Another landmark for Lew

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Another landmark for Lew

Post by AndyB »

For what it's worth, this is the Top 11 - because I'm at #11, and old forum fella cheated!

1 Lew Stringer 2005
2 Old Forum Fella 1656
3 Peter Gray 1586
4 Kashgar 1252
5 colcool007 897
6 ISPYSHHHGUY 714
7 Captain Storm 674
8 philcom55 636
9 stevezodiac 633
10 Al 604
11 AndyB 561

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

AndyB wrote:For what it's worth, this is the Top 11 - because I'm at #11, and old forum fella cheated!

1 Lew Stringer 2005
2 Old Forum Fella 1656
3 Peter Gray 1586
4 Kashgar 1252
5 colcool007 897
6 ISPYSHHHGUY 714
7 Captain Storm 674
8 philcom55 636
9 stevezodiac 633
10 Al 604
11 AndyB 561

1 Lew Stringer 2005
2 Old Forum Fella 1656
3 Peter Gray 1586
4 Kashgar 1252
5 colcool007 897
6 ISPYSHHHGUY 714
7 Captain Storm 674
8 philcom55 636
9 stevezodiac 633
10 Al 604
11 AndyB 561
12 Raven 500
13 Steelclaw :wave: :cheers: :coat:

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

What the heck, why not make it a top 18 ;)

1 Lew Stringer 2005
2 Old Forum Fella 1656
3 Peter Gray 1586
4 Kashgar 1252
5 colcool007 897
6 ISPYSHHHGUY 714
7 Captain Storm 674
8 philcom55 636
9 stevezodiac 633
10 Al 604
11 AndyB 561
12 Raven 500
13 Steelclaw 467
14 Shaqui 423
15 fenleymike 401
16 Cap Haggis 376
17 Earl 329
18 Conor B 321 :notworthy:
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I can't say I'm particularly proud of being the top poster. Too much time spent here methinks.

My excuse is that as I work at home and use the Mac for business (reference, scripts, emails, scanning art) I drop in on Comics UK quite often but 2007 posts is too many. You folks will have to post stuff less interesting so I won't get distracted! ;-) :lol:

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

special congrats to those especially who have topped the 1000 mark; I had no idea I was number 6 in these postings [though I'm still well short of the top 5]. These posting numbers are actually fairly mild in comparison to many other sites, where 3000+ postings are quite common. I find many other sites of this type [fansites, not comic-sites] really tedious, however, with repetitive, self-congratulating smugness offputting to the point where I rarely hang about.

I contribute occassionally to other sites [I'm doing special effects techniques on the 'GOODIES', and cult early 70s TV on some sites,] but COMICS UK is by far my most active site.

P.S.: whatever happened to CAPTAIN STORM? [good title for a topic,----or indeed an adventure comic-strip actually!] come back, cap!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Ray, give it a rest. You are not only ploughing a solitary furrow, you are going to get buried in the hole that you are digging. For example, how can the word gobshite be self deprecating when you are using it to describe somebody else? As for your 1250 posts, the fact is they are either 'a load of b*****ks' or they are not. The quality of the posts is determined by their content not by the people who read them. It is also true that 'the public at large' are not going to be in a position to express an opinion one way or the other because they will not be consulting the comicsuk website, and if they were, presumably you would consider them to be members of 'our happy band'. Furthermore, the word gobshitery is not in my Oxford dictionary and therefore must be deemed not to exist. Shall I write to the compilers or will you? It is also noticeable that in order to compose your most recent post on this thread, you selected Lew's first dictionary definition rather than the second, and possibly more apposite, one of 'a person of very poor judgment'!!! Actually, the solution to the problem probably lies in the fact that different regions sometimes have different emphases or meanings for essentially the same word. Down here in Lancashire and Merseyside if you call someone a gobshite, their reaction could well be a violent one, because here it is synonymous with sh*t house, which is considerably more graphic and offensive. You might just end up explaining to your assailant about the word's 'nice hearty self-deprecating ring' while you are scrambling about in the gutter looking for your teeth.
P.S. I hope we are still friends.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

It's interesting to see this topic morph into the dialects of the country. Must admit that I take a very relaxed view towards the use of the word 'gobshite' especially as I hear much worse at work. Plus when people greet each other with "How the F*** are you, ya ba*****" you know the language is going to be extreme and that's them being on friendly terms!

Amazing to see that I am in the top five as I have not posted much lately. But we have a forum where quality is much better than quantity. In the years that I have been on this forum, I have learned my Rawlings, Kearon, Farrugia and Cooper. Not only that I have always been impressed with the breadth of knowledge that we all have and that we are always ready to help each other out comic-wise. Much better than some of the back-biting that characterises some of the forums that I have seen.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

'Tis a fearsome list with me at No 4! ( Like AndyB my naturally competitive spirit feels the desire to ignore the 'Old forum fella' construct and claim the No 3 spot but I'll restrain myself for fear of stirring up another furore of teacup proportions in the wake of the 'outing' folks as gobshites debacle!)
Lew's score is remarkable though especially when you consider his 'batting average' i.e posts per day which, after well over three years since his first post, still stands at 1.77 compared to other 'frequent flyers' like Peter and myself who both nudge just over 1.4 and that overall, in the history of this forum he has been responsible for 10% of all posts.
In fact between us Lew, Peter and myself have been responsible for nearly a quarter of what has been written here. That is a plain fact, but whether it is a good thing or not is for others to judge.
(Oh and Derek I appreciate your remarks in the spirit in which they were made and ceratinly take no offence at them. Perish the thought).

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The funny thing is I sometimes wonder just how much crap I'm posting and whether I should shut up :)

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Doing a blog and websites on comics means you have plenty to talk about..

Also I'd say the main reason I'm up there...is because I love comics!! :D

It is an obsession...as my Mum says..
I do seem to surround myself with comics...the living room of the flat is covered in them...always reading them..

I read comics daily..

erm I don't eat them..

Also I have other interests and love..
otherwise I wouldn't be married...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:'Tis a fearsome list with me at No 4! ( Like AndyB my naturally competitive spirit feels the desire to ignore the 'Old forum fella' construct and claim the No 3 spot but I'll restrain myself for fear of stirring up another furore of teacup proportions
As I find myself in the strange position of actually agreeing with you, Kashgar, and not being as timid or restrained as you appear to be and, furthermore, not having any personal interest in the outcome, as with a mere 30-odd posts I will probably be somewhere below Unibond league level, perhaps I might be permitted to take up the cudgels on your behalf, and stir up a proper furore. I believe that the Old Forum Fella construct should be instantly deconstructed piece by piece. There can be no room in any league table of members of 'our happy little band' for entities made up of parts like a gigantic Lego or Meccano figure. We could leave it up to Al to do the decent thing but he may well be unwilling to tackle one of his own members, particularly one that big. My suggestion, for what it's worth, is for the contenders to get the construct down to the North West and somehow get him to insult a few locals, perhaps call them gobshites, then settle back to watch the fun. His survival time should be no more than five or six minutes at best after which Peter will be able to move up to number 2, you can ease into position number 3 and Col can rise unopposed into the final Champions League place. While you lot are arranging the deconstruction process, manoeuvring yourselves into your more lofty positions and coming to terms with the more rarefied atmosphere up there, the rest of us can get on with the more healthy business of composing sensible posts for the benefit of all those other members of 'our happy little band' who can still breathe without difficulty down here.

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

Peter Gray wrote:I read comics daily..

erm I don't eat them..
If you ever decide to, tell me what they taste like, please ;) I might try some!

Don't eat Oink, though. You never know what sort of things you'll have had in your mouth :shhh:

*JOKE*
Last edited by Conor B on 07 Apr 2009, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

phoenix4ever wrote:
Kashgar wrote:'Tis a fearsome list with me at No 4! ( Like AndyB my naturally competitive spirit feels the desire to ignore the 'Old forum fella' construct and claim the No 3 spot but I'll restrain myself for fear of stirring up another furore of teacup proportions
As I find myself in the strange position of actually agreeing with you, Kashgar, and not being as timid or restrained as you appear to be and, furthermore, not having any personal interest in the outcome, as with a mere 30-odd posts I will probably be somewhere below Unibond league level, perhaps I might be permitted to take up the cudgels on your behalf, and stir up a proper furore. I believe that the Old Forum Fella construct should be instantly deconstructed piece by piece. There can be no room in any league table of members of 'our happy little band' for entities made up of parts like a gigantic Lego or Meccano figure. We could leave it up to Al to do the decent thing but he may well be unwilling to tackle one of his own members, particularly one that big. My suggestion, for what it's worth, is for the contenders to get the construct down to the North West and somehow get him to insult a few locals, perhaps call them gobshites, then settle back to watch the fun. His survival time should be no more than five or six minutes at best after which Peter will be able to move up to number 2, you can ease into position number 3 and Col can rise unopposed into the final Champions League place. While you lot are arranging the deconstruction process, manoeuvring yourselves into your more lofty positions and coming to terms with the more rarefied atmosphere up there, the rest of us can get on with the more healthy business of composing sensible posts for the benefit of all those other members of 'our happy little band' who can still breathe without difficulty down here.
Stop taking the mickey Derek! But thank you for my daily dose of chuckles! :lol:

And Peter, don't eat the early ones otherwise you might exceed your daily dose of iron... :coat:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Am I picking you up wrong Derek or do I detect a modicum of cynicism when you repeat my phrase 'our happy little band'.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Of course not, Ray. Perish the thought.