Valuation

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Valuation

Post by abacus »

Walking around a carboot sale a few weeks ago I spotted a stall with a 1946 Dandy annual which immediately attracted my attention.
(See image)

Nearing the stall I noticed the asking price was £75.
Because of it's rarity that may have been a fair price.
Would I have liked it in my collection?--yes and I had more than enough money on me to pay for it but my mindset doesn't work like that it had come up against a brickwall and I moved on without buying.
£8-£10 would have tempted me but it was never ever going for that, one that got away then. :)

Into The Abyss

Re: Valuation

Post by Into The Abyss »

I don't want to depress you. But do you know how rare it is to find this annual? If it was complete, say fine condition , can fetch over £3000. 😲
Well, hello there! :wave:

abacus

Post by abacus »

Into The Abyss wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 16:52
I don't want to depress you. But do you know how rare it is to find this annual? If it was complete, say fine condition , can fetch over £3000. 😲
The spine of the book was missing but otherwise it looked OK.
A numbèr of the older Beano/Dandy books can be read online and being aware of the contents dulls the inspiration to buy.
If you just buy it for rarity value yes on ebay there is a profit to be made .
I noticed in the paper that the first Batman comic went on sale for a great amount.I bought a replica copy of that comic that was produced in 2000 to celebrate the mellennium from a charity shop a couple of years ago for a £1 that's where I'm at when it comes to spending
Last edited by abacus on 15 Jun 2021, 04:53, edited 4 times in total.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Yeah, the one viewed was in immaculate condition, and obviously this was reflected in the £3000 price. I still think the one you saw even with the spine issue mentioned was worth a punt. As you said, there's always someone out there willing to pay a handsome price even with the damage just to add it to their collection. And I suppose if it's easier to view the same online for nothing where before the only avenue was physically purchasing their only option they'll do it.

Talking US comics. Love watching YouTube videos of spectacular finds. Remember seeing one video showing Golden Age comic finds. I can recall one being found in the lining of a wall by some house renovators in the States, and even with moisture damage and half a back page missing was still worth hundreds of thousands. Amazing to think. 😎
Well, hello there! :wave: