whizzer and Chips, Toppers, Beezers, Busters and a copy of all Buzz, all €4 each. I was too busy buying other things....

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I made what I thought was a valiant effort but was well and truly beaten to this which including buyers costs and postage would have cost the winner almost £1100!

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 7000e6ba0b

abacus

Post by abacus »

Visited the carboot this lovely sunny morning but all I managed to buy was a book of Scribner's magazine 1899 for 50p
There were some Walking Dead and Batman graphic novels there but these
were too pricey for me ,

I guess ' no deal is better than a bad deal ' :D

Also noticed there were copies of what was called the Children's Newspaper for sale which were printed a few decades ago with an asking price that also didn't interest me enough.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Missed out on bidding on the issue of Huckleberry Hound that would have been on sale the week I was born in Australia. And another one has come up (this time, it was Teddy Bear) those issues were dated 19/12/1964.

I would have bidded on it, but circumstances meant I had to break into my holiday spending money for next year (so I'm almost skint. I have money put away for the Combat Colin book, though.)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I was partly tempted by this copy of issue 2 of Hotspur but in poor condition, at £45 plus postage fmade me realise that it was just that. Temptation. If the money was better, then who knows what will happen next time?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!