This years reprint books-Help

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Kashgar
Guru

Re: This years reprint books-Help

Post by Kashgar »

STARBOY wrote:Was in Forbbiden Planet and Border today (Friday 31/10/08) and the Art of War Book is now on sale (not in Sept 2009 as previosy noted) looks very nice, although not my cuppa tea. I also noticed a book on the Eagle "Cut-outs" (ie views of ships , planes etc almost technical in their design) not sure if this is a re-issue or a new book but it was certinly shifting off the shelves.
Why, were they cleaning them? Not being of a technical bent I used to always find these cutaway features a crashing bore while admitting that I also knew some kids who positively salivated at the prospect of seeing a motor vehicle with it's inner workings exposed. I imagine they are all engineers or serial killers by now!

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

:D :D Have to agree with you on that one Kashgar, I also found these "cut-away" illos very boring, but I remember my "swotty" pals (to use Beano venacular) loved them. When I in the shop 2 of these books were sold which isn't bad I suppose.

ROY ROGERS

Post by ROY ROGERS »

PICKED UP THE NEW EAGLE CUTAWAY BOOK AND THE NEW ROY OF THE ROVERS BOOK FOR £3 EACH AT A BOOT SALE , AT THAT PRICE ITS WORTH GETTING :) BOTH BOOKS NEW AND MINT.
THE NOLAN SISTERS ARE MINE

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:I used to always find these cutaway features a crashing bore while admitting that I also knew some kids who positively salivated at the prospect of seeing a motor vehicle with it's inner workings exposed.
I for one have reason to be grateful, Kashgar, for those cutaways in Eagle. My father thought all comics were trash. In fact, he called them Penny Dreadfuls, and under this dismissive banner he placed all the comics and story papers that I was so avidly reading, such as The Beano, The Dandy, Radio Fun, Knockout, Adventure, The Rover, The Hotspur and The Wizard. There were more, of course, and he was scathing about them all. The only reason The Champion and Rupert in the Daily Express didn't get criticised was because I used to read them in friends' houses. Anyway, when the first issue of Eagle was advertised, I asked my father if he would buy it for me, knowing in advance that he would resist the temptation to give in to the eager, innocent eyes of his ten-year-old first born. I wasn't entirely guileless though, even at that age so, knowing that his objection to the so-called Penny Dreadfuls was that they were getting in the way of my acquiring the sort of education that would achieve his desire for me - a University degree, I told him about the cutaways, emphasising their educational value. I drew a veil over Dan Dare, the real reason I wanted the comic, and Mr Murdstone, sorry, I mean my father, gave in. I actually found the cutaways very boring, and even Dan Dare failed to maintain my interest, but I was aware that I had won a battle. After that, getting away with reading the Big Four was just that bit easier. The rest, as you know, is history.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Personally i found the deliberate "nostalgic" "worn" look of both the recent Eagle reprint books extremely off-putting. Enough to prevent buying it... Also the cutaways looked very squashed to me, i know Eagle was tabloid-sized but they look like they have been stretched lengthways.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

felneymike wrote:Personally i found the deliberate "nostalgic" "worn" look of both the recent Eagle reprint books extremely off-putting. Enough to prevent buying it... Also the cutaways looked very squashed to me, i know Eagle was tabloid-sized but they look like they have been stretched lengthways.

Yes, it didn't really work. Take a look at the Bumper Book of Roy of the Rovers for a much more subtle approach to yellowing the pages.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

Collected Hook Jaw has been updated and is now available from 7.58 + p&p from http://spitfirecomics.co.uk/
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics