Dan Dare No.1

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Dan Dare No.1

Post by philcom55 »

Has anyone else read this yet? On the whole I was pleasantly surprised with the storyline, though it seems to me that the main weakness at this stage is the artwork. Gary Erskine appears to be aiming at an ultra-detailed 'not-just-the-kitchen-sink-but-the-plumbing-as-well' look in the style of The Ministry of Space's Chris Weston - unfortunately his drawing abilities just aren't strong enough to pull it off. Hopefully this gig will enable him to reach an acceptable standard sooner rather than later. By contrast the Bryan Talbot cover is a joy to behold (unlike the Greg Horn variant, and the preview of No.2 in which Dan appears to be doing a fair imitation of the Hunchback of Notre Dame!).

- Phil R.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Dan Dare No.1

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I recently viewed BRYAN TALBOT'S epic opus, 'ALICE in SUNDERLAND', Phil.......choc-a-block with insider gags and British comic-history references........even ANDY CAPP gets a short mention!....... I grew to like his 'NEMESIS the WARLOCK' work from around 1985 onwards.....for me, this is one of the strangest strips in all comics history, making some 'JUDGE DREDD' 22ND-Century story ideas seem almost cosy and contemporary-seeming in comparison.

Lew Stringer

Re: Dan Dare No.1

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I grew to like his 'NEMESIS the WARLOCK' work from around 1985 onwards.....for me, this is one of the strangest strips in all comics history, making some 'JUDGE DREDD' 22ND-Century story ideas seem almost cosy and contemporary-seeming in comparison.
I don't know if you're aware, but there are two collected editions of Nemesis now available. The first features the work of original series artist Kev O'Neill, along with the Redondo series and Bryan's first Nemesis series:

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2007/01 ... demon.html

ISPYSHHHGUY

Dan Dare No.1

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Funny, I just bought them both together a fortnight ago, LEW.......for me, originator KEV O'NEILL done the most individualistic and stylish version of 'NEMESIS', -----this is an absolutely incredible, far-future vision that will take some beating in terms of originality.
---BRYAN'S work on this saga, though obviously very different in many aspects, is still impressive in different ways.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Dan Dare No.1

Post by steelclaw »

Went to try and buy the Dan Dare comic from the Fobidden Planet but was told it had sold out the day it was released on 5th December. :cry:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

steelclaw wrote:Went to try and buy the Dan Dare comic from the Fobidden Planet but was told it had sold out the day it was released on 5th December. :cry:
Same at my local FP. Seems they under-ordered. (That's the disadvantage of twenty-somethings ordering stock eh? ;-))

Try eBay. That's where I got mine from.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Richard S.

Dan Dare No.1

Post by Richard S. »

Try 30th century, they had multiple copies the last time I was in

http://www.thirtiethcentury.free-online.co.uk/index.htm

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Dan Dare No.1

Post by steelclaw »

Tried Ebay, only people from Auzi or US selling it.
Thanks, forgot about that shop, it's not that far from me.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Dan Dare No.1

Post by steelclaw »

Yahoo got the Dan Dare comic, also bought the Variant Edition No.1 cover.

[img:665:1024]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283 ... kxx/dd.jpg[/img]

tolworthy

Post by tolworthy »

Where are the trademark eyebrows? Or is that Digby?

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Dan Dare No.1

Post by felneymike »

That's the disadvantage of twenty-somethings ordering stock eh?
Ooh i dunno, the comic shop in Lincoln where i asked for it had seemingly under-ordered because it's run by old people who assumed nobody would be interested in an old character (no they're just uninterested in old stories, borderline insulting re-imaginings are all the rage). He went rooting through a pile grumbling something about when Eagle was 4d

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Dan Dare No.1

Post by steelclaw »

Is number 2 out yet? it said it would be out in december, but I've been to lazy to look.

Richard S.

Dan Dare No.1

Post by Richard S. »

yes

Again, 30th century have plenty in stock

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Dan Dare No.1

Post by steelclaw »

Oh OK :shock:

PaulTwist

Dan Dare No.1

Post by PaulTwist »

I enjoyed issue 1 of this, despite little familiarity with the character and Ennis's heavy-handed shoehorning in of the current political climate. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be there - I think it's essential - but it could've been done with a tad more subtlety. I also was sent the variant cover, when I would've preferred Bryan Talbot's, but I'm not really that bothered about that. Looking forward to #2 hitting my doormat anyway.

O/T, but it's a shame Ennis is leaving The Punisher, as he's turned that character from a B-list joke to a genuinely thrilling, terrifying and adult book.