Tommy's Troubles

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

Re: Tommy's Troubles

Post by paw broon »

Had a look at your blog, Nikos. I can't read Greek but it is noticeable the number of Bonelli titles you show and chat about. Mind you, the giveaway is calling it "blekmagazine". There are also some well known French characters in there. I've been a fan of Mr. No for a long time and bought the original Italian comics when on holiday. Well done.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's another series that Nikos is trying to track down. The title translates as 'The Rowdy with Number 6'.
Attachments
number6.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:The title translates as 'The Rowdy with Number 6'
I'm pretty sure that this will be the text serial The Fiery Man At Number 6, which appeared in The Rover in 1972. Fuller identification details later (i.e. tomorrow morning) if required. The footballer in question was called Joe Greer. OK, before I go to bed then, according to my notes the picture version of The Fiery Man At Number 6 was in The Wizard in 1971 (starting in 56), and The Victor in 1978 (starting in 905).

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Brilliant! :) Now, does anybody recognize the artist?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:The Fiery Man At Number 6, which appeared in The Rover in 1972.
O.K. After ten hours much-needed sleep I can now see clearly that the text story about Joe Greer had to have appeared in The Rover before any of its appearances in the picture papers. So after more diligent checking I can now report that The Fiery Man At Number 6 was in The Rover between April 27 1968 and July 20 1968. No issue numbers were being used at this time, and hadn't been since the amalgamation of Adventure and The Rover on December 24th 1960. Joe Greer was playing left half for Langdale Rovers but was finding it difficult to respect the football club's rules.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's Nikos' scan of the Greek version of 'Mike's Mini Men'. The original British strip made its debut in the first issue of Roy of the Rovers (25th Sep 1976) and thanks to peace355 on another thread we now know that Jim Eldridge drew most (but not all) episodes.
Attachments
mikemm.jpg
Last edited by philcom55 on 02 Aug 2017, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And here's the Greek version of 'Smith and Son' which also made its British debut in the first issue of Roy of the Rovers. According to Steve Holland the artist was Angelo Todaro.
Attachments
mike.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:...And here's the Greek version of 'Smith and Son
Assuming that the Greek title is saying Smith And Son, how is it that the initial letter of 'Smith' is exactly the same as the last letter of 'Son'?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
philcom55 wrote:...And here's the Greek version of 'Smith and Son
Assuming that the Greek title is saying Smith And Son, how is it that the initial letter of 'Smith' is exactly the same as the last letter of 'Son'?
Because it's in Greek

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:Because it's in Greek
Yes, I did actually spot that quite quickly, Adam, but I must confess that I had been hoping for a sensible answer that would draw a clear distinction between two apparently identical letters in Greek that stand for two quite different letters in English. I still am.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
Yes, I did actually spot that quite quickly, Adam, but I must confess that I had been hoping for a sensible answer that would draw a clear distinction between two apparently identical letters in Greek that stand for two quite different letters in English. I still am.
Perhaps because it's not a literal translation?

Google Translate has 'Smith and Son' as 'Smith και ο Υιός' so the title must be different.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

That 's right. 'Smith" was not translated because it 's a last name, while "son" was translated...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:Perhaps because it's not a literal translation? Google Translate has 'Smith and Son' as 'Smith και ο Υιός' so the title must be different.
That makes sense.
ramirez wrote:That 's right. 'Smith" was not translated because it 's a last name, while "son" was translated.
Unfortunately that doesn't.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:Perhaps because it's not a literal translation? Google Translate has 'Smith and Son' as 'Smith και ο Υιός' so the title must be different.
That makes sense.
ramirez wrote:That 's right. 'Smith" was not translated because it 's a last name, while "son" was translated.
Unfortunately that doesn't.
Makes sense to me, Derek. As 'Smith' is an English name, it would have presumably been changed to a Greek name for the overseas reprint. They couldn't translate 'Smith' any more than they could translate 'Derek' so it'd have to be changed.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
I'm sorry Derek, I was in a hurry and trying to help you. My mistake. 'Son' in Greek or any other language, does not necessarily have the letter 's' in it which is the same as most other words and most other languages hence my shortened explanation that it was written in Greek......i.e. a completely different language so you can't use English language assumptions ("that stand for two quite different letters in English") with spellings or grammar etc. For example, son in Spanish is Hijo.

Hopefully you'll understand this explanation and find it more "sensible".

PS, I sent the picture to a Greek friend and asked her the title and she said "Smith and Son" so the name is translated exactly.