British comics in Greek magazines

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ramirez

Re: British comics in Greek magazines

Post by ramirez »

Thanks a lot for the details Phoenix. I didn 't know that he was based on an actual officer. It was a bit peculiar choice though, if only for the fact that he was depicted doing all the hard work and that clueless captain of his taking all the glory. Strange way to honour someone 's legacy. :D

Any assumptions regarding the artist?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ramirez wrote:I didn 't know that he was based on an actual officer.
I think we are at cross purposes here, ramirez. What I meant was that the humorous fictional character that you mentioned was based on the equally-fictional character Sergeant Ben Logan, known as 'Lionheart' by most of the fictional characters that he had dealings with during his many adventures in The Wizard, all of which were presented in text form, but none of which were humorous. I have never checked to find out whether there is a real place called Placer Bar or not, but I imagine that is as fictional as the character. As I don't have the expertise required to identify any artists, I will have to leave it to someone else to answer that question for you.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

ramirez wrote:Thanks a lot for the details Phoenix. I didn 't know that he was based on an actual officer. It was a bit peculiar choice though, if only for the fact that he was depicted doing all the hard work and that clueless captain of his taking all the glory. Strange way to honour someone 's legacy. :D

Any assumptions regarding the artist?
Any chance of a scan Ramirez?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Is the artist Doug Maxted?

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Thank you Phoenix, I assumed that the text stories of Logan were based on an actual person, like Wild Bill Hickock stories. No such thing was mentioned by you of course but what can I say, I 've got a wild imagination. :lol:

Oh, and here 's a two-pager from the strip.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ramirez wrote:Oh, and here 's a two-pager from the strip
Well, thank you for that, ramirez. Of course the only problem with it for me is that I can't understand a word of it. When I was younger we had an English expression that covered just such a situation. It was ''That's all Greek to me!'', although I suspect it was referring to Classical Greek, which was studied along with Latin at the school I attended by those who opted to go into Sixth Classics. I went on to study Modern Languages at university, Spanish, French, and Portuguese to be precise, not that I ever had anything against Latin of course, which I passed at 'O' level, but as you were only allowed to take three subjects at 'A' level I opted to add English Literature to my Spanish and French. I suppose I'll have to extract the relevant issues of the pictorial version of The Wizard from the obscurity of one of my bedroom cupboards if I am to read Lawman Logan from beginning to end, but as I have a number of other projects on the go, including deciding what to take with me when I decamp permanently to Cornwall, I probably won't bother. Talking of Cornwall, my son Russell and his children Lois and Alex turned up yesterday, stayed the night, and today we took them to the fairground in Southport. I paid for all their rides, the sun was cracking the flags, and they had a great time. Curiously the Lakeside Miniature Railway was closed so as a consequence we didn't get to the pizza restaurant that I went to a few weeks ago with Andrew, Aurora and Kelsey. In the event we had to slum it at a fish and chip shop.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

ramirez wrote:Thank you Phoenix, I assumed that the text stories of Logan were based on an actual person, like Wild Bill Hickock stories. No such thing was mentioned by you of course but what can I say, I 've got a wild imagination. :lol:

Oh, and here 's a two-pager from the strip.
From the two pager just posted by ramirez, I would say that Chris has hit the nail on the head with his offering of Doug Maxted. I was expecting artwork similar to that of Dim Dan: The Delivery Man which featured in Hotspur. I don't suppose anyone knows who the artist was for that?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

chrisb wrote:Is the artist Doug Maxted?
Certainly looks like it to me.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

A big thank you to everyone for the participation. Re. Dim Dan, I 've read there was a Dim Dan strip in "Giggle" drawn by Reg Parlett, but it must 've been just synonymous with the Hotspur strip of course.

The next strip could also come from Scorcher but I wasn 't able to find its original title. In greek they named it Joe Bolt and it 's about a former player by that name, who due to an injury became a sports reporter instead. I don 't know if the strip lasted enough to be remembered, but there 's no harm in asking, right?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ramirez wrote:there 's no harm in asking, right?
Right! Where else would you go, ramirez, to find the kind of answers to the kind of questions you are asking? We have experts across all spectra here so I think you can be optimistic.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

A long has passed since my last inquiry, so it 's time for more. The first story is called "Digger and the cricket" with art that reminded me of Mike Western (the first pages at least, since there seems to be another artist later on). Digger Deen (or is it Dean?) comes from Australia to claim his inheritance but must form a cricket team to do so.

The other one is loosely called "Deadly transit" and is a cloak & dagger style of story, where the main character "Tiger" Kelly along with his friend Mich gets involved in a complicated espionage scheme. Any info about the original titles, artists & magazines would be appreciated...

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

The first one is from late sixties Tiger and is called "The Slogger from Down Under" with art by David Sque.
The other one I'm afraid I don't know, though there is something familiar about it. Hopefully someone here can identify it.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Thanks again Chris. On an unrelated note, these are two pages from an episode of "Mean arena" drawn by Jim Eldridge for 2000AD. Do you think he could be the artist of "Mike 's mini-men" for Roy of the Rovers, since his style is extremely similar to the artist of that strip?

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

I would say they are one and the same, Ramirez.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think 'Deadly Transit' originally appeared in Eagle during 1961/2 as a full colour strip called 'Danger Unlimited' which was written by Steve Alen and drawn by Martin Aitchison.