Roy of the Rovers, Battle, Misty and Buster back on shelves

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Raven

Re: Roy of the Rovers, Battle, Misty and Buster back on shelves

Post by Raven »

Whereabouts in W. H. Smith is it being stocked - in among all the kiddie comics? I haven't noticed it myself.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

As soon as I walked into the The Smiths in Putney I saw it on a stand with some other magazines where you queue up to get served, but I still went and had a look where the kids comics were thinking I might see a pile there but none there.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

It seems to be at the discretion of the shelf fillers. My local branch has it with the kids' comics (because it IS a kids' comic I suppose). However as it's aimed at the nostalgia market of 30 somethings I would have thought it might be better placed elsewhere.

I suppose we should be grateful it's racked the right way up, not back to front or upside down as many comics are these days. :roll:

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

The Hornet

Post by The Hornet »

Your lucky its on any shealf :!: The three Smiths in my area haven't even heard or don't know of it :!:

The Hornet

ogtec

Post by ogtec »

Raven wrote:Whereabouts in W. H. Smith is it being stocked - in among all the kiddie comics? I haven't noticed it myself.
It is in with the football mags in my nearest one - that's the Stratford, E.London branch.
stevezodiac wrote:Some years back I picked up a large size (think Guinness book of Records) book of Roy of the Rovers. It was a sort of This Is Your Life - Roy. Featuring a chronological selection of strips. And some text - i think. I gave it to Frank Dobson. Does anyone else remember this book?
That could be Roy of the Rovers: The Playing Years, published by Queen Anne's Press in 1994 [isbn 1 85291 548 x]. According to the Contents page the book has strips from almost all years of Race's career, the second half of the album being full colour.

George

nottinghamian

Post by nottinghamian »

I found Roy of the overs in my local WHSmith, but it wasn't easy.

It wasn't in the comics section, it wasn't in the sports section. But i came across it in a small separate comics section, stuck in the far corner where no one would normally look.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

nottinghamian wrote:I found Roy of the overs in my local WHSmith, but it wasn't easy.
With a title like that they would surely have stacked it with the cricket mags.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

phoenix4ever wrote:
nottinghamian wrote:I found Roy of the overs in my local WHSmith, but it wasn't easy.
With a title like that they would surely have stacked it with the cricket mags.
:lol:

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Yeah seems a strange place to rack this title (ok I get their logic it's about Footy but it's primarily a comic I don't think your average "World Soccer" reader will pick this up) - But it made me wonder, where they will put "Buster", "Battle" and "Misty " when they are published ? W H Smiths racking policy seems a bit strange to me at times - persoanlly I wish they would just stick comics under comics. Saying that I picked up Roy of the Rovers (hidden well behing the Ranges and Celtic FC Monthly mags etc) looked ok but not my era - I bought it for Mighty Mouse -but for most on here it'll be good trip down memory lane - roll on Battle and Buster

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

At a guess, Buster will also go in the sports section near the boxing magazines, Battle will go in with "tank modelling monthly" and other such military magazines, and Misty will either wind up alongside travel magazines about the Highlands, in with the horror magazines like Fangoria... or both! :lol:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

STARBOY wrote:W H Smiths racking policy seems a bit strange to me at times - persoanlly I wish they would just stick comics under comics.
I think publishers specify / pay for where their titles should be displayed but it's impossible to check if every branch is bothering to do it.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

I dont know if there is anyone else out there having trouble getting the hold of the latest Roy of the Rover comic but in N.Ireland its impossible see my e mail sent to Egmont

Dear Egmont, I was unable to find the new Roy of the Rovers comic in WH Smiths Belfast. When I enquired about it the Customer Service guy said that for whatever reason thay were just sent one copy (yes one copy) and they dont know if they will be getting anymore in. He said that a number of people had been enquiring about it. I know this may be out of your hands but as the publisher I thought you would like to know that at this rate you are not going to sell too many copies in this part of the UK. Apart from the airport the WH Smiths in Belast is the only store in N.Ireland so unfortunately I cant get hold of a copy. Is it possible to get an issue direct from Egmont? If so can you send me details please. Hopefully things will be better for the release of Battle in June. Look forward to hearing from you. Regards Ian

Raven

Post by Raven »

Yes, twas with the football magazines. Thanks for the replies.

The lack of any dates, credits or editorial was disappointing, and a selection of seemingly random 80s football strips wasn't enough of a pull for me, but I hope the next few will have more effort put into them, as they're all of some interest.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Thanks, Ian - I was thinking yesterday that I couldn't see it in Belfast!

I'll see if it's floating around the International Airport on Monday.

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

I find the whole business of chain-stores charging a publisher for the privilege of selling their wares incomprehensible. I find the business of charging premium rates according to where goods are to be displayed reprehensible. But then to renege on the whole deal by taking the money and then putting out product in such a slip-shod manner is completely immoral and borders on the criminal. Surely that's taking money under false pretences? Shouldn't publishers demand their money back? Or threaten to sue? It is utterly outrageous.