What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Captain underpants

Re: What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Post by Captain underpants »

Was at a bootsale today saw some pocket library’s in terrible condition £3 each nothing special so passed them by. These were the only pocket library’s I have seen for sale this year in any bootsale or charity shop, this year has been very poor for comics generally, but I’m going to Nerd base in battlesbridge tomorrow as it has just opened a new large comic dept So I will have a look around to see what there to spend my pension on.🙂

blaing

Post by blaing »

I have been after the 20th anniversary issue of the Dandy. It was on eBay recently (as part of a bundle)

Unfortunately I couldn't bid on it because of what I DID win today. (See the other thread for what I did win).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Last week's Beano. Just moved house, and the only shop I've found in walking distance that sells it (a One Stop) still had the previous week's (still did on Wednesday too, when another new issue was due out). I have bought the current one, but that's because I happened to need to go into town. :(

blaing

Post by blaing »

It's rare for me to post in this thread, but I missed out on getting the final Buster on eBay today

I didn't have enough money to make a huge bid. It eventually sold for £101.(I had a feeling it would sell for at least three digit figures.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

I was hoping to buy the second ever snowcapped Christmas issue of the Dandy comic from 1938. We agreed a price, the seller said they'd put it in as buy it now a.s.a.p , and when they did someone else bought the comic. Oh bugger! 😭
Well, hello there! :wave:

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I saw on ebay a complete privately printed collection of Ken Reid's Jonah and Jinx strips in the Beano. It was on sale for a few hundred pounds and got no bids. I'd love a more official DC Thomson release of this, but not at that price.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Was hoping to secure a Beano no.42 from 1939 but it went a little to steep for my liking. Can't win them all. :(

abacus

Post by abacus »

Visited my first car boot sale of the year.
Suprisingly the field where it was held was becoming fairly muddy early in the morning.

The only thing I really liked was a 1989 EWOKS annual for which the stall holder wanted £5 saying that it was a rare annual and she had seen similar one's selling for £26.

I guess I wasn't tempted to buy I was thinking along the lines of £2 for it , therefore the only yield I finished up with from that car boot was 2 packs of socks (3 pairs each) for £2. (I did have more than £2 in my wallet by the way). :)

One of the charity shops I visit had a box of Battle comics 3 for a £1 which I wasn't that interested in , to which they have added a box of 1973'4 VICTOR comics at £1 each , now if those had been 3 for a £1 I would have bought some.

l will keep searching because I know one day soon I will walk into a charity shop that has those surprise collectable bargains.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Found it difficult finding comics and annuals I like over the past few months although concentrating on older comics makes it more of a challenge.On holiday a couple of weeks ago I walked into a games and comic shop and out of desperation bought 3 Free Comic book Day Comics at 50p each so at least they made a profit.

However that fantastic comic haul I'm looking for can't be far away ,

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Missed out on a Christmas Dandy comic from 1951 in FN cond. ☹️

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Went to the ephemera fair today for the first time in a few months. One dealer had a huge pile of late 40s Radio Funs, he said there were 300, for £1 each. A couple of years ago I would have bought the lot but as I'm trying to sell off my collection I passed them up. I saw Robert Opie though and gave him a couple of items for his museum of brands.

abacus

Post by abacus »

stevezodiac wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 14:41
Went to the ephemera fair today for the first time in a few months. One dealer had a huge pile of late 40s Radio Funs, he said there were 300, for £1 each. A couple of years ago I would have bought the lot but as I'm trying to sell off my collection I passed them up. I saw Robert Opie though and gave him a couple of items for his museum of brands.
Occasionally see those large Robert Opie scrapbooks for sale in charity shops or at car boot sales and as a budget collector will buy them if the price is right.
They are amazing to look through as a reminder of sale items of the past.

Also picked up a number of Robert Opie fridge magnets.

The warning here is that when you put that first magnet on the fridge you are hooked to placing more.

These are the Robert Opie scapbooks I've collected so far.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Since before christmas I have limited myself to buying older comics and annuals from charity shops without much luck.
Annuals I have seen have not really floated my boat and the only comics have been 2000AD which I am not really interested in.
today was interesting.

From that famous play OMELETTE by Will Shakespeare

jim244

Post by jim244 »

abacus wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 22:08
Since before christmas I have limited myself to buying older comics and annuals from charity shops without much luck.
Annuals I have seen have not really floated my boat and the only comics have been 2000AD which I am not really interested in.
today was interesting.

From that famous play OMELETTE by Will Shakespeare
Is it nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune? (Bill Shakespeare-Quiche)
Personally,I would have bought it.You may never see another again.
These items are getting rarer.
For example:In 2008 I purchased Dr who 1971 pink annual from Notting Hill Comic Exchange place.
Reasonable condition,not brilliant but every page there,for £4.
Nowadays good luck with finding this for under £200.
So,as rule of thumb,I believe that if under a fiver,take a gamble.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

This is something I read on one of the Beano collecting facebook groups and I'm not sure how well this image is gonna look on here.
But some Beano comic libraries sold for loads on eBay recently.
I'm not the buyer, I dont properly collect them.
But over £300 for the last 18 issues...