New Dan Dare comic this October

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

New Dan Dare comic this October

Post by Lew Stringer »

Although new Dan Dare strips have been running in Spaceship Away for years, the character will soon be appearing in his own comic from Titan Comics. More info and preview pages/cover here:
http://www.cbr.com/dan-dare-revival-peter-milligan/

big bad bri

Re: New Dan Dare comic this October

Post by big bad bri »

Bloody hell has it really been 10 years since the virgin mini series where has the time gone :( still need to get iss 7.
The retro cover looks great though.

SID

Post by SID »

I bought the collected Virgin hardcover but time does fly.

And no mention of Dan's continuing adventures in Spaceship Away.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote:I bought the collected Virgin hardcover but time does fly.

And no mention of Dan's continuing adventures in Spaceship Away.
That's why I mentioned it above, and on my own news item about it on my blog. It's annoying that Spaceship Away is overlooked whenever Dan Dare is mentioned in such reports. New stories of the classic Dan Dare have been appearing for the last 14 years but you wouldn't know it from some comics news sites.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

big bad bri wrote:Bloody hell has it really been 10 years since the virgin mini series where has the time gone :( still need to get iss 7.
The retro cover looks great though.
Yes, that is quite amazing isn't it?
Lew Stringer wrote:New stories of the classic Dan Dare have been appearing for the last 14 years but you wouldn't know it from some comics news sites.
You would also not know that Dan Dare was the brainchild of the Rev Marcus Morris and Frank Hampson from that article.

I find some of the CBR articles laughable in that they will be nit-pickingly exact on some obscure Marvel story that was printed six years ago but will not fact check on anything that is outside the Marvel/DC universes. And that has to be the most obscure acknowledgment of Revolver that I have seen in the last 27 years!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

Well just received the first issue of Titan's Dan Dare.

I like it though it looks more like the Virgin version rather the 1950 original.

Two gripes though:

(1) To me, the Mekon doesn't look the Mekon but more a like a troll or ogre.

(2) In this issue Digby gets married. But isn't he already married with kids??? I suppose his first wife could have got fed up with him always being away and divorced him?

On the positive side, it's Dan Dare and the story looks good.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).