2018 Annuals

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: 2018 Annuals

Post by Phoenix »

Well it's comforting to see that Giles is still putting together collections of his work, even if it is just for Christmas. For future reference I'd be very interested to know how he keeps managing it, given that he died in 1995.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

the cover looks nice for A-Z and wow 80 years of Dandy annuals!!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Weird that the Classic Beano/Dandy one uses the new Beano logo, as the previous ones were using the 1971 version of the logo, not the more recent version with the tight kerning.

SID

Post by SID »

Digifiend wrote:Weird that the Classic Beano/Dandy one uses the new Beano logo, as the previous ones were using the 1971 version of the logo, not the more recent version with the tight kerning.
Was just about to say something similar before I saw your post, Digi. ;) I always got the distinct impression that DCT was aiming at past readers hence the vintage logos. Maybe they want to make the current Beano logo the definitive one - past, present & future?

Anyway, I wonder if next year's Beano calendar will sport the new logo as well since all its artwork is usually from years past?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Weird that the Classic Beano/Dandy one uses the new Beano logo, as the previous ones were using the 1971 version of the logo, not the more recent version with the tight kerning.
It's all about branding these days, so it's probably better to have a consistent logo on everything.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Recieved the A-Z of laughs classic Beano and Dandy book and its not too bad even The Amazing Mr X is included and Peanut is still missing from the 1940s Beano masthead though

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Ugh, why can't they just use the same disclaimer from the History of the Beano book? That yes, it would be considered racist nowadays, but that they're presenting the material as originally published. It's not like they're hiding the fact that these Big Eggo covers were published in the 1940s, is it?

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Peanut was included in the 2014 The Comics That Won The War classic volume that had a disclaimer saying that some strips where classed as unsuitable for today etc even the A-Z of laughs has a similar disclaimer so I dont see why Peanut is missing from the beano title tbh as it gives fair warning

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Glad to see this year's Beano Annual has a much more interesting cover than last years.
It does not have any of that stock art feel to it at all, which is good to see.

I am surprised the cover has no mention of the comic's 80th anniversary on it. They often do mention these on the covers, even if it's published a year before the anniversary. Doubtless it's mentioned on the back cover.
dandy mad wrote:Peanut was included in the 2014 The Comics That Won The War classic volume that had a disclaimer saying that some strips where classed as unsuitable for today etc even the A-Z of laughs has a similar disclaimer so I dont see why Peanut is missing from the beano title tbh as it gives fair warning
It's a shame but they scared of any potential bad press.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Tin Can Tommy wrote: It's a shame but they scared of any potential bad press.
Upsetting the retail giants is a big concern these days. Understandably, no one wants their product pulled from the shelves because of parents complaining. Therefore the best solution is to compromise; a nice book reprinting classic stories with an edit or two is better than no book at all.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Tin Can Tommy wrote: It's a shame but they scared of any potential bad press.
Upsetting the retail giants is a big concern these days. Understandably, no one wants their product pulled from the shelves because of parents complaining. Therefore the best solution is to compromise; a nice book reprinting classic stories with an edit or two is better than no book at all.
The upsetting of retailers has been a reality of commerce since 1976. Action anyone?

I have touched lightly on it within my article on the two Commando annuals that I am doing for David Hathaway-Jones Fanscene fanzine that is being produced to celebrate 50 years of fanzines within the UK.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:Glad to see this year's Beano Annual has a much more interesting cover than last years.
It does not have any of that stock art feel to it at all, which is good to see.

I am surprised the cover has no mention of the comic's 80th anniversary on it. They often do mention these on the covers, even if it's published a year before the anniversary. Doubtless it's mentioned on the back cover.
Considering Dandy's mentions the 80th anniversary, Beano's will next year instead - that one would be the 80th annual if you include the Magic-Beano books.

MadGaz

Post by MadGaz »

Picked up Broons/Oor Wullie Through the Ages and the Broons annual at the weekend.

There's several strips in the Broons annual that are clearly reprints from the 80s, with altered dialogue (the one that ends with Paw listening to the fitba' on the radio is the most obvious).

SID

Post by SID »

SID wrote:I wonder if next year's Beano calendar will sport the new logo as well since all its artwork is usually from years past?
The answer is 'yes'.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).