What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Into The Abyss

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Into The Abyss »

SID wrote:
10 May 2022, 17:07
Into The Abyss wrote:
07 May 2022, 18:09
SID wrote:
07 May 2022, 11:05
Happy Saturday Morning, folks.

Not classic comics but have just ordered my following regulars :up::

The77 - Vol 1 Issue 7
Shift - Vol 2 Issues 1 & 2
Batman: Guardian Of The Night - Vol 1 Issues 13 & 14
A sunny Saturday greets back. Been busy there I see SID. Myself have been eying up some more classic 1940s Beano & Dandy comics. 🙂🤞
Hiya, Abyss. How did you get on with those 1940s comics in the end?
Hi SID. Sorry for the delay in responding. To answer your question. I'm still watching them. Got my eye on four, maybe five , from the 1940s. Not long to go now. Hopefully I'll be successful. Watch this space. 🙂🤞
Well, hello there! :wave:

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

SID wrote:
10 May 2022, 17:07
Into The Abyss wrote:
07 May 2022, 18:09
SID wrote:
07 May 2022, 11:05
Happy Saturday Morning, folks.

Not classic comics but have just ordered my following regulars :up::

The77 - Vol 1 Issue 7
Shift - Vol 2 Issues 1 & 2
Batman: Guardian Of The Night - Vol 1 Issues 13 & 14
A sunny Saturday greets back. Been busy there I see SID. Myself have been eying up some more classic 1940s Beano & Dandy comics. 🙂🤞
Hiya, Abyss. How did you get on with those 1940s comics in the end?
Hi SID. Sorry for the delay in responding. To answer your question. I'm still watching them. Got my eye on four, maybe five , from the 1940s. Not long to go now. Hopefully I'll be successful. Watch this space. 🙂🤞

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Sourced a very nice Dandy comic No. 291 from1945 in FN cond.

Update 17/05/2022: Here it is. Bagged & boarded. :)

Last edited by Into The Abyss on 17 May 2022, 13:57, edited 2 times in total.

Chalky

Post by Chalky »

This week I received the following Buster comics in Fine condition:

25th July 1964
22nd August 1964
5th September 1964
12th September 1964
5th December 1964

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Chalky wrote:
17 May 2022, 09:24
This week I received the following Buster comics in Fine condition:

25th July 1964
22nd August 1964
5th September 1964
12th September 1964
5th December 1964
Nice collection there Chalky. Upload some pictures of those beauties. 8)

Chalky

Post by Chalky »

I will Into The Abyss, when I have a bit more time at the weekend assuming I can figure out how to upload them!

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Chalky wrote:
17 May 2022, 16:06
I will Into The Abyss, when I have a bit more time at the weekend assuming I can figure out how to upload them!
Hey, no rush Chalky. If you want, do as I do by uploading my comic images to Flickr as it acts as a server. Just create an account. Upload your pictures. Then share them to yourself by sending any pictures to your own email address. And once received, simply click on the picture image and just copy & paste it to the forum. Sounds a bit technical I know but it's straight forward really. 🙂👍

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I managed to get a copy of the 1951 Beano Book for under £30 and with all the pages. The cover is a little grubby and the words on the spine have completely rubbed off but inside its in lovely condition. Its now the oldest annual I've got and it's a really good one. I don't think I've read another Beano Book with so much of Dudley Watkins work in it. Biffo, Lord Snooty, Peter the Piper, Tom Thumb and Jimmy and his Magic Patch. Its also got lots of good artwork by Bill Holroyd, his 1950s Beano work is really good. One of the standouts is a Biffo strip which has a Beano Xmas party with crossovers with lots of other Beano characters.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Congrats TCT for your 1951 Beano book purchase. I think the last time I sourced an annual was in the mid to late 90s? Anyway, me and my brother frequented boot sales and also used the yellow free-ads to source books & comics, this a time before eBay and the internet, or as we like to refer to it as, the dark ages lol. 😅

We literally had hundreds of Beano, Dandy, Cor, Whizzer & Chips, you name it we had it, before deciding to sell them as they started to overwhelm the house. I do regret letting go the Beano & Dandy annuals from the 50s & 60s. Some were in superb condition too. Bet they'd be worth a ton of money today. 😥

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I still try and frequent boot sales, second hand book shops, markets, comic shops and charity shops looking for annuals. I've managed to get a good few that way in the last couple years. And its a lot more fun than getting them via eBay. My comic and annual collection has already overwhelmed my house.

Some of those 50s annuals in the right condition can go for quite a lot. I was watching another 1951 Beano book on ebay and it went for over £180.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

I've recently been in contact with the John Bolton Studios regarding purchasing art. Yesterday I received as a gift from both John & Liliana Bolton issues 1 to 4 of the Evil Dead comic that was given to him by Dark Horse Comics on completion. He even signed them too. 😍

I was told also how Sam Raimi himself asked that John Bolton do the art for the comic being a fan of his work. And how he even visited their home and had lunch. I'm jealous.

Anyway, I'm currently in the process of purchasing some Evil Dead art as said. I've already bought one page today, and over the next few months hope to secure more. See the comics received. So cool. 😎

ImageImage
ImageImage

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

very lovely - good luck on the art purchasing front
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

blaing

Post by blaing »

On its way from Rebellion, Monster Fun No. 2. I should get that by the end of the month or early July.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Richard S. wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 22:29
very lovely - good luck on the art purchasing front
Thanks Richard S. Yeah the pages are amazing. Going to buy four in total. Very expensive but you pay for quality. Some of the pages images are so iconic. Think one or two are rear covers the reason so pricey.

The first one bought yesterday is from issue #1, page - 8, and has the iconic log cabin and features Ash's car travelling over the spooky rickety bridge as see in the film. And the next page to buy is from issue #3, page -22, and features Ash chopping a female Deadite's head off with a shovel. Not for the faint hearted. 😎

SID

Post by SID »

blaing wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 22:34
On its way from Rebellion, Monster Fun No. two. I should get that by the end of the month or early July.
Got my copy the other week. Enjoyed it. 👍
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).