Who actually CREATED Adam Eterno?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Yes folks,the question had to be asked-who or whom actually created
our hero of the timelines?Was it the brainchild of just one man,or
maybe a team of editorial heads,or an artist /writer team
perhaps.Often,as is probably the case here,an original idea is
mooted,developed and initially nurtured by a creative team,then passed
on to a proven artist/writer combo who will stay with the project till
it's maturity and demise.A pun on the "hatch,match,dispatch" policy of
so many publishers :-)Even though this story underwent a series of
tangents in view of its original premise,I would still love to know in
whose brain this idea first germinated...and then all the other
contributors.Jesus Blasco,Tom Tully,Solano Lopez,Eric Bradbury all
spring to mind,but can anybody put it all into context and in a
chronological order with attention being paid to the entire series
from conception to sad ending.AE's family deserves to be unearthed
!!!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm pretty sure that Adam was created by Tom Tully, and since the first episode in Thunder no.1 was the only time he was ever drawn by Tom Kerr I'd guess that the character was initially assigned to this reliable artist in order to establish a distinctive appearance before the strip was passed on to the less experienced Colin Page. Solano Lopez and his busy studio finally came on board from Feb 6 1971, and then went on to produce the vast majority of adventures following the merger with Lion. Offhand I can't think of any stories that were drawn by Jesus Blasco however: do you have a particular instance in mind Cap?

- Phil Rushton

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Thanks for the info Phil,I actually didn't know Tom Kerr only drew the first strip(looking at them now,yes there is a distinct difference between strip 1-more spooky drawing than the later Colin Page-cleaner lines etc).Jesus Blasco sticks in my mind for some reason :-)Maybe he drew some of the AE stuff in a Summer Special or Annual?Also,can anybody supply me with a scan of an Adam Eterno strip from the first Lion & Thunder Holiday Special from 1971?I would be most grateful :oops:

karl

Post by karl »

Have that 'lion summer special' with adam in colour for the first page.

Will try to scan it to you soon or will post copy to you if you wish.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Cap, I can't think of any instance in which Jesus Blasco drew Adam Eterno but he did draw the kind of similar 'Indestructible Man' in 'Jag' in which an ancient Egyptian is revived from a 2500 year old hypnotic sleep in modern times. Is it possible it is this that you are thinking of re Blasco rather than Adam Eterno?

Lew Stringer

Re: Who actually CREATED Adam Eterno?

Post by Lew Stringer »

karl wrote:Have that 'lion summer special' with adam in colour for the first page.

Will try to scan it to you soon or will post copy to you if you wish.

Wasn't that strip a reprint of the first Adam Eterno story?

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Karl----I have that particular strip you are talking about.The one I am looking for is the "first" Lion and Thunder Holiday Special 1971..a black and white strip.

Kashgar---Yes,I was probably thinking about the indestructible man :-( Thanks for the info.

Lew---Correct,it was a reprint of the first couple of AE strips in Thunder.

Thanks guys for your info and offers of scans.I would really like to get the 1971 scans though.. :twisted:

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Al,I just noticed in your interview with Scott Goodall(how did I not notice it before!)that he says he wrote some Adam Eterno scripts!!Can you ask him if he can elaborate?Did he create him as he created other classics?Or did he take over scripting duties in Lion or Valiant?Up till now,I believed that Tom Tully was the main man.Still don't know who wrote the first story,though many fans think Tom Tully created him.Any info would be warmly welcome.

Lew Stringer

Re: Who actually CREATED Adam Eterno?

Post by Lew Stringer »

Captain Storm wrote:Al,I just noticed in your interview with Scott Goodall(how did I not notice it before!)that he says he wrote some Adam Eterno scripts!!Can you ask him if he can elaborate?Did he create him as he created other classics?Or did he take over scripting duties in Lion or Valiant?Up till now,I believed that Tom Tully was the main man.Still don't know who wrote the first story,though many fans think Tom Tully created him.Any info would be warmly welcome.

It's possible that the editor came up with the basic concept. That was certainly the case on the IPC humour comics where Bob Paynter would often create new characters and even script the first episodes. Perhaps the same applied to the adventure comics? (This might explain why Adam Eterno had a change in direction after a few episodes, fearing gold instead of seeking death, as a new writer came on board.)

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Ted Cowan and Chris Lowder also provided scripts for the series.

- Phil Rushton