Fan art

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Fan art

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:
WizzKid97 wrote:Today I did some fan-art of the nitwit of a newt, The Dark Newt! I thought Lew's fantastic Dandy character was worthy of some fan-art for making me laugh for real every week since his debut!

What do you all think? :)
It's very good looks almost as if it was done by Lew himself.
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: I'm getting paid for cartoons to illustrate a website on chicken-breeding.
How bizarre.

There's not a lot of work in the comics biz these days, and although I often got nice replies from DCT especially [Mr Kerr remembered me after 10 years!] I stopped submitting anything anywhere for several years. I never stopped drawing though, just for the love of it.

About a year ago, I discovered that cartoon jobs are global today, and working from home you can flog stuff through agencies, to anywhere from Ireland to Greece. Two weeks ago I had a live online Skype video interview with a cartoon Editor in deepest Alabama! Still waiting on the outcome on that one........There's more work than ever in this [cartoon] field, and I get enquiries every week. Payment is often less than comics work, but sometimes its a lot more

Assignments vary from designing characters for companies [I'm involved with this right now] to the bizarre [like this chicken-breeding one]; I've worked for this guy before, you can get repeat work if folk like your stuff. Some people give you complete freedom, like in this case.

Never thought I'd ever go totally freelance as this, but I love the sheer diversity of these assignments.

Learning Gimp techniques definitely helped, though I find the computer a pain at times [it's found me work, though]

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I'll even draw strips about ladies' underwear if someone will pay me!: [a very enjoyable assignment, actually]:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Those cartoons were pants (well someone had to say it).

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I'm just glad it was you, Steve!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I gusset had to be.

Me and my mate used to have pun contests as teenagers.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

:D :D :D :D

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

This isn't fan art but its very impressive so I thought i'd share it with you all. From yesterday's Daily Express. These pictures were drawn with ballpoint pens by Samuel Silva a Portugese lawyer and can take up to 50 hours per drawing.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The Express needs to brush up on its big cats... should we draw up a list for them?

(fantastic pen work!)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

About a year ago, I discovered that cartoon jobs are global today, and working from home you can flog stuff through agencies, to anywhere from Ireland to Greece.
Today? Judge Dredd's look was created by a Spaniard and a lot of Commando was drawn in Argentina!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

AndyB wrote:The Express needs to brush up on its big cats... should we draw up a list for them?

(fantastic pen work!)
:lol: True, that's no tiger - is it a leopard, or a lioness?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I would have said leopard, as lions' spots fade towards adulthood and are hidden by their coat anyway.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Its a shame none of you have the good grace to admire the man's excellent hard work.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/odd/news/a4 ... tures.html
Ah, so the cat's a jaguar. You can also see a comparison of that girl with a photo of her. Some slightly mispositioned hair on the right, but otherwise very accurate. Thing is though, there's no such thing as a yellow ball point pen, so yellows and flesh tones shouldn't be possible. This Samuel Silva must be lying about his methods.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Digifiend wrote:This Samuel Silva must be lying about his methods.
Well, he is a lawyer... :D

He appears to be using some clever optical colour mixing - a kind of Divisionism. And biro pens have a natural transparency that grows in intensity with layering. Six colours is a profusion using this technique. Maybe he made a mistake mentioning Bic pens which only seem to be available in four colours..?

As for the art...taken at face value it's very cleverly crafted, but there's little real creativity in tracing.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

You used to be able to get multi-coloured biros that had all sorts of colours in them. My brother used one to colour a comic he made once. There was pink, yellow and dark yellow which could probably be carefully combined.