Need help identifying a comic

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Sir-L

Re: Need help identifying a comic

Post by Sir-L »

Alright, let's get it on with another batch comics:

--------
--------
First off, couple o'comics I thought I'd cracked, but it turns out I was to optimistic.

"Spy Smasher Smith Agent 005" (Translation of the Swedish title)
Could've sworn I seen this in english somewhere, under "Agent Smith" or something, but I'll be darn if I can find anything anywhere on the net.

I have been told this could be a comic in Lion, "Spy Smasher Smith", but I haven't been able to locate any images
Click here for a bigger version

--------
"The S.O.S. Patrol" (Translation of the Swedish title)
I'd got this pegged as "S.O.S. Squad" years ago. But when I return to double check it now, the only thing I can find are this: http://bustercomic.co.uk/sos.html... or this http://petergraysukcomicartists.blogspo ... squad.html
So, I'm thinking... Not so accurate...

It's about the Arrow family who is apparantly whizzards at making robotic thingies. Also featuring is their little mascot Eggy, who's a tiny robot.

--------
--------
"Scary Legionnaires" (Translation of the Swedish title)

Ending
This is the three head characters: Mike McGinty, Hambone Smith and Weassel Watkins.

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

Got me another one, this time without any picture (although a scan can always be added later if it should be necesary).

"The Buddies" (translation from Swedish title)
About Knocker White and his buddy "Jinx" Jenkins. They are "the two toughest foremen at the gigantic company Anglo-Global."
It looks to me like the art's Ian Kennedy again.

[Edited]Added a scan per request[/Edited]

--------------
What the heck, I throw in yet another one...

"The ball is round" (translation from Swedish title)
By Mike Atkinson, copy IPC

Last edited by Sir-L on 10 Jul 2011, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Sir L, can you do a scan of the buddies? I feel that I should know it, but I just can't place it at the moment.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

colcool007 wrote:Sir L, can you do a scan of the buddies? I feel that I should know it, but I just can't place it at the moment.
One scan added...

And while I'm at it... Heeeere's another one...
----------------------
"Thief and Police" (translation of the Swedish title)
Copy: IPC
A (mostly) three page "fact-based picture feature"

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

Valiant 1970_06_27 AJ.jpg
The Trouble-Seekers began in issue 399 of Valiant, cover dated 23rd May 1970. It didn't survive the merger with Smash! so issue 432 (3rd April 1971) is probably the final issue it appeared in.

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

Thanks ever so much Robbie!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

'S.O.S. Patrullen' is almost certainly 'The Robot Builders' from Tiger & Hurricane, but I'll have to check to be sure. The extract from this and the 'Scary Legionnaires' pages all look like the work of Carlos Cruz.

- Phil Rushton

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Sir-L wrote:Thanks ever so much Robbie!
And thank you Sir-L. That's the first time I have seen that work by Ian Kennedy. It's unusual in the fact that IK rarely ever drew "chunky" characters. Most of his were either rugged or muscular, but rarely a less than physically fit specimen.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:'S.O.S. Patrullen' is almost certainly 'The Robot Builders' from Tiger & Hurricane, but I'll have to check to be sure. The extract from this and the 'Scary Legionnaires' pages all look like the work of Carlos Cruz.

- Phil Rushton
Looks like The Fighting Three. That appeared in Smash! in 1970 but may have been a reprint from another Fleetway comic.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think you've nailed it Lou - especially as the Swedish version uses the same names (i.e. McGinty, Hambone and Weasel). For the record the series originally appeared as 'Mighty McGinty' in Buster.

- Phil R.

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

philcom55 wrote:'S.O.S. Patrullen' is almost certainly 'The Robot Builders' from Tiger & Hurricane, but I'll have to check to be sure. The extract from this and the 'Scary Legionnaires' pages all look like the work of Carlos Cruz.

- Phil Rushton
Thanks Phil, much appreciated
colcool007 wrote:
Sir-L wrote:Thanks ever so much Robbie!
And thank you Sir-L. That's the first time I have seen that work by Ian Kennedy. It's unusual in the fact that IK rarely ever drew "chunky" characters. Most of his were either rugged or muscular, but rarely a less than physically fit specimen.
Yeah, that did throwed me a little, but then again Kennedys style is pretty unique so there could be no mistake. And I'm glad my scans are appreciated, I was afraid you guys where fed up with me and my scans by now. :roll:
Lew Stringer wrote: Looks like The Fighting Three. That appeared in Smash! in 1970 but may have been a reprint from another Fleetway comic.
Great! Thanks Lew.
philcom55 wrote:I think you've nailed it Lou - especially as the Swedish version uses the same names (i.e. McGinty, Hambone and Weasel). For the record the series originally appeared as 'Mighty McGinty' in Buster.

- Phil R.
Duly noted

You guys ROCK! :notworthy:

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

philcom55 wrote:'S.O.S. Patrullen' is almost certainly 'The Robot Builders' from Tiger & Hurricane, but I'll have to check to be sure. [...]
Quite right Phil. It was "The Robot Builders", I found a scan on this site: http://r.leone.free.fr/Titres/ron_turner.htm
Thanks again!

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

Ok, I'm back. This time I've got a question about all those presentors: Solomon Knight, Simon Gaunt and Daniel Dark.

Is this episode below any of those? My money is on Daniel Dark, which has been published in the same Comic Book most recent of those features (they all have been published there). But I don't know anything about that feature. Is there such a feature as "Daniel Dark" or is it just in Sweden it has that name?

"Ancient magic" (translation of the Swedish title)
Copy: D.C. Thomson & co Ltd
3 page story about a girl who comes home to find her mom sick and there's an tenant living there. There's also a mean cat who is terrorising the village. The cat is found to be the tenant, who really is a witch. The witch where expelled from the village by one of their ancestors, using witchcraft, hundred years earlier.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Sir-L wrote:Is there such a feature as "Daniel Dark" or is it just in Sweden it has that name?
I think the character was called Damien (or Damian) Darke here.

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

Phoenix wrote: I think the character was called Damien (or Damian) Darke here.
I thank you for that Phoenix! :up:
Snoopin' around I found that it most certainly is an Damian Darke episode by the title of "Old Magic", first published in Debbie & Spellbound issue no 437 dated 27th June 1981.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Debbie-co ... 807wt_1139