'Tin-Tin' documentary tonight!

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

Just been informed by Kim Stevens, my website co-producer, there's a documentary tonight (Saturday 13 Jan) on BBC4 about Georges Reme, otherwise known as Herge.

Not British obviously, but thought it would interest those here. I think it's preceded by one of the more recent animated versions of 'Tin-Tin In Tibet'.

:D

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: 'Tin-Tin' documentary tonight!

Post by colcool007 »

Shaqui wrote:Just been informed by Kim Stevens, my website co-producer, there's a documentary tonight (Saturday 13 Jan) on BBC4 about Georges Reme, otherwise known as Herge.

Not British obviously, but thought it would interest those here. I think it's preceded by one of the more recent animated versions of 'Tin-Tin In Tibet'.

:D
And here is me stuck with BFBS! :( I will be lucky if it even gets a mention! :wink:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Personally I can't get into the new animated versions of Tin-Tin. They only make me yearn nostalgically for the old Tele Hachete and Belvision versions produced in the 1960's. Each story was split into about 20 5 minute segments that the BBC used to show at the end of children's hour Monday to Friday just before the news and even if, with the need to spend about half of the five minutes explaining the story so far, you actually got very little new material each day it still had an excitement and charm that these later versions lack. "What's wrong Snowy!"

David Simpson

Post by David Simpson »

What I remember most from the old Tintin TV series was the stentorian opening bellow of "HERGE'S ADVENTURES OF TINTIN!!"

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

David Simpson wrote:What I remember most from the old Tintin TV series was the stentorian opening bellow of "HERGE'S ADVENTURES OF TINTIN!!"
Absolutely the same with me and stentorian is certainly the word for that memorable voice! So memorable in fact that years later when watching the famous 'I am Spartacus!' scene from the film Spartacus a shiver of recognition went down my spine when one of the Roman guard spoke with exactly the same voice. Thinking about it didn't this voice-actor also do the voice of Capt Haddock?
Another aspect of the 1960's Tin-Tin that I enjoyed was waiting eagerly to spot the scenes shown in the credits as they eventually came up in the narrative. I seem to remember enjoying doing this with the scenes as they appeared in the credits of the first series of Scooby Doo as well. Strange are the fixations of youth!

finisterre

Post by finisterre »

So, does anyone know the name of the actor with the stentorian voice?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Finisterre, The name of the voice-actor with the stentorian voice was american Paul Frees (1920-1986) who actually did all of the voices for the english language versions of the 1962 Tele-Hachete and Belvision Tin-Tin series apart from Tin-Tin himself. Apart from this he did an awful lot of other character voices for cartoons eg Ludwig von Drake in the Donald Duck series for Disney and, like his voice work in Spartacus that i've already mentioned, he was also often used to dub over the dialogue of foreign actors in US movies filmed in foreign locales when for contractual reasons a certain amount of local non-english speaking talent had to be employed.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Kashgar wrote:Another aspect of the 1960's Tin-Tin that I enjoyed was waiting eagerly to spot the scenes shown in the credits as they eventually came up in the narrative....Strange are the fixations of youth!
Gosh yes! I remember doing that quite obsessively with Jonny Quest - so much so that I was terrified of missing an episode! In fact it was almost like train-spotting; maybe they should have published an I-Spy Book of TV cartoon credits??? :?

Phil Rushton

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Gosh yes! I remember doing that quite obsessively with Jonny Quest - so much so that I was terrified of missing an episode! In fact it was almost like train-spotting; maybe they should have published an I-Spy Book of TV cartoon credits??? :?

Phil Rushton
Jonny Quest - now you're talking! Absolutely brilliant. As I remember in the case of Jonny Quest and Scooby Doo most of the scenes used in the credits seemed to come from the same episode but I can still remember waiting, sweaty palmed, for each episode to unfold in the hope that this was going to be the episode that included all of those scenes that the credits had whetted your appetite for over the previous weeks.
When I think of the Jonny Quest credits I seem to recall a scene with him being persued through some mine workings by a mummy. Or maybe it was a zombie?