What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Tin Can Tommy

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Just started on the 2022 classic beano and Dandy annual. It seems to be made up almost entirely of reprints from annuals. Which would be good if I didn't already have most of them :D

My guess is that this was because of the pandemic and most of the annuals have already been digitally archived so they could compile it whilst working from home.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

Picked up yesterday a very nice copy of Super DC issue 4 comic which will replace my worn copy

abacus

Post by abacus »

After months of wandering in and out of charity shops I have finally found some collectable comic stuff.

The annuals cost 75p each from one charity shop and the Look In comic £1from another charity shop.
Now the search continues for those other pesky comics.

SID

Post by SID »

abacus wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 13:53
After months of wandering in and out of charity shops I have finally found some collectable comic stuff.

The annuals cost 75p each from one charity shop and the Look In comic £1from another charity shop.
Now the search continues for those other pesky comics.
Good buys, abacus. :up:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

abacus

Post by abacus »

Yes ,goodbye Sid :)

Thanks for the comment , as you can see I am searching for older comics and these are not easy to find .One of the charity shops I visit as half a dozen Boy's Own annuals which are around the 1930's I think.
I have an earlier one of these non comic strip books in my collection and would have been interested in the shop one's had they not been priced at £10 each.
The books look good but I wouldn't pay that much for books I would flick through and never get around to reading.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Got myself a nice Beano comic #365 from 1949. Pic to follow shortly. 🙂

Update 01/02/2022: Just had delivery. Nice condition too. 8)

Last edited by Into The Abyss on 01 Feb 2022, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Well, hello there! :wave:

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I bought 4 old issues of Buddy for sale at a 2nd hand shop for a pound.
I've never seen a copy of it before "in the wild" but its an interesting comic. Jonah on the back page was the main reason I bought it. But its interesting seeing how its full of old Beano Adventure characters as well as assume other old DC Thomson characters who I'm not that familiar with.
They also have profiles on famous celebrities of the day. One of the issues i've got has one on Jimmy Saville.....

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Hey, well done TCT! Used to have the Buddy comic on order at my local news agent along with the Beano & Dandy in the early eighties. It had some really cool strips too. The stories, Deep-Sea Danny Iron Fish and Jonah The Biggest Jinx Of The Seven Seas were epic. And what sticks in my mind was the great free gifts like the Super Zoomer balloon and a Water Pop Pistol. 😎
Last edited by Into The Abyss on 29 Jan 2022, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

Picked up today the first two TV21 annuals in very nice condition no marks , scribble and super clean £1 the pair 👍

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Captain underpants wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 21:52
Picked up today the first two TV21 annuals in very nice condition no marks , scribble and super clean £1 the pair 👍

Great finds CU. Nice to obtain annuals that are in tiptop condition and come without any major blemishes such as drawing, spine issues or loose pages. :)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My parents bought me those for Christmas when they were published, I still have them. My dad died in 1972 so they have sentimental value. I also have a toy Winchester rifle he bought me from Deptford High Street in the late sixties. I picked it out in the shop window and remember it was £2.10.6d.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

stevezodiac wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 17:13
My parents bought me those for Christmas.....
I have a similar item that's sentimental to me to stevezodiac. My Dad died in 2005 and we loved to go boat fishing, especially beach fishing off Llangenith in the Gower peninsular.

In 1982 he won a major flounder fishing competition beating 1,500 people collecting a cash prize of £1,250. We had a great Christmas that year as my father lost his job and was worried we'd have no presents being a family with four expectant children. Anyway, his name appeared in well known fishing magazine of the day and I treasure it.

blaing

Post by blaing »

A busy few weeks.

I have bought a few reference books (the Fun Factory of Farringdon Street and Comic Papers of the Platinum Age) as well as picking up the Best of Whizzer and Chips annual, an issue of Wonderland from 1964 and an upgrade of Whoopee! No. 14

Next week, I intend picking up Iain McLaughlin's book on the History of the Beano and Jamie Smart 's latest Bunny Vs Monkey book.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Visited the town market today and spent £15 buying three comics (I thìnk having ditched the mask the air got to my head)

Anyway this particular stall had a pile of Alan Class comics at a £1each which I normally would have bought only I spotted two Flash Gordon Comics one with a cover I liked and had to have , it was priced £8 .I then spotted a Supergirl cover that was printed with a 5p
caption proving it was fairly old this was priced at £4. I then picked up a £5 DC Adventure comic and decided to ask for a deal and instead of paying £17 suggested £15 which was agreed.

The Flash Gordon artwork though similar in style I'm fairly sure is not that of Alex Raymond's as it lacks his quality.
Supergirl is also lacking in the art depiction in my opinion.

Flash Gordon 1967
Supergirl 1971
Adventure comics 1972 (Return of the man with the animal powers looks an interesting story in this comic.)

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

abacus wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 15:18
Visited the town market today and spent £15 buying three comics (I thìnk having ditched the mask the air got to my head)

Anyway this particular stall had a pile of Alan Class comics at a £1each which I normally would have bought only I spotted two Flash Gordon Comics one with a cover I liked and had to have , it was priced £8 .I then spotted a Supergirl cover that was printed with a 5p
caption proving it was fairly old this was priced at £4. I then picked up a £5 DC Adventure comic and decided to ask for a deal and instead of paying £17 suggested £15 which was agreed.

The Flash Gordon artwork though similar in style I'm fairly sure is not that of Alex Raymond's as it lacks his quality.
Supergirl is also lacking in the art depiction in my opinion.

Flash Gordon 1967
Supergirl 1971
Adventure comics 1972 (Return of the man with the animal powers looks an interesting story in this comic.)

The Flash Gordon art, cover and contents, is by Mac Raboy who drew the Flash Gordon Sunday strips from 1946 to 1967. Before that he drew Captain Marvel Jr.