Need help identifying a comic

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Need help identifying a comic

Post by colcool007 »

Well, there are two clues there. The first is the (C) D C Thomson on the first page and the second is that the agent chasing Chameleon is Jim Lennox. I would hazard a guess that we are either looking at Wizard, Hotspur or Bullet for this story. Also with the styles involved (hair, clothing, etc) I would peg it circa mid to late 70's. (The date line of 1982 doesn't hurt either!) It is reminiscent of the Jake Jeffries stories, but I don't have enough Wizards to know of any story other than The Frozen Man or The Secret Of Black Island. It also reads like an extended version of Steelhead Sam (which appeared in the Victor) but the Steelhead Sam stories were at most only one or two episodes long.

After a brainwave, I have even checked one of the best sources for Denis' comicography, but even that hasn't helped. Here's the link for everyone anyway.
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/6569/DenisMc/
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

A new one. I haven't read this one myslef, it's a danish bloke who wonders about an viking comic that appeared in denmark both in regular format comics and pocket format.

The comic was published in Denmark under the name "Rollo", could this be "Karl the Viking"?

Last edited by Sir-L on 02 Jun 2009, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

From the covers it def looks like Karl the Viking to me - I know this series of books featured a few UK based comic characters.

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

One more.

This comic was published in Denmark under the name of "Kalar", does anyone recognize it? (Sorry, got no interior this time either)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

The source for the serial Terror In The Tall Tower which appeared in the picture version of The Wizard, and by extension Red Dagger, was a text serial called The Terror In The Skyscraper. It was in The Wizard from issue 664 (Aug. 24 1935) to 673 (Oct. 26 1935). An English youngster called Jimmy Allan is left a Chicago skyscraper by his uncle, Benjamin Leeson. However, the Leeson Building is thought to be haunted, so there are no tenants, and Jimmy discovers that he owes $80,000 in back taxes. The problem is actually Van Volk and his 'pet', a massive octopus, which lives in the basement pool. Jimmy and Spike Kerrick, a one-legged ex-marine, take them on.

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

"Kalar" was appearently published in Sweden too, under the name "Jim Cane". The copy was Graph-Lit.

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

Rollo was apparently a comic by the name of Ögan.

-----------------------------
Next

Following comic is copy DC Thomson and revolves around a boxer who was framed for murder. In sweden it was called "Lillen", most likely from the Swedish boxer Anders "Lillen" Eklund.

Anyone recognize the comic?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

At last one that I do know. The story was originally published in the UK as They Can't Tame Tasker in Bullet in 1977. The artist is Pete Sutherland.

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

Thank you very much for that info. :)

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

colcool007 wrote:At last one that I do know. The story was originally published in the UK as They Can't Tame Tasker in Bullet in 1977. The artist is Pete Sutherland.
Blimey Colcool you can see that picture. :o

Hey the pictures just got bigger.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

steelclaw wrote:
colcool007 wrote:At last one that I do know. The story was originally published in the UK as They Can't Tame Tasker in Bullet in 1977. The artist is Pete Sutherland.

See, my magic dust does help! :lol:

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

colcool007 wrote:
steelclaw wrote:

See, my magic dust does help! :lol:
Cool that's have some :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:It is reminiscent of the Jake Jeffries stories, but I don't have enough Wizards to know of any story other than The Frozen Man or The Secret Of Black Island.
I'm coming in a bit late on this, Col, so sorry for the delay. You seem to be referring to the protagonist of serials such as The Island Of Whispers, Trail Of The Yellow Tong, The Shadow Men On The Mountains and The Frozen Man On The Mountain, all of which appeared in later issues of The Rover. The guy's name was Jake Jeffords, and the name was retained for The Frozen Man in the picture version of The Wizard in 1975.

Hellstone

Post by Hellstone »

Did Sutherland do other sports strips for Bullet? The art style seems reminiscent of Midge (a strip about a weightlifter) and Twisty (the fotballer with the homing pigeons). Do you know if he did those as well?

/ola

Hellstone

Post by Hellstone »

Another question: in Swedish comic mags in the 1970s, there was a British comic called "Simon Smart" about a criminal and antihero who looked as a bum with long filthy hair, but was a genius able to escape the long arm of the law, time and again.

Does this one ring a bell? (Sadly I have no picture to show right now, and I'm not sure whether "Simon Smart" was the original title or just one of those odd "translations".)

/ola