Drawing comics: help please!

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Steve Bright

Post by Steve Bright »

Okay, I will admit that I applied, and my first choice (Edinburgh College of Art) turned me down. I was a little cheesed off to say the least, so I decided not to bother with my second choice (Dundee's Duncan of Jordanstone Art College, from where my daughter graduated in the summer, with honours - she'll be crushed to discover she's not a genius), and left school aged 18, in the summer of 77, took a couple of weeks off, then began my 'career in journalism', as the office junior on 'The Beano'.

Art college could never have beaten that as a gateway into drawing comics.

Gary, you survived it really well! Steve H, Nigel and Lew, what's the plural of genius anyway?
Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

Gary Northfield

Post by Gary Northfield »

Well, I didn't do any comics while I was there, as far as I can remember, just some nice woodcuts of dinosaurs for my final show. I did do my thesis on "narrative structure" though, but I bored myself to tears just mentioning the title, so God knows what the whole thing reads like. I really hated writing essays.

It's the parties that put hair on your chest. Some of the best years of my life I'd say.

SH

Post by SH »

sigh! your so lucky Gary .
I gate crashed a college party in Dundee once and I picked up a girl too, she owned and apple orchard lol! but she was crazy so it only lasted a week. its always the rich ones eh?

LauraH

Post by LauraH »

Nope, I did English Literature at Uni, although I wanted to do a degree in animation... I've always kind of regretted wussing out and going down the academic route instead of pursuing what I really loved :(

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

I always wanted to draw comics, I was the best of 170 at secondary school for life drawing (and cartoons), I did a foundation in art & design, with a view to do illustration, but whilst on a degree course in graphic design I became a general graphic designer instead, rather than an illustrator - and am still doing it today, over 16 years later. :wink: So doing art & design can lead to different things. :)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I tried ART SCHOOL for a few months......total waste of time..........learnt to work with colour, but they hated my natural cartoon style...........if you intend forging an original style, PLEASE avoid art-school-----your time is better spent developing your own stuff....a lot of these tutors are frustrated, failed artists.........if you HAVE to be a failed artist, at least do it on your own terms.

dennis the menace

Post by dennis the menace »

how do you draw dennis and gnasher.

dennis the menace

i cannot draw comics but i wish i could would someone scan somehting in to help thanks. :oops:

dennis the menace

Re: Drawing comics: help please!

readee wrote:Thank you all - I knew you'd come up trumps on this one!

Your advice is really useful - I'll let you know how I get on...

Are there any other publications that might be worth submitting to? Am I right in thinking that Lucky Bag comic is still all reprint?

Dave - have tracked down the book on eBay... Cheers!

Best,
Chris
ipc are good to submit to they make loads of new comics every week.

dennis the menace

this is all i can do:

[img:640:480]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... /beano.jpg[/img]

how sick is that (ps: sorry for bad picture quality

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Eeh, you should see some of my old stuff XD. One of these days i'll do a "progress" page...

They key to improving is to practice, always. I tend to do it in biochem, well it's not like i'm learning anything XD

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

heres some expressions...got the link from cartoonbrew.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidblog/2069522668

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'cartoon brew' is a BRILLIANT site, PETER...........I often put comments on there, too.........I have a very different user-name, though.......for me, it's the best specialized animation site of it.s kind, the 'moving cartoon' equivalent of COMICS U.K.

You are unlikely to see the 'BEANO' on there, but there is often U.S. comics-stuff featured...........cartoon brew, this site and 'youtube' are the sites I frquent the most, and I flit, chameleon-like , between them.......me telly has literally never been switched on in the 8 months since I OWNED A COMPUTER.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

The top reguraly sites and forums I use

Cartoon Brew a big fan of old cartoons...Betty Boop..Popeye..Mickey..Silly S...Tex Avery...Looney Tunes..etc..
Lews Blog :)
Toonhound.com
here
Sausagenet.org
digitialspy
doctor who forum
youtube.... 8)
kryptonsite....love Smallville
bearalley
bbc new entertainment
marvelmasterworks forum..DC forum