Johnny the Greek

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Nikos Nikolaidis

Johnny the Greek

Post by Nikos Nikolaidis »

Hi! :D :)
I am a Greek keen collector of British football comics data & comic writer.
I would need some help, if possible, about a comic series titled "Johnny the Greek" (of course this was the Greek title in a Greek magazine named "Filathlos") published in Greece during '70s. Artwork was -probably- done by Barrie Mitchell or Antony Harding and the team's name was Everpool. Does any of you know something about this? Could it be "Bobby of the Blues"???
Thanks in advance,
All the best,
Nikos Nikolaidis
http://athlometro.blogspot.com

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Johnny the Greek

Post by Phoenix »

Nikos Nikolaidis wrote:I would need some help, if possible, about a comic series titled "Johnny the Greek" (of course this was the Greek title in a Greek magazine named "Filathlos") published in Greece during '70s. Artwork was -probably- done by Barrie Mitchell or Antony Harding and the team's name was Everpool. Does any of you know something about this? Could it be "Bobby of the Blues"?
Bobby Of The Blues ran in Scorcher and Score. I only have a small collection of this title, Nikos, but I can state that Bobby Booth is the star striker of Everpool City. The serial was already running in the issue for 10 July 1971 and is also in the one for 24 August 1974. I have no idea whether that was a continuous run or not, and I have no way of finding out. Hopefully there will be other collectors on the forum who will be able to put more meat on this bone. Other apparently long-running serials included Billy's Boots, Lags Eleven, Jack Of United, Jimmy Of City, and Nipper.

Nikos Nikolaidis

Thanks a lot dear Phoenix, you've been very helpful!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

Bobby of the Blues appeared in the first issue of Scorcher in January 1970.

Nikos Nikolaidis

Thank you so much, too!!! Cheers :D :D :D