What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by abacus »

I was holidaying in the north east and recalled how difficult it had been finding any comic related material in the past few weeks. Disguised as the MASKED SHOPPER it was time to spring into action.
Immeďiate success came with the purchase of the Titan book version of BATTLE annual 2014 costing 50p from a store in Scarborough.

Sadly this was the only purchase made.
There was a market stall called Yorkshire comics which had some great stuff but even through my steamed up glasses I could see the asking prices were not something I wanted to pay.
Until the next time then when the MASKED SHOPPER ventures forth.

SID

Post by SID »

SID wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 19:39
Bought a near complete year of Hotspurs (1980) which helps fill in my mini collection.
Recently realised that I had most of them already. :headbash:

Nevermind, the majority of the newer set are in a better condition so have swapped them out.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

SID wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 18:42
SID wrote:
Bought a near complete year of Hotspurs (1980) which helps fill in my mini collection.

Nevermind, the majority of the newer set are in a better condition so have swapped them out.
Sods law. I've done that many times. Once bought a batch of Dandy & Beano comics on the then Yellow Free Ads paper in the 1990s hoping to complete a run only to be left disappointed when the seller was a tad adrift with the truth once I got home. Should have went through them first. My mistake. Most were used as a colouring book and some read outside with the water damage evident. Worse thing was. I travelled miles too. Crap comics, out of pocket. Bad combo. :roll:
Well, hello there! :wave:

abacus

Post by abacus »

Into The Abyss wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 20:16
SID wrote:
SID wrote:

Sods law. I've done that many times. Once bought a batch of Dandy & Beano comics on the then Yellow Free Ads paper in the 1990s hoping to complete a run only to be left disappointed when the seller was a tad adrift with the truth once I got home. Should have went through them first. My mistake. Most were used as a colouring book and some read outside with the water damage evident. Worse thing was. I travelled miles too. Crap comics, out of pocket. Bad combo. :roll:
Yeah! Happens to us all.I had a batch of comics from Ebay with the adverts cut out and bought annuals that had pages missing.
Older annuals often have pages coloured in and where coloured pencils are used the pages are usually thick enough for me to get to work with the eraser,I fear the dreaded felt tips though.
When buying you have to make choices and at carboots I often wish I couĺd have changed what I bought for the ones I didn't buy.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

abacus wrote:
09 Jul 2021, 07:16
Into The Abyss wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 20:16
SID wrote:

Yeah! Happens to us all.I had a batch of comics from Ebay with the adverts cut out and bought annuals that had pages missing.
Older annuals often have pages coloured in and where coloured pencils are used the pages are usually thick enough for me to get to work with the eraser,I fear the dreaded felt tips though.
When buying you have to make choices and at carboots I often wish I couĺd have changed what I bought for the ones I didn't buy.
It's spur of the moment thing, I find. Luck of the draw. Got to learn for your mistakes. Most times you win, sometime you lose.

You mentioned car bootsales. love going myself. I find if you've loads of people hovering over your shoulder, panic sets in, and you buy without properly checking. Human nature, I suppose.

I also hate it when you have a limited amount of money. See something on the first stall. Buy it. Then around the corner come across a box of 1960s Commando comics and you literally have pennies left blowing most of your cash early. Happened to me once. Haunted me ever since knowing how much issues 1 to 10 go for. As said, sods law. 😭

abacus

Post by abacus »

Yes, when you have the money you can't find anything and when you're short of cash there's loads to buy.

Cycled to a distant charity shop this morning to look through their comic boxes.

Picked up a comic called EGYPT (dc vertigo) and noticed it ran for 7 issues and that all 7 issues were in the box so I bought them all and though it might turn out to be a rubbish story I really liked the artwork.
Added three more Sleeze Brothers comics to my collection and another War Story.
Finally picked up STARFIRE (dc) and one called PARSIFAL (star reach productions) a knight tale.

£13 pound lighter but an enjoyable morning.

old paw broon

Post by old paw broon »

Apologies in advance for going on about an American comic. Rob Liefeld has produced what can only be described as a travesty of a comic with Archie's revival of the classic superhero, The Shield. I've never liked Liefeld's stuff and he hasn't improved imo. A chancer way back and still a chancer. I bought a digital copy as it has raised comment on a couple of comic sites. As a fan of The Shield and the other MLJ/Archie heroes, I had to see this. No matter that The Shield, the original - and there are various different Shields - has been drawn by Irv Novick when the Shield was the first patriotic American superhero, and later the Lancelot Strong version drawn by Jack Kirby and in issue 2 by George Tuska, Liefeld obviously felt he had something to add. But it's awful. He has brought back other MLJ heroes incl The Fox, at one time drawn by Alex Toth.
Not quite money down the drain as it let me have the legitimate excuse for a good old rant. Anyone else stumbled on this tat?

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

abacus wrote:
10 Jul 2021, 11:22
Yes, when you have the money you can't find anything and when you're short of cash there's loads to buy.

Cycled to a distant charity shop this morning to look through their comic boxes.

Picked up a comic called EGYPT (dc vertigo) and noticed it ran for 7 issues and that all 7 issues were in the box so I bought them all and though it might turn out to be a rubbish story I really liked the artwork.
Added three more Sleeze Brothers comics to my collection and another War Story.
Finally picked up STARFIRE (dc) and one called PARSIFAL (star reach productions) a knight tale.

£13 pound lighter but an enjoyable morning.
Hey, well done on those EGYPT and other comics bought abacus! Nice to pick up a bargain now and then. 😎

To be honest I've never gone to charity shops. It's mostly been Car bootsales, newspaper ads and hours trawling eBay.

I know some rarities can be found, especially during pre-internet days. Bit more difficult nowadays with sellers being more aware what they've got. Heard and read many stories about amazing finds in the past. I can imagine all the 1940s & 50s Dandy & Beano comics on sale literally for pennies that were bought. Damn!! 😒

Anyway, on a brighter note. Always on the hunt me for comics, as you know. And if not comics, it's comic art, basically anything that catches my eye. I'm like a magpie with an overdraft.

Over the years obtained TV/film props & scripts. Got about 10 or 11 series used Red Dwarf scripts. A cast signed series director chair backing, likely Doug Naylor's, and two series 8 signed audience tickets besides the original Smegazine art uploaded to the forum etc... Not sure if I've mention this in previous posts? Probably have knowing me. No wonder I'm always broke.Can't remember what I've bought or spent, lol. 😂

BOT: Got my beady eyes on some early Dandy comics. Watch this space. 😉

abacus

Post by abacus »

When trying tò collect comic series one of the sites I use for information which shows the comic covers is

https://www.comics.org/

I mention it to those who have not yet checked it out, I have used it for years.
Another site to read full comics which has been going for a few years and to be honest I'm not sure whether it is Going To stay but at the bottom of the page I think they have copyright covered.

https://readcomiconline.li/

I use this site to check out comics I've missed , not many UK but below is the link to beano annuals from their search bar.

https://readcomiconline.li/Com ... al

Lots of Misty comics as well.

Following Old Paw Broon 's rant about Rob Liefeld tried finding work by this artist on this site only found Capt America.
Not impressed with the strange facial charaçters but then again I prefer the original comic artists.
He also mentions Jack Kirby who Is highly rated but to some a bit of a marmite comic artist.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Went to Deptford flea market on Saturday and spotted a suitcase filled with 1980s comics, mostly the Beano, but I found a few other bits:

Nutty 2,4,5,8,10,12,14,15,17, 19-25, 28,30,31,33,34,36,43
Beano 2005, 2058 Xmas issues
Topper 1456 Xmas issue
Beano comic library 54,55,56,59,68,72,73,74,75
Dandy comic library 24
TV Comic 1401,1461
Whizzer and Chips 25.8.1984
Jackpot 15.9.1979
Whoopee Summer Special 1980,1984
Pink Panther Holiday Special 1977
Beano Summer Special 1979,1980,1983,1984
Beezer Summer Special 1978,1979
Topper Summer Special 1984

£15.00 the lot.
I bought the Nutty's mainly to index onto Grand Comics Database as not a single issue has been indexed. I've just indexed #2 plus the Pink Panther special which is all American reprints.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Missed out on the early Dandy comics sadly, but did manage to get myself a very nice Beano Comic No 213 from August 28th 1943. 😎

---------------------

Update: Just had delivery today, 26th July, my Beano comic - No 213 from August 28th 1943. :)

Last edited by Into The Abyss on 26 Jul 2021, 21:58, edited 4 times in total.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

stevezodiac wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 16:06
Went to Deptford flea market on Saturday and spotted a suitcase filled with 1980s comics, mostly the Beano, but I found a few other bits:

Nutty 2,4,5,8,10,12,14,15,17, 19-25, 28,30,31,33,34,36,43
Beano 2005, 2058 Xmas issues
Topper 1456 Xmas issue
Beano comic library 54,55,56,59,68,72,73,74,75
Dandy comic library 24
TV Comic 1401,1461
Whizzer and Chips 25.8.1984
Jackpot 15.9.1979
Whoopee Summer Special 1980,1984
Pink Panther Holiday Special 1977
Beano Summer Special 1979,1980,1983,1984
Beezer Summer Special 1978,1979
Topper Summer Special 1984

£15.00 the lot.
I bought the Nutty's mainly to index onto Grand Comics Database as not a single issue has been indexed. I've just indexed #2 plus the Pink Panther special which is all American reprints.
Got some great bargains there stevezodiac for £15. In particular love the Nutty Comics you got. Quite a few too, I see. Used to myself watch the classic Bananaman cartoon as a kid in the early eighties, of course voiced by actors Graeme Garden, Bill Oddie and Tim Brooke Taylor of the Goodies , a favourite series of mine too growing up. Well done!
😀

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

Just ordered Trigan empire vol 3 so thats a couple of hours of reading in my man cave next week

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

just reading that at the moment
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

The four latest commando comics, first I have got for many months as I have to go to one of the big towns to get them as no one sells them local anymore